Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 28 2012, 05:02 PM   #1126
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

31) Argo (2012) - A
32) Cloud Atlas (2012) - C

Argo

This is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I can't believe this is the same Ben Affleck who was in movies like Giji (Which I have never seen) but there was a few years when he was kind of the mockery of the Entertainment world. With movies like this and Gone Baby Gone, I'd say he's one of the best directors in the Entertainment world. Not only that, but I've always found him to be a good actor and he showed it in this movie.

I wasn't familiar with this story, so that final 30 minutes was edge of your seat excitement. That tension was so high and that was such a fast paced, but well directed scene it might just gerner an oscar nomination for best movie. I do think if there was one flaw to the movie it was it didn't entirely know what it wanted to be. We go from ultra serious and depressing to pretty much a comedy when they got to LA, but maybe that was the point. Still, it was a well made film, and it's definitely going on my top films of the year list.

Cloud Atlas

I'm not entirely sure how to talk about this movie because for the most part, I didn't entirely like it. The only reason I gave it a C was because it's a movie that felt really original in terms of how it was shot and the ambitiousness of it all. It's more "I understand the Wachowski's took a risk, and while it might not have worked to full success, I wish more movie makers were like this".

I think my main problem with the movie is if you take the Matrix phlysiophical story and multipy that by like 10, that's what Cloud Atlas was. I understand they were trying to talk about reincarnation and how life is connected, but I think the only connection I made was the very first part of the credits when you're seeing the actors and the various roles that they played. Another issue I had is I'm probably not going to see this movie again because it was long, and I was fidgeting a lot through it. I'm not sure if there is a way to tell this story but shorten the length, but there were things in this movie that were hard to follow. For example, all the stuff in the scenes taking place after the fall, that really took me out of the movie. Maybe there should have been subtitles because I couldn't understand what Hanks and Berry were saying, but I understood them in their other scenes.

Overall though, I applaud the Wachowski's for adapting this story to film (I've never read the book), even if there were flaws to it all.

Theater: 13 (+2)
BluRay: 9
On Demand/TV: 4
Itunes: 6
Old October 28 2012, 06:40 PM   #1127
Lord Garth
Captain

AEon Flux (2005) -- 3/4
Argo (2012) -- 4/4
The Andromeda Strain (1971) -- 2.5/4
Barbarella (1968) -- 1.5/4
A Crack in the Earth (1964) -- 3/4
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) -- 2/4
Mr. Deeds (2002) -- 2.5/4
Prometheus (2012) -- 4/4
Take Me Home (2011) -- 3.5/4
The Transatlantic Tunnel (1935) -- 2.5/4
When Do We Eat? (2005) -- 3/4
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 09:44 AM   #1128
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Hatari! - DVD
Bachelorette - free admission
Hotel Transylvania 3D - free admission
Looper - free admission
Won't Back Down - free admission
Taken 2 - free admission
Pitch Perfect - free admission
Frankenweenie 3D - free admission
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - free admission
Miami Connection (1987) - employee screenin'
Salt - DVD
The House at the End of the Street - theater
Wake in Fright - free admission
Sinister - free admission
Beer is Cheaper than Therapy - matinee
Here Comes the Boom - free admission
Argo - free admission
End of Watch - matinee
Paranormal Activity 2: Unrated Director's Cut - DVD
Paranormal Activity 3 - DVD
The Mummy (1932) - free admission
Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D - free admission
Paranormal Activity 3: Unrated Director's Cut - DVD
Alex Cross - matinee
The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training - DVD
The Bad News Bears Go to Japan - DVD
An American Werewolf in London (1981) - free admission
Paranormal Activity 4 - free admission
Bad News Bears (2005) - DVD

Just finished the BNB remake with Billy Bob Thorton as the coach of the little league Bears.

Not a great movie, sticks pretty close to the original with Walter Mathau. Most of the changes seemed to be cosmetic ones.

Still, it was part of the four DVD set, so I watched it.

I've got a pass to see The Sessions this week, and a plan to see Cloud Atlas. Gonna have to check out Chasing Mavericks and Fun Size, since I can get into 'em both for free, though the commercials I saw the other day didn't interest me much. Maybe the movies will be better than the promotions department knows how to show?

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
... I can't believe this is the same Ben Affleck who was in movies like Giji (Which I have never seen)...
If ya haven't seen it, why bring it up? Just 'cause ya heard it was bad & it was made while he was bein' mocked for his relationship with Jennifer Lopez?

Not that I'm defendin' Gigli, it was a steamin' pile, but it'd be like me sayin', "I can't believe Tom Hanks would be nominated for so many Oscars and even win a couple after he made The Man with One Red Shoe, which I haven't seen, but, really, who did?"

