Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old October 18 2012, 08:53 PM   #31
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

The Actors are listed in there Facebook 'About' page. They need to add the words "Potential Cast" to that. Also CBS 'could potentially'. It is misleading to your average fan.
Old October 18 2012, 09:12 PM   #32
batboy853
Lieutenant

Tom wrote: View Post
The Actors are listed in there Facebook 'About' page. They need to add the words "Potential Cast" to that. Also CBS 'could potentially'. It is misleading to your average fan.
ok that field i did not notice, i apologize.

Last edited by batboy853; October 18 2012 at 09:26 PM.
batboy853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 09:17 PM   #33
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Really, this is all a moot point here. Why doesn't someone just take all these points collated in this thread and post them to the FB page in question? If they delete the comment or ignore it, you have your answer - its a fraud and a scam.
Old October 18 2012, 09:27 PM   #34
batboy853
Lieutenant

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Agreed!
if that's how you feel, in Potemkin Miscomunication at 4:45, the music clearly has the rifts from mission impossible, but no credit to the original composer of that theme, that's just as much plagiarism since the only composer listed is the fan films composer...
Old October 18 2012, 09:48 PM   #35
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I am aware of that, and have already planned to correct that in the upcoming re-release. The credits were completed a month before the music. We were unaware that the composer was going to sample a few seconds of Lalo Schifrin's music when the credits were created. Sampling is a legal gray area, but we have properly credited other riffs in previous episodes. You'll note that in "The Void" we properly credited all the music themes we used in that episode at 30:52. The same will be done with other sampled riffs.

But why bring this up three months after the after the fact?
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 10:11 PM   #36
batboy853
Lieutenant

because it is relevant to this discussion. why are we getting on this group's case when in fan production's we have the same thing occurring, and not getting on those production's cases.

now im not trying to piss anyone off, just like a good discussion and that this group is passing off a video and a image as their own, which they are not.

now i recognize that in a perfect world, that everyone would have every credit possible attacted to every post they have on facebook, but that is not a case, if i were to post on my wall a link to a youtube video(not claiming who created it or anything, just sharing the video), it shows the url, and the name of the video, does that mean that i need to ask the original authors permission? not according to facebook and youtube's terms of service, which is why they give you the option to make your video's private.

this group has screen grabs from nemesis, does this mean cbs should throw the book at them?

Sean, the designer of the titan, posted on the page a photoshopped image where he took a image from bsg's katee sackhoff and put it on an image of terry farrell.
On facebook an image of the latest queens of pop(gaga, beyonce, Brittney, Katty Perry, jay lo, pink, Rihanna, and Christina) that had them photoshopped as the avengers, exact match of one of the movie's posters.
should they have the book thrown at him?

just about every fan film has used a line or two from various star trek episodes, most frequently: where no man has gone before? should they be punished?

this ties into the debate of copyright, distribution rights, sampling, etc.
Old October 18 2012, 10:27 PM   #37
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I'm not getting on that group's case. I'd like to see a Titan fan film myself. I just like to see things properly credited, but as in our case, mistakes and oversights do happen. We opted not to rush to correct the credits for "Miscommunication" because it's such a small sample, and frankly, everyone knows where it was lifted from. We've planned on correcting it for the Season 1 DVD.

Back to that group, I'm not concerned about them anymore than I'm concerned about the fellow who took all the major fan films and put them all on his download site:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php?/...rek-fan-films/

http://www.gooplusplus.com/trekfan-film-collection.pdf

I exchanged a few emails with a few interested parties, and we came to the conclusion there's nothing we can do about it, nor probably should do about it. But this fellow is distributing our fan films without permission.
Old October 27 2012, 08:07 AM   #38
PattyW
Commander

Send a message via AIM to PattyW

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
Compare that to the Renegade project who list personnel, and have OF GODS AND MEN under their belt, whatevr you may think of it.
Yes, they claim to have OGAM under their belt...but they fail to mention that was produced in conjunction with Cawley Entertainment Company/Retro Film Studios, LLC There's a big "chunk" missing out of the team without CEC/RFS. (sets, costumes, crew, equipment, etc) So even that is a bit misleading, as is their wording: "a professionally produced television pilot to be presented for a possible online series."

It's a lot of double talk and misleading. Television pilot...for online series? Which is it? Presented to whom? Professionally produced? By what studio?

I am not bashing STR.... I am just pointing out that these are all fan films, and the "producing/PR" of any and all of them shouldn't take time or mental energy out of anyone's lives - unless they are collecting money, in which case it's only the CBS lawyers that should be giving pause to the details.

As for the specific issue of not crediting another artists work, which is intellectual theft (not plagurisim ) - bad form and illegal. Even if you can't make money off it, you still own it and have the right to sy where and how it gets used.
Old October 27 2012, 08:11 AM   #39
batboy853
Lieutenant

ok this thread just needs to die. no one is actually looking at the facebook group. if anyone has a problem they should bring it up to the group. nuff said.
Old October 27 2012, 11:16 AM   #40
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Somebody should tweet Frakes about this and ask him to look into it. Cause he's the best route to go to. CBS might not even know about this and might not get the report if someone told them.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 04:25 PM   #41
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

I have no problem with them even when they used my ship art without asking( I have since sent them emails saying it is okay to use my art and even liked the FBpage). It is after all a fan group wanting to see a series or film made.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 08:36 PM   #42
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

A very laudable attitude, Sean! Thanks!
Old October 31 2012, 07:58 PM   #43
Tom
Rear Admiral

andriech wrote: View Post
Danlav05 wrote: View Post
Compare that to the Renegade project who list personnel, and have OF GODS AND MEN under their belt, whatevr you may think of it.
Yes, they claim to have OGAM under their belt...but they fail to mention that was produced in conjunction with Cawley Entertainment Company/Retro Film Studios, LLC There's a big "chunk" missing out of the team without CEC/RFS. (sets, costumes, crew, equipment, etc) So even that is a bit misleading, as is their wording: "a professionally produced television pilot to be presented for a possible online series."

It's a lot of double talk and misleading. Television pilot...for online series? Which is it? Presented to whom? Professionally produced? By what studio?
Patty were do we 'fail' to mention Cawley Entertainment Company/Retro Film Studios ??? It's at the very beginning our film (STOGAM) and in the credits along with all the individuals from P2 that helped with the production. Part of the film was filmed in the LA area also. We also produced Inalienable, Roddenberry on Patrol and are assisting with another non-scifi film currently. What is misleading?? We plan to make STR as a film and also present it as pilot for a potential online series. Produced by Renegade Studios. Not all Star Trek related films need to be filmed on a TOS Enterprise set. Danlav05 is right we do have it under our belt, nothing misleading there.
Old November 1 2012, 12:40 AM   #44
Sumghai
Lieutenant

Thanks for the heads-up Sean.

Since then, the Titan fan group has started giving credit to the original artists of artwork they share, so it's all good.

However, I've stopped supporting them anyway.
Old November 1 2012, 01:26 AM   #45
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Like I said I have no problem with them personally. But I can see where people would get all worked up over it.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote