RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 438
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 30 2012, 10:16 PM   #166
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: 15 Reasons JJ "Ruined & Destroyed" Star Trek

Gov Karnstein wrote: View Post
Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
I personally find those who say "it made a lot of money, get over it" to be more annoying than someone who makes what I feel to be a thoughtful (albet emotional) dissertation of why a movie sucks.

If you want to defend a movie, please try to use some other criteria besides box office receipts. We all know plenty of good movies fail at the box office and plenty of bad movies make money. It's boring to use the "it made money" excuse.

I would argue that the demographic that liked JJ Trek is probably the least capable of defending the movie based on its intrinsic merits and most likely to reach for the "it made a lot of money" excuse.
Your argument would be in error, especially when people in this very thread have given their reasons as to why they like the movie, and many of those reasons are more than just "it made money".
Yeah. Star Trek was a great space opera piece of fun from beginning to end. It gave a starting story for Kirk and Spock that showed how these two so well complemented each other and did it in a non-stop roller coaster ride. No Star Trek movie has given that to the general audience, fun, that's what people pay ticket prices for.

JJ didn't worry about the 'Star Trek Vision Thing', good for him. The TV shows, and the movies labored under that and squelched out any kind of real joie de vivre for being meaningful and came up with stale boring stories. Star Trek under JJ worried about telling a fun story rather than worry about The Vision Thing, and I hope he does so with the next film, too. I am tickled pink to have Kirk and the gang back on screen in fine, fun, larger than life stories.
Exactly. It was fun. It was contemporary while being nostalgic, fast paced while still developing the character traits we all recognize, and it was just a great story.

Now, for this next movie, my expectations are very high, because I've seen the quality that can be produced from J.J., but even if he doesn't meet all of those expectations (very few could), as long as the movie is fun, I will enjoy it.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 12:40 AM   #167
serenitytrek1
Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
ichab wrote: View Post
The majority liked it. There's nothing wrong with being the minority opinion.
Exactly. But the "it made lots of money" factoid is simply a tangible piece of evidence that something about this movie excited general audiences and had them telling their friends, and coming back for more viewings themselves.

I can't stand Avatar yet millions of people loved it. But I would never presume to think that those who like Avatar don't have solid reasons.
I certainly enjoyed my time in the cinema with it, and I really don't begrudge people loving it. It did surprise me that the story was essentially a live-action/CGI remake of the animated "FernGully: The Last Rainforest".

I still fail to see how the movie ruined the Star Trek franchise.
It didn't!

Good point. I have always preferred critical acclaimed films over commercially accliamed films. I mean just look at the horror of the Twilight films?

Sure Trek 2009 made money for a Trek film (386,000,000 dollars to be exact) but it still pales in comparison to box office earnings of harry potter or star wars.

I enjoy discussing the films ratings on metacritic and rottentomatoes rather than what box office mojo says about its ticket sales.

Its all about quality not quantitiy.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; October 31 2012 at 01:57 AM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 12:59 AM   #168
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Conveniently, Trek '09 also received critical acclaim.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 02:03 AM   #169
serenitytrek1
Commander

DonIago wrote: View Post

yeap...

95% fresh on RT

83/100 on Metacritic

4 oscar nominations including 1 win

Please just how did JJ destroy trek? he even tried to save many core trek TOS fans feelings when he kept on saying his film is set in an alternate reality and doesn’t change anything from the TOS universe and yet people like trekfreek wants the man to be exiled from the trek universe.

Not fair at all
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 02:13 AM   #170
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
Now, for this next movie, my expectations are very high, because I've seen the quality that can be produced from J.J., but even if he doesn't meet all of those expectations (very few could), as long as the movie is fun, I will enjoy it.
As long as I am looking at Quinto as NuSpock I will also enjoy it

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 02:13 AM   #171
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Please just how did JJ destroy trek? he even tried to save many core trek TOS fans feelings when he kept on saying his film is set in an alternate reality and doesn’t change anything from the TOS universe and yet people like trekfreek wants the man to be exiled from the trek universe.
Well, technically it does change the Prime universe to some extent.

The post-Nemesis Prime universe is now missing a Spock, a Nero, and a Romulus.
Old October 31 2012, 04:26 PM   #172
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

yeap...

95% fresh on RT

83/100 on Metacritic

4 oscar nominations including 1 win

Not fair at all
And that's one of the nicer suggestions of what should be done to him

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 06:23 PM   #173
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Exactly. But even if it hadn't, so what? If I like a film, I don't give a damn whether it got critical acclaim or not. That should not be amongst the criteria for anyone's enjoying a film, book, music, whatever.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 06:38 PM   #174
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Some things never changed. Star Trek fans (some of them, anyway) are a rare breed - just about the only people who go out of their way to not enjoy something.
Old October 31 2012, 07:24 PM   #175
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!! wrote: View Post
Some things never changed. Star Trek fans (some of them, anyway) are a rare breed - just about the only people who go out of their way to not enjoy something.
Eh, that sort of thing is hardly unique to Trek fans, otherwise we wouldn't already have had terms such as "wet blanket" (1655), "killjoy" (1770) or "party pooper" (1940) in the English vocabulary.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 07:26 PM   #176
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Eh, that sort of thing is hardly unique to Trek fans, otherwise we wouldn't already have had terms such as "wet blanket" (1655), "killjoy" (1770) or "party pooper" (1940) in the English vocabulary.
True. Though it sure seems like a hell of a lot of wet blankets seem to post here.
Old October 31 2012, 08:36 PM   #177
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

True. Though it sure seems like a hell of a lot of wet blankets seem to post here.
About what one would expect, though, no? A very small, very vocal minority would be drawn to Trek-oriented soapboxes such as this one, TrekWeb, TrekMovie.com, etc. as a place to vent and ventilate.

Sure, they could start their own little angry blogs, but how many will read those? TrekBBS is a ready-made audience, who may listen, and may choose to respond:

Or one can just as easily choose to disregard the whole thing and simply go on one's merry way to the next thread. Either works.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 08:37 PM   #178
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Once again I find you are much wiser than me, my friend.
Old November 1 2012, 04:24 PM   #179
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Sure, they could start their own little angry blogs, but how many will read those?
Apparently the original poster?

I don't know what one should expect if they drudge this stuff up and post a thread about it.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 06:58 PM   #180
laika
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sindatur wrote: View Post

IMHO, the biggest problem with the 2009 Film was that there was so much Introduction that needed to be done, there wasn't a whole lot of time for all this deep Characterization. I believe, though it will still almost certainly be an intense action flick, we'll get much more indepth character stuff with Star Trek Into Darkness.
well said. agreed.