What I like about the Argo promotion is that it follows the evolution of Ben Affleck's credit as a director. When Gone Baby Gone was bein' released, the trailers didn't mention he was the director. It turned out to be a decent success, so he went on to director The Town, which the trailers specified "From the Director of Gone Baby Gone" but still didn't mention Ben Affleck by name, except as the film's star. And it was a pretty big success. And then the trailers for Argo finally mention, "From Ben Affleck, Director of The Town..." That was amusin' to me.

Last edited by od0_ital; October 30 2012 at 02:01 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 04:01 PM   #1129
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

The only reason I brought up Gigli was because it was universally bashed in and it was during a time he was going through a really tough time, with that whole Jennifer Lopez thing? My point mainly was I'm glad he's turned it around from that time in his life and is making and being in quality movies.
Old October 29 2012, 09:35 PM   #1130
Harvey
Admiral

166. The Thin Red Line (B+)
167. Return of the Jedi (B)

The Thin Red Line: Like all of Terrence Malick's filmography, this film is beautiful to look at. And although he apparently did not like directing them, the battle scenes are exceptionally well realized, and refreshingly without glamorization. I think the film falls short of the greatness of Malick's other films, however. There are simply too many main characters for all of them to receive worthwhile focus. The film is notorious for cutting out several Hollywood stars completely, but for my money, it doesn't go far enough, as the film goes off in so many different directions that it never quite seems to know what it's about.

Return of the Jedi: I know this film tends to get criticized among fandom, but I think it's a perfectly fine conclusion to the series. The Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes in particular are exceptional -- perhaps my favorite ones in the trilogy. It's not without flaws, of course. It spends a bit too long resolving the cliffhanger at Jabba's palace, and Boba Fett has such a lousy death scene that I wonder why he was included in the movie in the first place (I thought he was a bounty hunter, not a mercenary?). At times, it's disappointing that Lucas overwrote Kasdan's instincts to kill of a main character and up the ante, but the finale still works for me. I'm happy I have a bootleg of the theatrical version, though; the changes made over the years to this film have been particularly awful (Jedi Rocks, Hayden Christensen as the ghost in the end, Vader's new "nooooo" dialogue).

Theatres: 53
Home Video: 104+2
Computer: 9

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 09:44 PM   #1131
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Let's see... in the last few weeks I've watched:

The Spy Who Loved Me
Octopussy
Live and Let Die
Die Another Day
Rebecca
Strangers on a Train
Psycho
Old October 30 2012, 05:04 AM   #1132
CaptainCanada
Admiral

118. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (C+)

This would have made an interesting double-bill with 1984's other big Raj piece, A Passage to India.

The reception to this was mixed, as I knew before watching it, particularly Kate Capshaw's character. She is, indeed, supposed to be annoying, but while this works okay at first, it very quickly grates, and there's no real chemistry between her and Harrison Ford. Jonathan Ke Quan's Short Round is fine (he's confident and competent, unlike many kid sidekicks, though I imagine there's an instinctive resistance among many fans to that sort of character), but the character and Capshaw's contrast very unfavourably with Karen Allen and John Rhys Davies in the first film. There's a pretty pronounced difference in the depth of their characters and relationships with the hero.

Storywise, the opening sequence is quite a bit of fun, but once the trio actually get to India it gets rather dreary pretty quickly.

Cinema: 32
Home Video: 73 (+1)
Computer: 13

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 08:52 AM   #1133
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Amazing Spider-man (7)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
The Bourne Legacy (9)
Cloud Atlas (9)
The Dark Knight Rises (10)
Daybreakers (5)
Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
The Expendables 2 (8)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Garasu no Usagi (Glass Rabbit) (7)
Gattaca (8)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence (6)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
.hack//The Movie: Beyond The World (7)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
Justice League: Doom (7)
Justice League: New Frontier (6)
Justice League: Starcrossed (8)
King of Thorn (9)
K-ON!: The Movie (8)
L.A. Confidential (9)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Looper (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Resident Evil (4)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Space Battleship Yamato (2010) (8)
Starship Troopers: Invasion (6)
Superman: Doomsday (8)
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (8)
Taken 2 (8)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Total Recall (2012) (8)
Towanoquon Movie 1 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 2 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 3 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 4 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 5 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 6 (9)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 86
Old October 30 2012, 05:05 PM   #1134
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

83. Alex Cross: A-
84. RockNRolla: B-
85. Paranormal Activity 4: B
86. Argo: A+
87. Skyline: F

This movie is just out right horrible. Who read this screen play and thought money should be behind it? Once made how was the decision bypassed to send it DDVD not made? About half way through I kept thinking surely a payoff would come that made some sense, it didn't. It's one of those where after the ridiculousness of the finale with a main character happens the movie just ends. Did some suit think this was a good cliffhanger? That this concept screamed franchise. Let's revisit this with altered main character and the alien struggle in a sequel?Even still the audience has to care about the "heroes" to begin with. Sooooo so, so, so bad.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 04:59 AM   #1135
CaptainCanada
Admiral

119. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (A-)

A notable improvement for the third installment. The biggest strength is clearly the improvement of the supporting cast, with returning figures from the first film (Rhys Davies and Elliot) and added Sean Connery. There are quite a few highly engaging setpieces, beginning with the origins of the young Indiana, and Indy's relationship with his father brings a little emotion to the proceedings that was absent last time. At the same time, it's not without flaws; it hews quite closely to the plot beats of the first film in a lot of ways, and the climax replicates so many beats as to come across as too much of a copy. It's also rather abruptly staged at a number of points, robbing some moments of weight. All the same, it's highly enjoyable.

Next day, a hiatus for a Halloween double-bill, and then on Thursday we'll take a look at the controversial Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Cinema: 32
Home Video: 74 (+1)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
87. Skyline: F
I read that as Skyfall at first, and was thinking "really, an F?"

- Homer Simpson
Old October 31 2012, 08:42 AM   #1136
Harvey
Admiral

168. The Facts of Life (C)

The Facts of Life: Lucille Ball followed the end of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour (and her marriage to Desi Arnaz) with this film, an alleged romantic comedy that is at best mildly amusing and at worst much closer to a Douglas Sirk-directed melodrama (before he went to color). Visually, its almost an example of film noir, and Lucy's flashback narration does little to dissuade this reading. Made in 1960, the two lead characters (Lucille Ball and Bob Hope; they have a bit of an affair, although circumstances prevent it from becoming sexual) eventually decide to go back to their spouses, even though one is married to a compulsive gambler who has shown no interest in his wife and the other is married to a wife who completely ignores him. The final scenes, of course, reverse these character's attitudes, if for no other reason than the production code's dictate that the nuclear family must be happy and stable.

Theatres: 53
Home Video: 104
Computer: 10+1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 10:57 AM   #1137
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Hatari! - DVD
Bachelorette - free admission
Hotel Transylvania 3D - free admission
Looper - free admission
Won't Back Down - free admission
Taken 2 - free admission
Pitch Perfect - free admission
Frankenweenie 3D - free admission
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - free admission
Miami Connection (1987) - employee screenin'
Salt - DVD
The House at the End of the Street - theater
Wake in Fright - free admission
Sinister - free admission
Beer is Cheaper than Therapy - matinee
Here Comes the Boom - free admission
Argo - free admission
End of Watch - matinee
Paranormal Activity 2: Unrated Director's Cut - DVD
Paranormal Activity 3 - DVD
The Mummy (1932) - free admission
Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D - free admission
Paranormal Activity 3: Unrated Director's Cut - DVD
Alex Cross - matinee
The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training - DVD
The Bad News Bears Go to Japan - DVD
An American Werewolf in London (1981) - free admission
Paranormal Activity 4 - free admission
Bad News Bears (2005) - DVD
Chasing Mavericks - free admission

Went in to see a free movie before work today, picked the new Gerard Butler surfer movie 'cause it ended before my shift started and 'cause its one of two new movies bein' shown.

It wasn't terrible, but it was immediately forgetable.

Story of a kid who idolizes a neighbor after his life is saved by the neighbor. As a teen, the kid learns to surf and gets quite good at it, and learns about the "maverick" waves just in time to train for 'em before El Nino in '94.

Gerard Butler is the neighbor who trains the kid.

Meh...

On the plus side, I did see the new trailer for the first Hobbit movie comin' out in a month! YAY!
Old November 1 2012, 03:48 AM   #1138
CaptainCanada
Admiral

120. Dracula (C-)
121. Frankenstein (B)

The Cineplex screened these two 1931 movies back-to-back (they also share two castmembers: Edward Van Sloan, who specializes in playing professors, and Dwight Frye, who specializes in playing ridiculously over-the-top weirdos).

Both of these movies have contributed so much to pop culture iconography that it's hard to overstate their influence, but beyond its historical status there's really not much to Dracula. It's stagebound, features a lot of rather poor acting (particularly the guy playing Jonathan Harker), and its climax is particularly unsatisfying; when compared with the far more dramatic and dynamic Frankenstein, released the same year, it seems particularly inadequate.

