Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 2 2012, 04:11 PM   #181
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars Dark Horse comics disscussion and comments

Kegg wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
IIRC he was from Concord Dawn ( is that close enough? ), and now Jango is from Concord Dawn, and thus Boba is a clone of a guy from Concord Dawn. Not too long ago we had a TCW episode saying Jango wasn't a Mandalorian.
Jango not Mandalorian, kind of full circle there. As I recall the first episode with Mandalorians on that show depicting them as pacifists caused bit of a stir and, IIRC, contradicted how Karen Traviss was handling them in her novels (and she left SW writing not long thereafter).
Now I'm by no means an expert on the EU (far from it) but from what I've gathered from the KotOR games and the Clone Wars series is that there's a difference between being a Mandalorian and a "Mandalorian", at least by the time of the films.

On the one hand you have the Mandalorians who are a quasi-nomadic warrior culture, big on personal honour, glory in battle and mercenary work. IIRC these aren't any particular species as there's a cultural tradition of adopting just about anyone they deem worth (i.e. can throw a punch and/or shoot straight.)

On the other hand there's the people who actually live on Mandalore who--according to TCW--appear to be trying to shake their millennia old reputation and heritage as a warrior culture in order to join the Alderanian pacifists' club.

Again, I'm not clear on the details, but I think between the Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire both these groups were put through the grinder so by the post-RotJ period they'd been--for better or worse--reunified.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 04:26 PM   #182
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
On the other hand there's the people who actually live on Mandalore who--according to TCW--appear to be trying to shake their millennia old reputation and heritage as a warrior culture in order to join the Alderanian pacifists' club.
Which, obviously, is exactly the opposite of how Traviss wrote her Mandalorians prior to the Clone Wars series, and she wrote her Mandalorians as existing during the time of that war (and even incoporating Mandalorian culture into the Republic army because Jango Fett).

My point was not a canon discussion of what Mandalorian means right now and more a reminder that it's been retconned a couple of times, and in this case because the TV series is 'more canon' than comic books or novels.
Old November 2 2012, 07:14 PM   #183
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Which, obviously, is exactly the opposite of how Traviss wrote her Mandalorians prior to the Clone Wars series, and she wrote her Mandalorians as existing during the time of that war (and even incoporating Mandalorian culture into the Republic army because Jango Fett).
It's not unlikely that there were rogue mando clans roaming the galaxy.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 07:16 PM   #184
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
How very Ruusan Reformation of you.
Old November 2 2012, 07:40 PM   #185
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

My point was not a canon discussion of what Mandalorian means right now and more a reminder that it's been retconned a couple of times, and in this case because the TV series is 'more canon' than comic books or novels.
By virtue of being closer to the original source (Lucas). If previous writers had been more careful and read the stuff he had a hand in (novels and official club material), it never states that Fett was part of the mandalorians (or earlier the Imperial Shocktroopers), but always that he just wore the armor.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 07:41 PM   #186
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

What the stang is that suposed to mean?
Old November 2 2012, 08:49 PM   #187
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't worry about it too much; just about everything written about the pre-ANH era has probably had to be "adjusted" to fit in with the prequels. Plus it's not like every novel, comic and game have been 100% consistent with each other even before that.

Plus, like I said, having an pacifist Mandalorian state doesn't preclude the existence of nomadic bands of Mandalorian traditionalists. It's a big galaxy.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 09:39 PM   #188
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

This weeks installment of Brian Cronin's excellent web-column "Comic Book Legends Revealed" feaures three urban legends about Marvel's Star Wars comics, including things we've been talking about here and a legend submitted by yours truly.
Old November 2 2012, 09:46 PM   #189
Kegg
Rear Admiral

What the stang is that suposed to mean?
Oh you.

I explained that earlier in this thread, but I basically mean it's a rationalisation to fit together two seemingly opposite bits of canon. Which in Star Wars terms is exactly what the Ruusan Reformation is, clearing up some inconsistencies with pre-TPM EU and an offhand line TPM has about the Republic.

We're gonna see a lot of Ruusan Reformation-esque handwaving in our future, folks.
I wouldn't worry about it too much; just about everything written about the pre-ANH era has probably had to be "adjusted" to fit in with the prequels.
Right. But the context of me using these examples was to discuss the fact that no, the EU is not dead. The EU will have to adjust in reaction to these new movies and they may decanonize chunks of it, but all of that has happened before (and will happen again). It's not that I'm bothered about the Mandalorians as such.
Old November 2 2012, 10:23 PM   #190
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

That's a matter of opinion.
DH amde some unique comics. Marvel focused on milking the big 3.
Dark Horse plans on doing the exact same thing now with their upcoming new ongoing series simply called "Star Wars."

But one thing to take into consideration is that when Marvel had the license, the big 3 were the focus as the original trilogy was still being made at the time. It's like blaming DC Comics for milking Kirk, Spock, and McCoy when they had the original Star Trek license prior to TNG's debut.
Old November 2 2012, 10:28 PM   #191
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

That is a blatant lie. DH has only one book on the Big 3, the Brian Wood one. Most of their efforts has been on side books such as Legacy/Dawn of the Jedi/Agent of the Empire/Knight Errant/Kotor/Crimson Empire.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 11:46 PM   #192
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
That's a matter of opinion.
DH amde some unique comics. Marvel focused on milking the big 3.
Dark Horse plans on doing the exact same thing now with their upcoming new ongoing series simply called "Star Wars."

But one thing to take into consideration is that when Marvel had the license, the big 3 were the focus as the original trilogy was still being made at the time. It's like blaming DC Comics for milking Kirk, Spock, and McCoy when they had the original Star Trek license prior to TNG's debut.
Exactly. This was WAAAY pre-EU. Marvel's Star Wars was a movie tie-in produced at the same time as the movies. They were meant to promote the movies and their characters. I highly doubt that Lucas would have green-lighted a comic that didn't focus on the main cast at that time.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; November 2 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 11:56 PM   #193
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
That is a blatant lie.
Nope. It's the blatant truth.
DH has only one book on the Big 3, the Brian Wood one.
It's no different from Marvel's book that focused on the Big 3. The only thing you can accuse Marvel of is only having one ongoing Star Wars title based off the movies at the time rather than lots of minis and one-shots.
Old November 3 2012, 12:04 AM   #194
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I bet the new big 3 comic will be superior. No more horny rabits and ridiculous penis monsters.
Old November 3 2012, 01:44 AM   #195
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

There's also the minor problem of Traviss depicting all of the planet Mandalore as lacking in the type of urbanized cities that we see on Mandalore in TCW.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote