RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,722
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 777
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Persistence of Memory.
Outstanding 69 57.02%
Above Average 40 33.06%
Average 10 8.26%
Below Average 1 0.83%
Poor 1 0.83%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 1 2012, 05:32 PM   #121
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 06:41 PM   #122
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

Spoilers in the subject, don't know how to use spoilder blocks

When Jasminder died I litterally said out loud "oh my god." it was sudden, brutal and heart wrenching for a character I didnt' even like. I've never read a sentence where a man pulls a phaser and just vaporizes a main character. This was Tasha Yar all over again.

I felt bad for Worf. He's taking the term Lady Killer far to litterally. I think this may be the start for a Worf he returns to the Empire, his Starfleet career has cost him three women now.

This may be the arc where he joins the High Council and perhaps becomes Governor of Hatoria.
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 07:00 PM   #123
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm not done yet, but the book makes it pretty clear that this is Data 2.0.
Old November 1 2012, 07:27 PM   #124
Christopher
Writer

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Nobody is getting my point -- probably because you're judging it without having actually read the book, which is no way to go about having a discussion. I'm not saying it has to be interpreted one way or the other. My whole point is that it's ambiguous enough that you can interpret it either way depending on your personal preferences.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 08:39 PM   #125
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I had to redownload mine today. Expecting to start it by Sunday before I read to many spolier like posts.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 08:56 PM   #126
BillJ
Admiral

Nobody is getting my point -- probably because you're judging it without having actually read the book, which is no way to go about having a discussion. I'm not saying it has to be interpreted one way or the other. My whole point is that it's ambiguous enough that you can interpret it either way depending on your personal preferences.
I get your point just fine. But the explanation Soong gives, he's simply downloading the memories of Data from B4 into a new android body. Hence, Data 2.0.
Old November 1 2012, 09:09 PM   #127
Christopher
Writer

From what you say, I don't think you've reached the end of the book yet. It's not as simple as that at all.

Old November 1 2012, 10:57 PM   #128
BillJ
Admiral

From what you say, I don't think you've reached the end of the book yet. It's not as simple as that at all.
Just finished the book and I don't really see anything that conflicts with my original statement. Even Data says that his life before had concluded.

As far as a rating goes, I'd say its average. Solid but not spectacular.

It had a lot of interesting ideas but it bogged down in the middle. Didn't care for the death of Choudhury, just a road we've been down a couple of times already with Worf. It felt repetitive. Have a feeling that it'll lead Worf to question his fitness for command and whether he wants to stay in Starfleet.
Old November 1 2012, 11:01 PM   #129
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Just finished the book and I don't really see anything that conflicts with my original statement. Even Data says that his life before had concluded.

It had a lot of interesting ideas but it bogged down in the middle. Didn't care for the death of Choudhury, just a road we've been down a couple of times already with Worf. It felt repetitive. Have a feeling that it'll lead Worf to question his fitness for command and whether he wants to stay in Starfleet.
Which makes me wonder if their not planning to try to some how fit the novels into leading into something based on or similar to Star Trek Online.
Old November 1 2012, 11:05 PM   #130
BillJ
Admiral

Which makes me wonder if their not planning to try to some how fit the novels into leading into something based on or similar to Star Trek Online.
Or Star Trek: Countdown?
Old November 1 2012, 11:16 PM   #131
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I'm a few chapters into part 2, and enjoying it so far. I was a little sceptical about Soong showing up (new android body aside), because revealing characters presumed long dead to actually be with us still, only hiding, is difficult to pull off even for an author as good as Mack (for all that it's consistant with Soong's behaviour). However, part 2 is reassuring me so far, because any objections are being soothed by the great first-person insight into Soong's character. I don't recall Mack attempting this before but thus far it's very successful. I guess that's the first reminder that tricky plot elements can be swallowed easily if the writing is good enough. Whether the novel will pass the second round of that test when a certain someone is returned to the ranks of the functional in...some capacity (yes, I've been reading some of your spoilers)...well, I'll have to wait and see. I've got a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be left in an uncomfortable place regarding it; I'll explain more, naturally, when I've finished the book and discovered if I'm right or not.
Old November 1 2012, 11:25 PM   #132
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Or Star Trek: Countdown?
Well Countdown is part of STO's backstory so its not like it has to be a one or the other thing.

Though if they go this way I'm going to be further annoyed becuase it makes the novl guys come off (to me at least) as incapable of furthering the Trek timeline on their own.
Old November 1 2012, 11:55 PM   #133
zarkon
Captain

Book turned up today, just finished reading it

-Choudhury - awesome, wish I hadn't been accidentally spoiled on the fact that that was going to happen beforehand, would have been even better.
-Data - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xjBAd5G84

Overall a pretty fun book. As previously mentioned, flint being mentioned outside of TOS feels kinds weird, but I like Vandal Savage style characters anyhoo.
Old November 2 2012, 01:02 AM   #134
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Great book, typical high-quality writing from Mr. Mack.

Part 2 was remarkably well-written and entirely engaging. In part 3, the stylistic use of intercuts, such as "Three Minutes Ago", were a welcome storytelling technique and added a bit fun to what could have been some very grim scenes. It reminded me of a Moffet-penned Doctor Who episode.

The "story developments" of the novel were tactfully handled and I imagine them stirring very strong reactions in the reading audience (if the posters on this thread are any indication) but I will say that actual readers of the book will feel much more positive about the story's conclusion than those who seem to be basing their opinions on heresay. Going into this book, I was very ambivalent about what I suspected was going to occur with a certain erstwhile crew member, but the strength of Mr. Mack's story won me over. I'm now excited to read the next volume and see where the narrative goes from here.

On a side note, I wonder when we'll be hearing from the mysterious figure that popped in and out of Part 2: in the second volume of this trilogy or the third? I don't think the summoning device he left was destroyed in the destruction of the privately-owned moon, so I'll assume it's still in play somewhere -- possibly hidden inside that cool Archeus ship and just waiting to be activated.

I, for one, can't wait to read what happens next.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 01:24 AM   #135
Christopher
Writer

Just finished the book and I don't really see anything that conflicts with my original statement.
It's not about a conflict. Your original statement simply overlooked some additional factors.

Even Data says that his life before had concluded.