Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: The Choices (Select up to 4 only)
J.J. Abrams 25 26.60%
Jon Favreau 16 17.02%
Duncan Jones 21 22.34%
Rian Johnson 3 3.19%
Sam Mendes 6 6.38%
Edgar Wright 5 5.32%
Neill Blomkamp 13 13.83%
Matt Reeves 2 2.13%
Brad Bird 30 31.91%
Frank Darabont 7 7.45%
David Yates 5 5.32%
Matthew Vaughn 10 10.64%
Alfonso Cuarón Orozco 7 7.45%
Guillermo Del Toro 18 19.15%
Ridley Scott 13 13.83%
Other (say whom) 31 32.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 31 2012, 03:14 AM   #16
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

JD wrote: View Post
I went with Brad Bird, John Carter was very Star Warsy
That's Andrew Stanton.

Who I can't imagine is the guy Disney is offering any plum assignments to right now.

Brad Bird would be good though... I guess I just have reservations about crossing over from animation. Bird has done some amazing movies, but his really good ones were animated - Ghost Protocol was quite good but not exactly The Incredibles. But then maybe with Star Wars and without Cruise he'd have more creative control and take stuff in a more interesting direction so who knows.
Old October 31 2012, 03:16 AM   #17
T'Baio
Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
The Stephen King adaption guy? He done anything that'd really fit the Star Wars sci-fi action mould at all, that also was good?
I gave several reasons above on why I think he'd be a perfect fit. Someone doesn't have to have had experience making a similar movie to possibly be good at it.

But on that note, I also realized one possibility that I'm surprised isn't one fandom is jumping on, as I would expect it to, but who I think are actually really well suited to it...

...are The Wachowski's.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 04:02 AM   #18
theenglish
Rear Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
First of all, I feel really bad for Lucas...everyone clamouring for who the next director will be and often backhanding Lucas in the process. For all the love and interest the saga is getting right now, people sure are shitting on the guy who created it.

Secondly, sometimes I wonder how people pick dream directors. That second link in the OP suggests Ridley Scott because he "understands how vast and terrifying space actually is." Does that sound like a Star Wars movie to anyone? Because it sure doesn't sound like one to me. I mean, David Fincher is my favourite director, but what has he done that would suggest he's a good fit for a Star Wars movie? Other than actually working on Jedi, that is.

Of all the directors, I'd say Frank Darabont is the perfect fit. He's worked in the Lucasfilm world. He's a fan of period cinema and is great at mimicking certain styles in a fresh and personal way. He writes and handles great characters deftly and with a sense of humour. He's not afraid to back away from "cool," and uses it when it's necessary and boldly. Finally, he has a sense of adventure and loves to explore classic genre tropes.

I agree, with a caveat. Lucas has earned a lot of wrath from Star Wars fans over the last decade. He was too much in control of the franchise considering the fact that he forgot what it was about the original trilogy that made it special.

I actually think that selling the franchise is the right way to go, and maybe the next director will actually make a film that respects the series more than the previous prequels ever did.

Sidebar: Mark Hamill is the same age now as Alec Guinness was when Ep. IV was filmed.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 04:05 AM   #19
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

My votes went to Duncan Jones, Guillermo Del Toro and Alfonso Cuaron. Duncan Jones seems has a real knack for highlighting the humanity of his characters, Guillermo Del Toro's imagination makes my head spin and Alfonso Cuaron knows how to direct some truly gripping action scenes.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 04:17 AM   #20
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

My top 5 choices:
1. Lawrence Kasden & Steven Spielberg (TIE)
2. Joss Whedon
3. Peter Jackson
4. James Cameron
5. Roland Emmerich

Honorable mentions:
Ridley Scott
Alfonso Cuaron
David Yates
J.J. Abrams
Old October 31 2012, 06:05 AM   #21
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Brad Bird. With The Iron Giant, he showed that he understands the 50's scifi and serials that inspired Star Wars in the first place. With The Incredibles and Ratatouille he showed that he can work effectively with the CGI characters and other elements that are so common in Star Wars films, and can make a great family-friendly yet exciting action film with the former. With Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, he showed that he can competently make a compelling and exciting live-action film with some great high tension drama and action sequences. He's also an excellent screenwriter, so he can oversee the final script and make sure everything works well. He hasn't done a lot of films, but what he has done have been very good.
Old October 31 2012, 06:13 AM   #22
JD
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I went with Brad Bird, John Carter was very Star Warsy
That's Andrew Stanton.

Who I can't imagine is the guy Disney is offering any plum assignments to right now.

Brad Bird would be good though... I guess I just have reservations about crossing over from animation. Bird has done some amazing movies, but his really good ones were animated - Ghost Protocol was quite good but not exactly The Incredibles. But then maybe with Star Wars and without Cruise he'd have more creative control and take stuff in a more interesting direction so who knows.
Oops my bad, I always get them confused. But he's still done some good stuff, so I wouldn't be totally against it.
As for Stanton, I stand by that vote, even though I got the names confused. I don't care how badly John Carter did at the box office, I still really enjoyed it. I remember several people calling it a better Star Wars movie than the prequels after it came out.
Old October 31 2012, 08:58 AM   #23
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Matthew Vaughan is a good choice, I think. He can do style but also adhere to a tone. I look at the difference between X-Men First Class and Kick-Ass as good evidence of genre versatility. In fact I love the serious tone of FC.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 11:29 AM   #24
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Duncan Jones is my top pick followed by Neil Blomkamp. Young, hungry directors who have both proven they can bring the goods to a sci-fi action movie. Also the model work in Moon I mean come on lost art that movie was gorgoeus
Jones then to tame the CGI excesses of the prequel trilogy?
Old October 31 2012, 11:37 AM   #25
The Haunting
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I would also be interested in Euros Lyn.
Nice

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 12:04 PM   #26
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

Other: Joe Kosinski.

Out of the list though I'd go with Matthew Vaughn.
Old October 31 2012, 12:28 PM   #27
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Secondly, sometimes I wonder how people pick dream directors. That second link in the OP suggests Ridley Scott because he "understands how vast and terrifying space actually is." Does that sound like a Star Wars movie to anyone? Because it sure doesn't sound like one to me. I mean, David Fincher is my favourite director, but what has he done that would suggest he's a good fit for a Star Wars movie? Other than actually working on Jedi, that is.

I went with what had been suggested on those sites I mentioned. I thought about Joss Whedon and Christopher Nolan afterwards, even if was unlikely due to Avengers 2 and something I saw about Christopher Nolan in the first article.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:00 PM   #28
Mach5
Rear Admiral

BoxWhatBox wrote: View Post
No one does an epic better then Peter Jackson.
Except perhaps Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg or Jim Cameron. Or Zack Snyder. Or Zhang Yimou.

On topic, I say give one of these movies to Frank Marshall. The other two should go to JJ and Joss.
Old October 31 2012, 01:50 PM   #29
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Anyone but Joss Whedon.

Star Wars can be witty and funny, but only within the parameters of its own universe and only as much as the characters allow.

Whedon would make every character so damn witty. Not to mention a list of other problems with his style that conflict with Star Wars.
Old October 31 2012, 04:53 PM   #30
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Anyone but Joss Whedon.

Star Wars can be witty and funny, but only within the parameters of its own universe and only as much as the characters allow.

Whedon would make every character so damn witty. Not to mention a list of other problems with his style that conflict with Star Wars.
Yes, it would be horribly conflicting if Star Wars was stuck with a director of a critically acclaimed $1.5 billion dollar grossing ensemble scifi adventure film who is a lifelong fan of the franchise and has previous experience making a show that was basically Tales of the Millennium Falcon.

The characters in Star Wars were cracking wise to each other all the time. There's nothing conflicting in tone between Whedon's dialogue and the OT, and he's perfectly capable of writing serious dialogue when it's called for.