Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 31 2012, 03:00 PM   #91
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion in cash and stock.

^Well I might have laboured under a misapprehension all these years. It was my understanding that though he wrote/directed ANH, he was actually quite restrained by the studio/and especially the budget. With the TESB I'd heard he was side-lined quite a bit but by the time ROTJ came back, although he didn't write/direct, he actually had a lot of creative control and obviously the money to burn (hence why we got a variation of the aborted Wookies vs Stormtroopers fight he wanted in ANH).

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:51 PM   #92
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Oh gawd..

R2DUCK2...?
Darth Mouse?
Emperor MC Scrooge?

Let me guess... the Death Star will get two HUGE saucer shaped antennas?
Old October 31 2012, 04:47 PM   #93
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Santaman wrote: View Post
Oh gawd..

R2DUCK2...?
Darth Mouse?
Emperor MC Scrooge?

They've had Star Wars days at Disney for years. They've done Disney-as-Star Wars characters for years. I have a pin with Stitch as Emperor Palpy that looks awesome.

I'm not seeing a down side to this.
Old October 31 2012, 05:01 PM   #94
Starkers
Admiral

The Valeyard wrote: View Post
Santaman wrote: View Post
Oh gawd..

R2DUCK2...?
Darth Mouse?
Emperor MC Scrooge?

They've had Star Wars days at Disney for years. They've done Disney-as-Star Wars characters for years. I have a pin with Stitch as Emperor Palpy that looks awesome.

I'm not seeing a down side to this.
You will do. You will do...

(sorry couldn't resist)

Old October 31 2012, 05:07 PM   #95
Christopher
Writer

Judge Death wrote: View Post
^Well I might have laboured under a misapprehension all these years. It was my understanding that though he wrote/directed ANH, he was actually quite restrained by the studio/and especially the budget. With the TESB I'd heard he was side-lined quite a bit but by the time ROTJ came back, although he didn't write/direct, he actually had a lot of creative control and obviously the money to burn (hence why we got a variation of the aborted Wookies vs Stormtroopers fight he wanted in ANH).
Well, you could be right too. I'm not really an expert.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 05:14 PM   #96
Relayer1
Commodore

I think Lucas treatments handed over to a good writer could bear excellent fruit (ESB being a pointer) and Disney isn't exactly the creative vacuum living on past glories that it was in the decades prior to the Pixar/Marvel deals.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the future of the Star Wars film franchise and possibly the postponed TV show (if it doesn't morph into the new run of films like the TOS revival/TMP), but I'm glad I lost interest in the SW expanded universe a while ago. I can't see much chance of future films adhering to or even skirting novel continuity. Their best hope is that as Ford and Fisher are unlikely to appear in the new movies, Han and Leia don't get a mention...
Old October 31 2012, 07:53 PM   #97
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Hmmm, what about The Clone Wars? Will Cartoon Network keep the rights to air it?
No reason why not, unless Disney chooses to buy out Cartoon Network's licensing contract. It's hardly unprecedented for a show owned by one corporation to air on a network owned by another -- for instance, Warner Bros.'s Fringe airing on FOX. There are advantages to having your own corporation's show on your own corporation's network, but it's certainly not mandatory.
Bob Iger mentioned that he likes Star Wars as a TV property and that DisneyXD is a good place for it, so he's taking about the whole idea of kid-friendly animation. They might let The Clone Wars finish its run on the Cartoon Network and then launch a new series on DisneyXD. They might just have animated series run indefinitely, covering different time periods as an adjunct to the movie series.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 08:10 PM   #98
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Amanda Lucas is an MMA fighter...
Wow, seriously? Is she any good?

... say no one can keep a secret anymore in the internet age, negotiations must have been ongoing for a while.
That's what's impressed me the most about the whole thing. It's super-rare for a takeover of this magnitude to be kept completely under wraps until the official announcement. It usually leaks to some market participant a day or two in advance. I suppose Sandy had some impact in keeping it off the market's radar.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 09:14 PM   #99
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Her Wiki entry says she's been in five matches so far, of which she has won four.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:09 PM   #100
Starkers
Admiral

Holdfast wrote: View Post

... say no one can keep a secret anymore in the internet age, negotiations must have been ongoing for a while.
That's what's impressed me the most about the whole thing. It's super-rare for a takeover of this magnitude to be kept completely under wraps until the official announcement. It usually leaks to some market participant a day or two in advance. I suppose Sandy had some impact in keeping it off the market's radar.
I knew Disney had to be behind that hurricane...

Old October 31 2012, 11:16 PM   #101
Dream
Admiral

At this point, I think Star Wars will never again be on television outside of animation shows like Clone Wars.

You know how the saying goes...

Why pay to see a movie when you can watch the show at home for free?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:33 PM   #102
Christopher
Writer

Dream wrote: View Post
At this point, I think Star Wars will never again be on television outside of animation shows like Clone Wars.

You know how the saying goes...

Why pay to see a movie when you can watch the show at home for free?
I don't think the evidence bears that out. Six of the Star Trek movies came out during a period when there were Star Trek television shows on the air, and several of those movies were quite successful. The first X-Files movie came out during the show's run and did reasonably well. Going back a ways, the 1966 Batman movie, released between the first two seasons of the associated show, did moderately well in theaters.

Not to mention that presumably a Star Wars TV series would focus on different characters and storylines than the movies, so they wouldn't be equivalent.

On another subject, given how many SW-related threads there suddenly are now and how many there will be over the years to come, I wonder how long it'll be before the TrekBBS reestablishes a separate Star Wars subforum within Science Fiction & Fantasy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 12:11 AM   #103
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, franchises build uo excitement and awareness by spanning across in different media, so it would make perfect sense for there to be Star Wars in both movies and TV (and books and games).

But it's hitting the same niche audience/big budget prolem Star Trek on TV does. Animation is cheaper and makes more sense for space opera.

And it may be strange to call Star Wars a niche audience but a weekly series wouldn't have the same universal appeal as summer blockbusters every few years.

We may as well get that subforum going now because we have the first inside-source rumor to keep the fans riled up:

"It's an original story," a LucasFilm source tells me.
In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 12:26 AM   #104
scifib5st
Commander

You know... it's too bad that Paromount or CBS does not have a project , you know some type of "Space Opera", of sci fir franchance they have been backing an kept in the public eye that would increase in value over time, becom an investment and grow it over time to be bigger and a name brand?????? Oh wait, what's this, 1970 CHIPS???
or Star Trek..... maybe they have forgot about this!!!
scifib5st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 01:31 AM   #105
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Now if Disney also buys CBS and Paramount, we can finally have our Star Wars vs. Star Trek movie.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote