Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 31 2012, 08:08 PM   #16
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Re: Impact on Star Trek as Disney reboot Star Wars.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Likely to have a bigger impact on Trek on TV. CBS may wait for Disney to produce a series and its critcial/Neilsen reception before investing on weekly Trek again.
I really don't see Disney investing in anything (outside of movies) in a TV series outside of being animated. The movies are just to easy to make huge cash off of with minimal (relative) investment.

An animated series, like the current one, is as usual, a great merchandizing commercial. That said, I actually really like the current series.

Besides, Trek and the Wars are two completely different animals. Star Wars has a mythos that just seems to entice people. And the nostolgia that it envokes has been firmly entrenched into a new generation of fans without even remotely alienating the old generation. I think Disney will respect how powerful a money maker that will be. And releasing movies slowly will certainly entice.

Star Trek is so hit and miss. JJ put together a great story that everyone could appreciate regardless of being a Trek fan, so we were lucky in that regards. I unfortunely can not see any place for a series with Trek either. I just don't know what they can do, and I LOVE Star Trek...

As for the OP title--- It won't be a re-boot like Star Trek, that's for sure. The formula for Star Wars just works too well. It won't be a re-boot at all. It will be a continuing saga.

WOO HOO!!!!

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 10:04 PM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'd say the impact would go the other way, if at all. Disney has certainly noticed that Star Trek has been successfully resurrected as a movie franchise by recasting the main big name characters with young, pretty actors. Star Wars is more or less in the same boat, with a mismanaged movie franchise that needs some brand rebuilding. Same disease, so why not the same cure?

I would not at all be surprised to hear Disney is recasting Luke, Leia and Han to be about the same age as of ROTJ (25-35) and the sequel trilogy will deal with those characters after the death of the Empire. Even without Abrams' example, that's the most obvious route to making big mountains of money.

Most of the potential audience doesn't have emotional investment in the actors reprising the OT roles. There of course will be fans who react to recasting just as some fans reacted to anyone but Shatner playing Kirk, but as we've all seen, that had no impact on box office success and the movie turned out just fine creatively, too.

However, there is the potential for action-fantasy-movie overkill in all this. I'd say the lower-profile superheroes like Guardians of the Galaxy are in far more danger than any non-superhero based franchise.

Do you guys think a star wars reboot will be as good as star trek 2009?
Apples and oranges, but Star Wars has the edge in the movies because it was originally made for movies - visual, visceral, emotional. Star Trek was made for TV - emphasis on characters, themes and ideas - so it will always be a worse fit for movies.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Likely to have a bigger impact on Trek on TV. CBS may wait for Disney to produce a series and its critcial/Neilsen reception before investing on weekly Trek again.
Iger has alrady said he likes Star Wars for TV, and that DisneyXD is the place for it, which means more kid-focused animation a la The Clone Wars. Moonves doesn't need to wait, TCW has been getting strong ratings on the Cartoon Network, but animation aimed at kids is not an obvious fit for CBS, so I don't know what he could do with that info.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:28 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Iger has alrady said he likes Star Wars for TV, and that DisneyXD is the place for it, which means more kid-focused animation a la The Clone Wars. Moonves doesn't need to wait, TCW has been getting strong ratings on the Cartoon Network, but animation aimed at kids is not an obvious fit for CBS, so I don't know what he could do with that info.
Those ratings can't be that strong as it got new episodes shunted to Saturday mornings, losing its Friday night timeslot.
Old October 31 2012, 11:33 PM   #20
F. King Daniel
Admiral

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/10/...ranchise.shtml

Abrams was asked by Entertainment Weekly what his thoughts were about the new "Star Wars" films. He replied, "Part of me? Thrilled. Part of me? Terrified. Most of me? Thrillified."
Entertainment Weekly surmised that Abrams was "conflicted in his feelings about the news" of a revived "Star Wars" film series, fearing that, once again, "Star Wars" would overshadow "Star Trek".
Old November 1 2012, 12:07 AM   #21
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Or, with Trek and Wars both revitalised, modern audiences get to enjoy a variety of quality science fiction. Or am I not panicking enough here.
Old November 1 2012, 12:30 AM   #22
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
Or, with Trek and Wars both revitalised, modern audiences get to enjoy a variety of quality science fiction. Or am I not panicking enough here.
At first, I was tempted to think along these lines as well. While what you say may make sense from the viewpoint of a regular movie goer whose life does not revolve around the corporate machinations of the entertainment business and who leads a fairly balanced life, that's not what I'm about. I'm a fan. I care. The emotional investment I have makes my opinion matter. So, yes - it is time to panic. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't spin out wild speculation and allude to world ending scenarios over this news. As a fan of the Star Wars franchise, it's only natural I would condemn any news of future projects that will lead to additional Star Wars feature films.

Last edited by StarMan; November 1 2012 at 02:50 AM.
StarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 12:44 AM   #23
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Does anyone really believe it will be done by 2015? It might get pushed back and that might push ST:XIII forward.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 12:45 AM   #24
teacake
Fleet Admiral

StarMan wrote: View Post
As a fan of the Star Wars franchise, it's only natural I would condemn any news of future project that will lead to additional Star Wars feature films.
Say what?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 1 2012, 12:50 AM   #25
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

teacock wrote: View Post
As a fan of the Star Wars franchise, it's only natural I would condemn any news of future project that will lead to additional Star Wars feature films.
Say what?
Indeed, what?
Old November 1 2012, 01:59 AM   #26
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Does anyone really believe it will be done by 2015? It might get pushed back and that might push ST:XIII forward.
They've been considering it in their Schedule since June, and have a Script or Story outline from Lucas, so, they may have already sent it out for treatments. I would imagine Disney might want to Shoot for Christmas Season, unless they have another "more Disney" Big thing they don't want to interfere with, so, that's still 3 years away. Many movies are made well in a 3 year window, that aren't even this far along (Already have the Trilogy mapped out, just need to flesh out the script and realize the Vision visually). Some of this prep work for the Visuals may already be occuring in the effects house. Principal Shooting takes about 6-9 months for a single film, I believe, effects/editing, reshoots, can suck up a year (But effects can start before Principal shooting is done, I think). So, that still leaves a good 6 months for the script, even if they aim for Summer. Definitely, if they can't refine the script in time to make the 2015 deadline, push it back, don't shoot an unpolished script (And don't polish it so much you remove the life from it).

Say what?
Yea, I don't even think looking up each word of it in the dictionary for alternate meanings is going to help me understand that statement.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 02:29 AM   #27
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
Say what?
Indeed, what?
It's StarMan. I suspect he's not being entirely serious.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 02:41 AM   #28
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Oh. See, this is what happens when you don't post very often and expect everyone to be a mind reader.

I was being sarcastic. The tone of some comments I've come across would have you think it is tantamount to blasphemy to contemplate additions to the two trilogies and/or expand Star Wars beyond the hallowed SkyWalker arc.

As a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars, I think it's great we could have both franchises reignited in the mainstream together. For Star Wars in particular, what a fantastic opportunity for a new creative force to take over the reigns. Look forward to seeing how it pans out.

Too soon for a trailer?
Old November 1 2012, 02:45 AM   #29
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Too soon for a trailer?
Let the whining about the trailer release date begin!!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 1 2012, 03:07 AM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I see your point. I really wish star trek 13 will come out in 2015 however I know Paramount would be scared to do that now because the almighty Star Wars is coming back with a new film that same year.
The real reason you won't see Trek 13 in 2015 is because Paramount likely wants a new Trek movie to celebrate the 50th anniversary in 2016.