Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2012, 01:59 AM   #1801
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Christopher wrote: View Post
So now that Lucas has stepped aside and turned the reins over to others, the odds of actually seeing SW: Underworld on the air have just gotten much better.
I hope not. I don't give a gundark's butt about crimelords and bounty hunters. I want to see the early battles of the Rebellion and the struggle of the surviving Jedi to survive the New Order.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 02:36 AM   #1802
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

There's no reason to cancel The Clone Wars, which is getting strong ratings. Maybe let it run through the planned S5 and use it as a jumping off point to a new animated series on DisneyXD. Assuming Ahsoka survives the end of TCW, she'd be the ideal main character for a post-ROTS series. Iger's statements sound like he wants to make use of everything that makes sense from the Star Wars universe, on TV and movies.

But I'm sure he'd see nuBSG as being too adult for the Disney image, or the Star Wars image as he sees it. nuBSG is not "family friendly," if for no other reason than that it's too complex for young children. Complexity is more the issue than violence. Kids watched their hero Luke blow up a Death Star full of poor imperial draftees and that wasn't considered too violent for their impressionable young minds.

PS, I'm losing track of what has or hasn't been quoted here already vs the five other threads going at the same time. Here's the video where Iger calls it a "family franchise":

Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 04:42 AM   #1803
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Cool. I wonder if they'll pick up any other sci-fi veterans?
Ben Browder, Connor Trineer, Christopher Judge, Claudia Black...there must be a couple dozen names I could come up with, of genre actors who need to get back on TV asap.
FYI, Claudia Black is guesting on HAVEN this week.
Old November 1 2012, 08:46 AM   #1804
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

FOX developing Greek God action drama

Greek Gods are hot at Fox this development season. The network has put in development Olympus, an action drama created by writer-director Peter Berg and actor-writer Taylor Sheridan (Sons Of Anarchy). The project, from Universal TV and Berg and Sarah Aubrey’s studio-based Film 44, is described as “Bourne by way of 300.” It centers on a decorated soldier-turned-spy who finds out he actually is descended from the Greek Gods and may just be humanity’s last hope. In his broadcast pilot writing debut, Sheridan will write the script.
Old November 1 2012, 11:40 AM   #1805
stj
Rear Admiral

AKA Percy Jackson with hairy balls.
Old November 1 2012, 05:43 PM   #1806
sojourner
Admiral

I was reminded of the "modern day" episodes of Hercules and Xena.
Old November 1 2012, 10:36 PM   #1807
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I was reminded of about ten thousand "today-I-learned-I-am-the-chosen-one" plots.
Old November 2 2012, 12:27 AM   #1808
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Like so many shows lately, this would be more interesting if they didn't insist on modern day timeframe.
Old November 2 2012, 12:30 AM   #1809
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Oooh fresh meat! BBC plans zombie series.

That's one clean-cut zombie. Did the apocalypse hit Utah first?
Old November 2 2012, 12:43 AM   #1810
JD
Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post

Greek Gods are hot at Fox this development season. The network has put in development Olympus, an action drama created by writer-director Peter Berg and actor-writer Taylor Sheridan (Sons Of Anarchy). The project, from Universal TV and Berg and Sarah Aubrey’s studio-based Film 44, is described as “Bourne by way of 300.” It centers on a decorated soldier-turned-spy who finds out he actually is descended from the Greek Gods and may just be humanity’s last hope. In his broadcast pilot writing debut, Sheridan will write the script.
Could be interesting. I love Greek mythology.
Old November 2 2012, 01:00 AM   #1811
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Oooh fresh meat! BBC plans zombie series.
Contra the article,
With its central themes of redemption, forgiveness, acceptance, denial, and the very essence of what it means to be alive or dead, In The Flesh is a complex but tender look at what happens when families get a second chance at mending their past and working together towards an unpredictable future.
does not sound like something that'll appeal to Walking Dead fans much.
Old November 2 2012, 03:47 AM   #1812
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Ooh I get it, his name is Walker, hah hah!

Begs to be re-titled Hell-A:

Evolve is set two years after a mysterious biological agent is released over Los Angeles when the city is still deemed too toxic to inhabit
How could they tell? wakka wakka

and remains sealed off from the rest of society. A small group of ordinary citizens outside the quarantined zone, who do not believe the government’s story, embark on a mission to uncover the truth of what happened to their family members who were inside the affected area. What they discover is a world where once-ordinary humans now have extraordinary abilities and powerful government forces seek to destroy them.
Old November 2 2012, 09:44 AM   #1813
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

In The Flesh sounds like they're taking the Being Human approach to Walking Dead-- I like Being Human, but this premise doesn't excite me much, perhaps because I'm on Zombie overload.

Like so many shows lately, this would be more interesting if they didn't insist on modern day timeframe.
I'd love to see more period pieces in genre TV and movies, but a modern approach to Greek gods could work. But how about somebody who discovers the scenario because they're educated and curious and stumble on it in their research, and not just because their mommy didn't tell them who their real daddy is?
Old November 2 2012, 11:40 AM   #1814
lennier1
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post

Could be interesting. I love Greek mythology.
Could be nice. A comedy series from New Zealand (wiki entry) made rather good use of a similar idea, though they were using Norse mythology to draw ideas from.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 02:55 PM   #1815
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
In The Flesh sounds like they're taking the Being Human approach to Walking Dead-- I like Being Human, but this premise doesn't excite me much, perhaps because I'm on Zombie overload.

I'd love to see more period pieces in genre TV and movies, but a modern approach to Greek gods could work. But how about somebody who discovers the scenario because they're educated and curious and stumble on it in their research, and not just because their mommy didn't tell them who their real daddy is?
"Oh, did I forget to mention that, when I said your Father was a "Greek God" I meant it literally"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote