Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 1 2012, 03:20 AM   #166
Dream
Admiral

Re: Star Wars Dark Horse comics disscussion and comments

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
This will probably the end of the shared continuity, it was nice why it lasted. I actually feel depressed. Seriously, is this normal?
LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

Old November 1 2012, 03:26 AM   #167
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

God, what a bullshitter.
Old November 1 2012, 08:46 PM   #168
Kegg
Rear Admiral

This will probably the end of the shared continuity, it was nice why it lasted.
Nah.

I mean, major events from the Expanded Universe were contradicted by the prequel films - from the idea of the Republic not having major wars to the absence of married Jedi and so on. And then the new Clone Wars TV series also at Lucas' behest has contradicted plot elements normally considered canon.

Every time the EU has either quietly dropped the contradicting material and/or provided a rationalisation (Russan Reformation is my preferred example). We'll see more of the same happen again.

And of course new Star Wars media will mean a new glut of EU content around that media. These movies will inevitably spawn videogames, comic books and novelizations.
Old November 1 2012, 10:17 PM   #169
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

This will probably the end of the shared continuity, it was nice why it lasted. I actually feel depressed. Seriously, is this normal?
No. Most people don't get depressed about the speculation regarding fictional universes.

But in the event that Marvel gets the Star Wars comics license back--and that's not necessarily an automatic given, IMO--the worst-case scenario is the creation of a new shared continuity. Marvel knows what Dark Horse has done with Star Wars, and I think the odds are good that Marvel would want to duplicate that. Marvel did go nine years and more than a hundred consecutive issues the last time they had the license.
Old November 2 2012, 12:04 AM   #170
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Marvel did go nine years and more than a hundred consecutive issues the last time they had the license.
The quality compared to DH sucks.

Every time the EU has either quietly dropped the contradicting material and/or provided a rationalisation (Russan Reformation is my preferred example). We'll see more of the same happen again.
I doubt that. I mean they could major events right into the time let's say the Thrawn trilogy. They could kill characters, make up new characters with sigificaNT ROLES, make up new powers and factions which cannot just dissapear no matter how you try to retcon it. What if they decide to give Luke a son earlier for example or her wife not being Mara Jade?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 12:15 AM   #171
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I doubt that.
I don't see why you would. Even if the new trilogy contradicts entire chunks of the EU, and that seems pretty probable, there's basically no way it will contradict all of it.

So throwing up some rationalisations to save some parts while decanonizing other parts seems plausible.

What if they decide to give Luke a son earlier for example or her wife not being Mara Jade?
They've already decided that the distinction that the Thrawn trilogy makes regarding 'dark Jedi' is meaningless and that what little it says about the Clone Wars is inaccurate.

Also remember when Jester Mereel was Boba Fett's real name, and he wasn't a Mandalorian just a guy who wore Mandalorian armour? Or Han Solo's past as a stormtrooper. Hell, the entire approach to Jedi relationships in the EU - including the idea of Luke marrying at all - got implicitly shafted in Attack of the Clones. This stuff goes by the wayside.
Old November 2 2012, 01:14 AM   #172
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The quality compared to DH sucks.
That's a matter of opinion.
Old November 2 2012, 02:28 AM   #173
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
I mean, major events from the Expanded Universe were contradicted by the prequel films - from the idea of the Republic not having major wars
The prequels only said that the Republic hadn't had a major war in the last millennium. That didn't contradict any previously existing EU events because the EU's major wars were in earlier eras.

Kegg wrote:
Also remember when Jester Mereel was Boba Fett's real name, and he wasn't a Mandalorian just a guy who wore Mandalorian armour?
IIRC he was from Concord Dawn ( is that close enough? ), and now Jango is from Concord Dawn, and thus Boba is a clone of a guy from Concord Dawn. Not too long ago we had a TCW episode saying Jango wasn't a Mandalorian.

Kegg wrote:
Or Han Solo's past as a stormtrooper.
As far as I know, Han as former Imperial cadet is still canon; it was in Blood and Honor. And of course the prequels had nothing whatsoever to say about this.
Old November 2 2012, 08:25 AM   #174
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I don't see why you would. Even if the new trilogy contradicts entire chunks of the EU, and that seems pretty probable, there's basically no way it will contradict all of it.

So throwing up some rationalisations to save some parts while decanonizing other parts seems plausible.
There is a big chance that the whole Post ROTJ EU will get nuked, thats a good emough reason for meto find an another consistent universe.

That's a matter of opinion.
DH amde some unique comics. Marvel focused on milking the big 3.

Also remember when Jester Mereel was Boba Fett's real name, and he wasn't a Mandalorian just a guy who wore Mandalorian armour? Or Han Solo's past as a stormtrooper. Hell, the entire approach to Jedi relationships in the EU - including the idea of Luke marrying at all - got implicitly shafted in Attack of the Clones. This stuff goes by the wayside.
These things can be and were retconned in a way that made sense. Try to retcon Luke being married in 6ABY or having a kid in 10ABY. You cannot retcon it in a way that it would not look completly implausible.
Old November 2 2012, 08:34 AM   #175
Skywalker
Admiral

So if Marvel starts publishing Star Wars comics again in the near future, when should we be expecting Spider-Man and Wolverine to show up?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 08:51 AM   #176
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

It would not suprize me.
Old November 2 2012, 10:12 AM   #177
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

All fans should have a Jedi style funeral pyre of all their EU books and comics. Maybe it will return as a Force Ghost. Of course only you will see it.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 12:06 PM   #178
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
IIRC he was from Concord Dawn ( is that close enough? ), and now Jango is from Concord Dawn, and thus Boba is a clone of a guy from Concord Dawn. Not too long ago we had a TCW episode saying Jango wasn't a Mandalorian.
Jango not Mandalorian, kind of full circle there. As I recall the first episode with Mandalorians on that show depicting them as pacifists caused bit of a stir and, IIRC, contradicted how Karen Traviss was handling them in her novels (and she left SW writing not long thereafter).

As far as I know, Han as former Imperial cadet is still canon; it was in Blood and Honor. And of course the prequels had nothing whatsoever to say about this.
And that's still canon because the EU decided that maybe the stormtroopers aren't all clonetroopers because that makes handling the canon a lot easier as no pre-AOTC works suggested they were an army of clones.

But yeah. This issue with flexible canon has happened before and it's why Lucasfilm has its tiered canon system.
Old November 2 2012, 01:38 PM   #179
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I don't recall the EU ever establishing that Han had been a stormtrooper. He was trained as a TIE starfighter pilot, then was in charge of a Wookiee construction detail on Coruscant for a very brief time before being court-martialed.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 03:22 PM   #180
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Kegg posted:
Jango not Mandalorian, kind of full circle there. As I recall the first episode with Mandalorians on that show depicting them as pacifists caused bit of a stir and, IIRC, contradicted how Karen Traviss was handling them in her novels (and she left SW writing not long thereafter).
That could had been retconed. Traviss was a mando worshipper and the franchise is better of without her.