Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 30 2012, 05:42 PM   #451
Jaro Stun
Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Did you guys actually check out the new screencap from S2 on TrekCore?
Sorry to say, but it looks like CRAP:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/29102012s2stills.html

Actually I do not understand what went wrong, the screencap for S2 trailer does look excellent.
Look at the starfield...! The new screencap looks like background is just upscaled.

S2 Trailer screencap (looks good):

New S2 screencap (looks like crap):

Last edited by Jaro Stun; October 30 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 06:35 PM   #452
MickJo1701
Commander

The new shot looks low rez. Even in the first shot they've messed up the colours on the warp engines and deflector and the planet is blurry, featureless mess, they may as well have uprezzed the original shot.

Neither compare to these from S1:

MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 06:43 PM   #453
Jefferies
Captain

On trekcore it is stated that this is the final version from the finished product. So if that is true and they are releasing this image to show off their work then season 2 might be in serious trouble. At any rate we might need to brace ourselves that season 2 will fail to live up to the high standards CBS digital achieved for season 1.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 06:59 PM   #454
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Jefferies wrote: View Post
On trekcore it is stated that this is the final version from the finished product. So if that is true and they are releasing this image to show off their work then season 2 might be in serious trouble. At any rate we might need to brace ourselves that season 2 will fail to live up to the high standards CBS digital achieved for season 1.
Yes, the images were sent out to Amazon Germany as final promotional shots. I was certainly surprised when I saw it, it almost seems as though the planet was rendered at sub-HD resolution. Still, it's unfair to judge until we see the final version in motion!
Old October 30 2012, 08:45 PM   #455
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Let's not overreact. This is just one frame from one episode and the image isn't in full HD. Yes, the planet looks more soft and less detailed than what we've come to expect. But this could be an intentional artistic choice that might look far better in motion.
Old October 30 2012, 11:13 PM   #456
M
Vice Admiral

Scotty wrote: View Post
Let's not overreact. This is just one frame from one episode and the image isn't in full HD. Yes, the planet looks more soft and less detailed than what we've come to expect. But this could be an intentional artistic choice that might look far better in motion.
Agreed. This looks nowhere near as bad as some here and on the TrekCore discussion page make it sound like. Still this image looks really good and far superior to everything we got before, quality-wise.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 12:16 AM   #457
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Hmm. That Pen Pals shot is not FullHD resolution though. Yes, it looks bad here but I'd rather wait and see what it really looks like at full res.

It does make me slightly worried however.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 12:49 AM   #458
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I'm not going to unleash the hate on the season 2 blu-ray until more images are released. The S2 trailer looked pretty decent so I can't imagine the final product looking any worse than what we saw there.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 02:44 AM   #459
mswood
Rear Admiral

I blame Dan Curry!

I kind of kid. During the initial run of TNG, teh two effects producers Curry and LEgato (until Legato left to do DS9, you could always see a distinct difference between the two with Legato's work sharper, and Curry's a lighter softer and more lite.

I know Dan is working as an adviser to the group who is doing season two and I honestly was wondering if his perspective would be for a softer looking presentation.

I hope I am wrong. Though as stated it is still far superior to what we have for season two.
Old October 31 2012, 09:50 AM   #460
M
Vice Admiral

To be honest, I find it ridiculous how many people (not necessarily here) cry foul over one fucking screencap! I mean, come on, this is just one still image of several hours of material. And I bet even that one looks just fine in motion. I cannot grasp how anyone would cancel his order over this. Star Trek fans are a funny bunch sometimes.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 12:22 PM   #461
NewHorizon
Captain

M wrote: View Post
To be honest, I find it ridiculous how many people (not necessarily here) cry foul over one fucking screencap! I mean, come on, this is just one still image of several hours of material. And I bet even that one looks just fine in motion. I cannot grasp how anyone would cancel his order over this. Star Trek fans are a funny bunch sometimes.
If it turns out that S2 doesn't hold up to the quality of S1, then why should somebody pay for something they're not happy with? Depending on the final price, the set will cost 6 to 8 hours at work. So pretty much a day for a bluray set. I'm not rich.

I've noticed the difference between the footage we've seen so far for S2, specifically the colours looking different (I much preferred the colours on the ship for S1). If it turns out that it looks fine, that's great, but I don't think anyone is obligated to pay for something they're not satisfied with just because you can't grasp it.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:57 PM   #462
MickJo1701
Commander

M wrote: View Post
I agree that a single screenshot and a trailer (hopefully) with temp effects isn't enough to justify cancelling a pre-order, that's absolutely ridiculous.

But there's no smoke without fire, the effects should at the very least measure up to what we've seen with season one, and from the little evidence we have been presented with so far, the conclusion people are drawing is that it doesn't.
Old October 31 2012, 02:49 PM   #463
NewHorizon
Captain

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
I agree that a single screenshot and a trailer (hopefully) with temp effects isn't enough to justify cancelling a pre-order, that's absolutely ridiculous.
That's not the issue.

The screenshot from the trailer with temp effects looked fine, it's the screenshot from the 'finished' product posted on Trekcore that people are concerned about.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:00 PM   #464
MickJo1701
Commander

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
That's not the issue.

The screenshot from the trailer with temp effects looked fine, it's the screenshot from the 'finished' product posted on Trekcore that people are concerned about.
I think neither of them measure up to any of the orbit shots from season one, the comment at the top of the discussion on TrekCore is mine .
Old October 31 2012, 05:46 PM   #465
Mott the barber
Commodore

I need more of a sample size before I freak out and, even then, I'm not gonna freak out.

I'm sure it'll be fine guys.