New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2012, 08:32 PM   #31
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: What did Lucas do?

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
What did he do?

He did what he wanted to do with something that belonged to him and made huge piles of money from a world of people anxious to pay to watch him do it.
But he didn't do it the way the fanboys wanted him to do it!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 08:39 PM   #32
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
And let's not forget the dialogue! A competent director would NEVER have let shit like this happen. Literally nothing about this scene works, except as unintentional comedy. (Or intentional, courtesy of rifftrax).
4 words

Sand. bloody. Frickin. SAND!
Old October 31 2012, 09:13 PM   #33
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

What did he do?

He did what he wanted to do with something that belonged to him and made huge piles of money from a world of people anxious to pay to watch him do it.
Ah. So, Modesto's answer to Ron Jeremy, then?
Old October 31 2012, 09:59 PM   #34
inflatabledalek
Captain

Amidst the other stuff mentioned, there's his constant tweaking with the original films. He seems to have a real problem with a decades old film looking like a decades old film and was desperate to try and keep them looking like they were made yesterday.

Which is a mugs game for two reasons. First, special effects will always date so if you want to keep up with making the films still look modern you have to spend the rest of your life updating them every few years.

Secondly, the updates were done with no sympathy for the original material. Star Wars on blu ray doesn't look like a 2012 film, it looks like a 1977 film with some CGI slapped on top of some scenes.

I've never understood why he bothers anyway, kids still like The Wizard of Oz without any snazzy updates don't they?
Old October 31 2012, 10:09 PM   #35
Anduril
Captain

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
What did he do?

But he didn't do it the way the fanboys wanted him to do it!
Fanboys are like an abused woman, they keep coming back for more!
Old October 31 2012, 10:12 PM   #36
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Rothschild wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the progression of Vader from a "whiny teen" to what we saw in the OT. Would it have been better to have Anakin just waiting to turn to Vader? Adds more depth to the character and the OT IMO.
It would have been vastly more interesting if Anakin was far more noble. Falling from a whiny teen who gleefully slaughters and entire group of people (including women and children) to a man who's rules the galaxy with evil isn't much of a fall.

Anakin should have been Jesus! He should have been every that purity, nobleness and the Light Side is. He should have taken the rape and death of his mother with a smile and tried to help the Sand People to make them better. His fall from that to Vader would have been vastly more interesting. Namely the endangerment of his wife and children (who should have been born but very young when Amidala died) being the thing that pushed him over the edge, willing to do ANYTHING to save her, seduced then by the Dark Side.

But, nope, he goes from a whiny bitch teenager who hates sand, to a whiny bitch teenager who slaughters innocents, to a whiny bitch young-adult who stomps and pouts when his superiors tell him no. Yeah, it's SOOOOOO surprising he fell to The Dark Side.
Old October 31 2012, 10:42 PM   #37
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Circus Peanut wrote:
Anakin should have been Jesus! He should have been every that purity, nobleness and the Light Side is. He should have taken the rape and death of his mother with a smile and tried to help the Sand People to make them better.
Sorry, but that conflicts with what Yoda said about him in TESB.

Silvercrest wrote:
The natural reaction is, "So what if he came back to the side of good? HE'S STILL A JERK!"
Yeah, who cares about the whole saving the galaxy thing?
Old October 31 2012, 11:01 PM   #38
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post

And that leads me to another problem - the clones! If the Jedi are supposed to be so good and holy, why are they breeding cannon fodder? They should have shut down the clone factory as soon as they discovered it, as an obvious crime against humanity and all the other species-anity.
I thought it was understood that Sidous as Palpatine ordered the creation of the clones through Dooku?The Jedi had nothing to do with it, they were fooled by Sidous like everybody else. How else were two Sith gonna wipe out six zillion Jedi, which was the whole point of the clones exsistence in the first place.

Not that I'm defending the prequels mind you, but this one story point always made sense to me.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:05 PM   #39
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Well, the idea is that the Jedi are "bad" for accepting the clone army.

However, just as we saw in TPM with slavery in Hutt space, the Jedi don't really have the authority to shut down Kamino, at least not by AOTC; that film tells us Kamino isn't in the Republic.
( Also, even if the Republic had rejected the army, the clones were trained for war and could still have ended up being used for their original purpose, but in some other conflict. )
Old October 31 2012, 11:07 PM   #40
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

They are also bad for supporting a corrupt republic in my book.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:11 PM   #41
Aragorn
Admiral

Rothschild wrote: View Post
From my understanding, Lucas felt constrained by the special effects technology of the day, so when he had a chance with modern tech, he went wild.
He said that about Red Tails too, yet an HBO movie from years earlier outshined Red Tails in every way.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:15 PM   #42
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I agree. For all his talk for doing artsy stuff did he ever supported up an coming talented directors with his wealth?

I only know about him supporting Kurosawa from whom he stole/inspired.

I really hoped Lucas would had given the franchise to Filoni.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:33 PM   #43
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Lucas made some OK movies with the PT.
It's the fanboys and their rage and OCD that have turned me off the Star Wars now. It no longer holds the excitement and thrill it once did.
Old October 31 2012, 11:38 PM   #44
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote:
The natural reaction is, "So what if he came back to the side of good? HE'S STILL A JERK!"
Yeah, who cares about the whole saving the galaxy thing?
The point is that he died in saving the galaxy, but few people would say, "Aw, what a shame, too bad he couldn't have lived" once they see what a jerk he was. There's nothing to mourn.

By contrast, Gollum died saving the world, but he had enough depth and characterization that people can still feel sorry for him... more or less...
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:38 PM   #45
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

What did he do?

If only we were all that lucky.