Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2012, 06:09 AM   #451
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

They pretty much jumped the shark after they
Old October 31 2012, 06:18 AM   #452
JD
Admiral

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
They pretty much jumped the shark after they
Old November 13 2012, 08:29 PM   #453
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Its been over a week between watching, but I got a bit burned out so I took a break. I do still plan to continue watching Farscape.

Eat Me (Farscape) - This episode was ok. It had Chiana's only good moment so far, seeing her slap Jool several times. It was great, since Jool might just beat out Chiana as thbe most annoying character ever, if she stays on for awhile. If Chiana had ended up being eaten by the crazy cannibals, this would have been the best episode ever This was a pretty creepy episode, and it got really frightening when they cloned Jar Jar That said, the episode ended badly. There are now two Chrichtons. Has the series jumped the shark? Probably, although I'll reserve judgement for a little while. This seems like the stupidest idea since Chiana was introduced, but maybe it will go somewhere. It does make me ask questions. Do both John's have a fake Scorpius in their head? If only one did, then you could find out which is the original (if mind Scorpius is even around, he didn't appear this episode). I'd say that I hope the clone goes away quickly, but its Farscape. If its stupid or nonsensical (like Chiana, mind Scorpius, etc), its probably going to stay around forever. Still, I'd say I'm still enjoying the series.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 08:40 PM   #454
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I'm pretty sure there is no original and there is no clone. They are 100% the same as a starting point. They are both "The" original

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 09:42 PM   #455
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

How would that be possible? There was one John, now there are two. Since there weren't two before, when the guy used his machine, one of them was created. Even if they are completely identical, one wasn't around before the weapon/machine was used on John, so one would have to be the new John, not the original. It doesn't really matter if they ever call one the original, its just a weird idea which is probably going to be a big thing for awhile.
Old November 13 2012, 09:44 PM   #456
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Both of them were around before the machine was used. They simply used to be the same person, now they aren't. There is no difference in their pasts, no difference in their memories, no difference in their personalities. The only differences between them are their experiences from here on out.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 09:58 PM   #457
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
How would that be possible? There was one John, now there are two. Since there weren't two before, when the guy used his machine, one of them was created. Even if they are completely identical, one wasn't around before the weapon/machine was used on John, so one would have to be the new John, not the original. It doesn't really matter if they ever call one the original, its just a weird idea which is probably going to be a big thing for awhile.
Don't think of it as copied, think of it as split, except unlike the ST:TOS transporter accident (One dark side, one light side), nothing was lost in either Crichton

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 10:00 PM   #458
Skywalker
Admiral

I've always figured that neither Crichton is the original Crichton, and that the Crichton we had been watching up to that point ceased to exist when he was split into two completely identical but otherwise separate Crichtons. Kind of a depressing thought, but I think it makes more sense than any other explanation.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 11:11 PM   #459
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I don't think it's any harder to wrap your head around than the notion of parallel realities. Consider:

1) We routinely accept alternate versions of characters can exist in other realities.
2) The notion that making one decision or another can at any time create a parallel reality is not new.

So splitting one person into two, with neither having the better claim on "realness", is pretty standard stuff. The only real difference here is that the two versions can interact routinely.
Old November 14 2012, 12:32 AM   #460
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Think about cellular mitosis, the single cell splits into two identical daughter cells, neither of which is a "copy of the original".

Both new cells are the original cell, there's just two of them now.

It's the same thing that happened to John there.
Old December 11 2012, 07:49 PM   #461
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Sorry to bump this, but I just want to say that I'm putting Farscape on hold. I might get back to it eventually, but the dip in quality after Season 1 (when it comes to the main story, even if some later episodes were better than the S1 episodes) has just been too much. The cloning Chricton thing just destroyed my interest. I don't regret buying Season 1, since the main cast (before Jar jar) is good and i like their stories, but it may be awhile before I get back to it. On the other hand, B5 season 2 is pretty cheap on Amazon, so I may get that around Christmas time and then start watching it.
Old December 11 2012, 07:52 PM   #462
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Pretty typical that you would stop just as the series is reaching its strongest stretch.
Old December 11 2012, 08:14 PM   #463
JD
Admiral

^Agreed. I thought that was the point where the started really started getting good. I the whole thing with cloning Chrichton and then splitting up the crew as a pretty ballsy move that actually worked out really well.
Old December 11 2012, 08:22 PM   #464
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

For what it's worth, the two Crichtons was a bold move that pays off wonderfully down the road.
Old December 11 2012, 09:35 PM   #465
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I'm not saying I won't get back to it, but I haven't watched any of it since the last one I posted about, and I'm really not missing it, so it will probably be awhile before I decide to continue.