Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2012, 01:15 AM   #226
billcosby
Commodore

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
According to the interview I read above, Kennedy is in control of the creative aspects and wants to preserve the integrity of the characters
So... does that mean Han is back to shooting first?
I keed. Hopefully the Palpatine clone storyline [from dark Empire] is ditched. I wasn't a big fan of that idea, although I haven't read it yet (halfway through the Zhan trilogy now).
New characters... well rounded, flushed out characters. That'll help.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The Ep 7 writers must be in a bit of a pickle. Canon to the right of them, canon to the left of them...
And rabid fans! Mara Jade will more or less have to be addressed, right? Or not? Shit, I don't even know.
Well, not knowing is also pretty exciting.

Logic would have the film set 20-30 years after ROTJ for balance... so Luke, Liea, Han, Chewie and Lando should still be alive, but there is no reason to think they would have to be involved in the story. If they set the new trilogy even later than that, more room to move around the established EU to date. It might be fun to skip two generations and leave the "wiping out the remnants of the empire" nugget. I have always loved the idea of a New Jedi Order, though I haven't gotten that far in the EU either.

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
The EU considers Jaina and Jacen Solo canon, but that all depends on if you the fan consider the EU canon.
Makes sense... EU canon. I assume Mara Jade falls into the same category?

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:18 AM   #227
Nightowl1701
Commander

My guess is, Episode VII will pick up more-or-less where the novels are now: A sixty-something Luke Skywalker, training his college-aged son Ben. The Jedi Order has been reborn, but is having a rocky relationship with the Galactic Alliance (the Republic/Empire's replacement). Han's semi-retired and may be dead by the time VII starts (covered in a set-up novel) - if Leia appears at all, it'll be a brief role as a Jedi Council member. Lando's off on the far side of the galaxy raising his family. Chewie's long gone.

In other words, right now we're where Lucas wanted things to be by the time of this new trilogy. Luke, Threepio and Artoo are the only characters left over from the previous films, and only the two droids will make it through all nine films.

The only bit of Expanded Universe I could see getting blown up would be the "Legacy" comic book series, set almost a century after this point. I'd consider that an acceptable tradeoff, especially if the story is what I suspect it is.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:22 AM   #228
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I would actually not be surprised if Lucas tries to do complete CGI versions of Luke, Han, Leia, etc., and gets the original actors doing the voices again.
Why go to all the trouble of creating CGI characters just to have them look like younger versions of the originals, when careful and intelligent re-casting could handle the issue quite well? If Spock can be successfully recast, any character can.

Don't underestimate the ability of new actors to take an iconic role and make it their own, while being respectful of the original performances. JJ Abrams just did that not to long ago with a gaggle of iconic characters. Is Disney inherently less creatively capable than Paramount?

Jennifer Lawrence = Leia. Probably get an unknown for Luke (Chris Pine was more or less unknown when he got the role of Kirk). Dunno who for Han, I'd give Michael Rosenbaum a shot at it.

And sure, let's bring in Mara Jade. The actress doesn't need to be a natural redhead of course, so the possibilities are wide open.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:23 AM   #229
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

I just realized something. Star Wars has a vibrant fanfilm subculture, and Disney is notorious for C&Ding the crap out of anyone who makes "unauthorized" use of it's properties (like forcing a pre-school to paint over a mural featuring Disney characters).

So what happens to the fanfilms? Could well be the end of that type of fandom.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:24 AM   #230
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

One thing about Star Wars is that they've been pretty lenient with fan films, fan edits, parodies and more. I fear Disney may mean the end of Robot Chicken and Family Guy specials, Adywan special editions and so on.

EDIT: I guess I'm not the only one thinking this...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:25 AM   #231
billcosby
Commodore

^^ It's incredible the fanfilms have survived this far. The clampdown on IP gets more and more severe every year.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:26 AM   #232
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

CandyCornCosby wrote: View Post
The EU considers Jaina and Jacen Solo canon, but that all depends on if you the fan consider the EU canon.
Makes sense... EU canon. I assume Mara Jade falls into the same category?
She tends to be more accepted and embraced by traditional fans than the Solo kids/New Jedi Order/Yuuzhan Vong stuff, but yeah I'd say she's EU canon more than anything. Lucas and his people have long considered her canon but with the new Trilogy that could change.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:27 AM   #233
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

EU will go out the window in order to make what the want.

Disney owns the rights, not anyone on this forum.
Old October 31 2012, 01:29 AM   #234
Tulin
Vice Admiral

DING DONG THE EUs DEAD!

WHICH EU?

THE SHIT EU!

DING DONG THE SHIT EU IS DEAD!!!!!

*Doing happy dance of joy!!!!*
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:29 AM   #235
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I'm fine with that. Too much of the EU has been junk aside from a handful of video games and novels, and don't get me started on that hideous Cade Skywalker crap set more than a century after the Original Trilogy...those are some of the worst SW stories ever conceived.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:33 AM   #236
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Lucasfilm is going to continue to exist as a separate, autonomous company and be operated as such; it will simply now fall under the larger umbrella of the Disney Corporation the same way that Marvel, Pixar, and ABC do, so I wouldn't expect that any of the company's current policies concerning the relationship between the films, the Clone Wars cartoon(s), and the EU to change.

There's a video interview on StarWars.Com concerning today's developments that is very illuminating in terms of what the future holds for both the SW franchise and Lucasfilm as an entity and I would suggest that everyone who has a chance should go to the site and watch it.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:35 AM   #237
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I really liked the EU up until NJO.

NJO was just OK and I haven't liked anything since.
Old October 31 2012, 01:36 AM   #238
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

and don't get me started on that hideous Cade Skywalker crap set more than a century after the Original Trilogy...those are some of the worst SW stories ever conceived.
I thought that Legacy was the best Star Wars story since TESB.
Old October 31 2012, 01:39 AM   #239
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

In reality the general public doesnt know what the EU is, much less give a shit, and the general public's money is why Disney bought the franchise.

I could see whomever helms the new movies taking certain elements from the EU but for the most part it's going to remain as irrelevant as it's always been.

I am quite curious as to who will direct. As long as Lucas and his lap dog Dave Filoni stay away from it, it has the potential to be pretty good.
Old October 31 2012, 01:40 AM   #240
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

The new Dark Horse graphic novels coming out in 2013 are already going to change and contradict long-established EU lore
How? What are you referring to?