TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2012, 06:00 AM   #331
JD
Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

I would love to see the original cast members in supporting roles. But, IMO the main character really needs to be a member of the next generation of the Skywalker family, whether it's one of the members of the Solo/Skywalker clan from the EU or a new character. I think it would be cool if each new trilogy focused on the child/children of the previous trilogy's main character(s).
Old October 31 2012, 06:01 AM   #332
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
I genuinely don't care what happens before "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
Seconded...
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 06:02 AM   #333
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post

It's also worth noting that despite Disney buying Marvel, The Avengers opened with the Paramount mountain and the trailer for Iron Man 3 shows the same.
That's because of the deal between Paramount and Disney about Disney taking over the distribution rights for the Avengers and Iron Man 3. Alongside with paying them the 8% they would have gotten for distributing the films, Paramount was to be given credit over Disney. All Marvel Studios films from Thor: The Dark World on will have the Disney logo over them.

With Star Wars however, there was no distribution deal already in place for Episode VII like there was for Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Avengers, and Iron Man 3. It's a straight up Disney production, so it's very unlikely that the Disney will not show up.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 06:05 AM   #334
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

JD: What existing information we have on the ST indicates that the droids will likely be the only characters to appear in all 9 films, although I sincerely doubt that they will be the only familiar characters connected to/with the ST; I think it is very likely that we will see at least one of the 'big 3' appear in at least one of the films, even if that character doesn't make it to the end of the trilogy, and, again based on what existing info we have, I would suspect that Luke is the most likely of the 'big 3' to be utilized.
Old October 31 2012, 06:25 AM   #335
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

A fellow SW nut reminded me recently that JEDI's opening crawl has only three ellipsis at the very end of the text while the five other films in the Saga each have four. I wonder why George never corrected that so his crawls would be uniform across all six movies, but perhaps that was something so small that he either didn't notice or didn't care.

He'll insert a completely unnecessary CGI Dug into Jabba's Palace that lasts all of one or two seconds but I guess even this is too small and nitpicky for the guy.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 06:25 AM   #336
Slurms MacKenzi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The best news really is that McCallum has left Lucasfilm with Kennedy filling his role as executive producer. The guy always seemed a little bit too "L.A." (if you know what I mean).
Slurms MacKenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 06:32 AM   #337
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

The Hollywood Reporter just posted an article stating that, although Disney now owns Lucasfilm, they do not currently get the distribution rights to the Prequel Trilogy or Episodes V and VI; they won't acquire the distribution rights to those films until 2020, and won't ever acquire the distribution rights to Episode IV, which will remain with 20th Century FOX "in perpetuity".

This does seem to muddy the waters a bit regarding speculation that the Disney logo will appear at the start of future SW films, but I'd expect that somebody will 'give' and we'll see a resolution to this rather prickly situation at some point.
Old October 31 2012, 06:36 AM   #338
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
and won't ever acquire the distribution rights to Episode IV, which will remain with 20th Century FOX "in perpetuity".
IIRC, this was the condition on which FOX gave the merchandising rights to Lucas back in the day.
Old October 31 2012, 06:37 AM   #339
KalEl
Lieutenant Commander

I would love to see Luke in the mentor role, but more as Yoda was. I don't care to see Lea and honestly, unless they do the character right, I don't care to see Han. I love Harrison Ford, but I just can't envision an old Han Solo and Carrie Fisher, ugh. I do think that there should be more than just the Jedi as the good guys. The one thing that concerns me is how many times can the galaxy be in peril or the force out of balance? I think a struggle to hold the alliance together or a Jedi civil war could work as the sequel saga. The think that really needs to happen is a completion of the Skywalker legacy and a passing of the torch. Luke should definitely play the mentor to the person he thinks should be his successor and there should be some kind of internal struggle. Perhaps even Luke has a conflict because he's old and the Dark side is harder to resist. There's so many directions you could take it. You could have an entire group of people who hate the New Republic or even the Jedi and blame them for the Empire. There's a gold mine to be tapped and I'm really feeling hopeful that they will not focus on CGI and Gungans, but story. I even wouldn't mind seeing Force Ghost Ewan Mcgregor, but I'd rather Luke say something like eventually the ghosts fade away, just so we don't have a bunch of Force Ghosts giving Luke advice and still trying to run the show. They could also ignore the medichlorians by making it where some people are just chosen by the force or just continue to say, " the force is strong with this one." No need to even mention medichlorians. Anyway, we got a couple of years to discuss all of that. This is huge news.
KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 06:46 AM   #340
Albertese
Commodore

As a brief aside, is it wrong that my brain flips OT when I see it in different contexts. For Star Wars I think "Old Testament" and for the Bible I think "Original Trilogy." After all, the ancient rabbinical scholars broke it into the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings...

--Alex
Old October 31 2012, 06:55 AM   #341
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

KalEl wrote: View Post
This is huge news.
And that was a huge paragraph.
Old October 31 2012, 07:08 AM   #342
Adm. Bonz
Rear Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
This news has made my day! My daughter will be 9 years old in 2015! That's perfect!
Like!
Adm. Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 07:11 AM   #343
Dream
Admiral

Time for Star Wars: The Next Generation.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 07:27 AM   #344
sojourner
Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
The Hollywood Reporter just posted an article stating that, although Disney now owns Lucasfilm, they do not currently get the distribution rights to the Prequel Trilogy or Episodes V and VI; they won't acquire the distribution rights to those films until 2020, and won't ever acquire the distribution rights to Episode IV, which will remain with 20th Century FOX "in perpetuity".

This does seem to muddy the waters a bit regarding speculation that the Disney logo will appear at the start of future SW films, but I'd expect that somebody will 'give' and we'll see a resolution to this rather prickly situation at some point.
How does that muddy the waters? On the contrary, it sounds pretty cut and dried to me.
Old October 31 2012, 07:52 AM   #345
Kegg
Rear Admiral

KalEl wrote: View Post
I would love to see Luke in the mentor role, but more as Yoda was.
Famously Lucas told Mark Hamill back in the 1980s that he'd be playing a mentor role in a sequel trilogy that'd begin filming in 2011.

Now Lucas is writing the treatment for these movies, soooo...