Cinema: 34 (+2)
Home Video: 74

- Homer Simpson
Old November 1 2012, 05:43 AM   #1139
Agent Richard07
Admiral

296. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A man who's wife just left him sets out on a road trip with a young lady just weeks before the world is about to be hit by an asteroid. Stars Steve Carrell and Keira Knightley. This isn't a spoofy comedy like I thought it would be. It's a slightly serious, but lighthearted look at our characters as the world is about to end. The personal dramas aren't fleshed out that well, but the characters and the impending doom provide for an engaging experience. I especially loved Knightley's flirty and sexual character. Also, the trailer had people still going to work despite the world ending, but when you watch the movie and give it a little thought, it makes more sense and doesn't seem all that absurd.

297. That's My Boy (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - Teen becomes a news sensation after getting his hot teacher pregnant. A couple of decades later, he tries to re-enter the grown kid's life because he needs money. Stars Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg. This is actually a pretty fun movie if you like a lot of pop culture references. Vanilla Ice and Todd Bridges are also there. They play themselves as washed up celebrities working at a fast food place. Kudos to them for being willing to poke fun at themselves. One of the parts I liked best though was seeing Susan Sarandon play the older version of the young hot teacher that got pregnant. She was made up very well to look like the the younger character who happened to be played by her daughter Eva Amurri. She even carried herself the same way her daughter's flirty character did. It was amazing.

298. The Illusionist (✩✩✩✩½) - DVD - A period piece set in Austria about an illusionist, lost love and an obsessed investigator. Stars Edward Norton, Jessica Biel, Rufus Sewell and Paul Giamatti. I found this to be an incredible piece of work with an interesting cast of characters, from Norton's character who makes you marvel and wonder at his illusions, to Giamatti's obsession with figuring him out, to Sewell's mad jealousy. You can kind of predict the ending, but that's outweighed by the impressive nature of everything else. Better than a David Copperfield show.

299. Fright Night (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A guy who may be a vampire moves innext door. Stars Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin and David Tennant. I liked this movie mainly because it tried something different… Being fun rather than being scary or as grewsome as possible. And I especially enjoyed Tennant as a Vegas goth performer. He was so anti-Who in appearance and demeanor that I didn't recognize him at first.

300. House of Wax (1953) (✩✩✩) - Live TV - The 2005 movie is a loose remake of this. Stars Vincent Price. I wanted to check this out after having seen the 2005 version. It had some mild similarities in that it has a character who makes wax figures, but the story, setting and era are nothing alike.

301. Dinner for Schmucks (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - A man trying to advance his career is invited to a special dinner by his boss. It's an event where the guest has to find an idiot and bring him along so that he can be made fun of by the other guests. Stars Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell. The movie wasn't well received, but I loved it. It was funny and had both heart and buffoonery. And by buffooonery, I mean honesty. A lot of the "stupid behavior" from a few of the characters were just people truly being themselves, eccentricities and all. I liked that. This is supposed to be a remake of a french movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

302. Safety Not Guaranteed (✩✩✩✩✩) - On Demand - Some reporters working for a small-time magazine are looking for an interesting story. Anything. Then they find an ad put out by a guy seeking a partner to travel through time with him. Our main characters then set out to find this guy to see what he's all about and to write their article. Stars Aubrey Plaza. I thought this was a phenomenal independent film. It's a character piece more than anything but it'll keep you watching. Please check it out if you get the chance.

Theatre: 18
DVD/Blu-ray: 113
Live TV: 119
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 43
Internet: 4

Last edited by Agent Richard07; November 1 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 05:50 AM   #1140
Agent Richard07
Admiral

October Rundown (25 Movies)

5 Stars
Safety Not Guaranteed - On Demand

4½ Stars
From Dusk Till Dawn - Live TV
The Ides of March - Blu-ray
The Illusionist - DVD

4 Stars
Daybreakers - Live TV
Dinner for Schmucks - DVD
Exotica - DVD
Surrogates - Live TV
The Last Unicorn - Blu-ray

3½ Stars
Fright Night - DVD
Going the Distance - DVD
Post Grad - Live TV
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - On Demand
That's My Boy - On Demand
The Groomsmen - DVD

3 Stars
All About Steve - Live TV
House of Wax (1953) - Live TV
Law Abiding Citizen - DVD
Taken 2 - Theatre
The Fourth Kind - Live TV
The Game - DVD

2½ Stars
None

2 Stars
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever - Live TV
House of Wax (2005) - DVD

1½ Stars
Whiteout - DVD

1 Star
Cabin Fever - Live TV

½ Star
None

0 Stars
None

Last edited by Agent Richard07; November 1 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote