Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 30 2012, 10:09 PM   #76
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

You know, there are two things that are more important than new Star Wars films or shows:

1. Lucas now has a huge amount of stock in Disney
2. ILM is now part of Disney.
Old October 30 2012, 10:09 PM   #77
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Star Wars franchise & Disney acquisition

sojourner wrote: View Post
No, Disney will just put the movies into "the vault" and only release them for sale every 5 to 10 years.
This is worth mentioning but from this point forward the first 6 SW films and the The Clone Wars (2008) film will all be considered as "classic Disney films" in a few years. The
5 seasons of The Clone Wars TV series will just go in the HD television catalog.
All new film/TV product in the Star Wars franchise will get huge marketing campaigns and merchandising tie-ins larger than the previous 6 films starting with the estimated 2015 new SW feature film.
With 50 written episodes for the live-action SW series the SW franchise looked good to Disney to have the ability to do feature films and TV in addition to an animated series if they choose to do so.
With all of the outlets in the next 3 years and moving away from selling physical DVDs & Blu-ray in 5-10 years Disney will want to be able to control when things are available to stream, view on-demand, and download and thus the "Disney virtual vault".

With The Walt Disney Company currently licensing 14 theme parks around the world the ability to add rides and characters to their theme parks from this franchise will keep SW as a strong brand for decades to come.
With retail Disney stores selling all of this new SW and classic SW character merchandise it will bring in a certain revenue stream.

Since Disney owns TV networks such as Disney Channel, Disney XD, ABC, & ABC Family these are all traditional linear TV channel outlets to show new product.

Disney XD mostly airs action-oriented children's television series and movies aimed primarily towards young male viewers aged 6 to 14.
This is where I will expect the next SW animated series to end up. And I will guess it will be rendered at the Pixar renderfarm.
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney XD reaired The Clone Wars tv series in 2016 until the 2nd new film was out.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I would love a Star Wars Disney musical.
Oh I forgot with the success of the theatre Broadway musicals of The Lion King, Mary Poppins (2011), Newsies that of course Disney would make a musical on Broadway of SW.

I am going to guess that the next SW feature film in 2015 will not be shown as 2:35:1 ratio in cinemas but instead 1.78:1 (16x9) ratio.

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; October 30 2012 at 10:32 PM.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:10 PM   #78
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'm not sure whether to be scared or excited by this news...
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:11 PM   #79
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

I'll believe it when i see it.. 2015 seems too soon for such a huge project.

Star Wars isn't some kind of indie movie you can produce in 6 months.. they are huge and i don't know if they can be made in 2-3 years.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:12 PM   #80
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The word is that they'll make 7, 8, and 9 and other films as well!
link
Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind "Star Wars," from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the "Star Wars" series called "Episode 7," set for release in 2015, with plans to follow it with Episodes 8 and 9 and then one new movie every two or three years.
emphasis mine
This was always Lucas's idea for the SW movies. More like James Bond movies and the movie serials of his youth rather than a complete saga with a beginning and an end.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:13 PM   #81
Skywalker
Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post

Star Wars isn't some kind of indie movie you can produce in 6 months.. they are huge and i don't know if they can be made in 2-3 years.
Get ready to be surprised.

I do agree that 2015 seems just a little too soon, and it makes me think they've jumped ahead and announced the project before they'd even started putting any thought into what it will be about. 2016 might be better, but 2017 would be cool because of the fortieth anniversary of the original movie.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:15 PM   #82
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Why not? Episodes IV,V,and VI were released 3 years apart from each other (1977,1980, and 1983) as were the Prequels (1999, 2002, and 2005)

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:16 PM   #83
Saul
Rear Admiral

I'm sure there are any number of Episode 7 scripts already waiting to be viewed.
Old October 30 2012, 10:19 PM   #84
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Why not? Episodes IV,V,and VI were released 3 years apart from each other (1977,1980, and 1983) as were the Prequels (1999, 2002, and 2005)
But how soon did pre-production start? It's not like someone set a date to meet at the studio and get rolling.. before a second of footage is shot it takes months and sometimes years of work.

This is why i feel a 2015 release date (especially if it's in the summer.. July 4th for example) is too soon to deliver quality product.
I'd rather they take their time and find the best screenwriter/director duo they can find before we get another Phantom Menace.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:21 PM   #85
Aragorn
Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
But how soon did pre-production start? It's not like someone set a date to meet at the studio and get rolling.. before a second of footage is shot it takes months and sometimes years of work.

This is why i feel a 2015 release date (especially if it's in the summer.. July 4th for example) is too soon to deliver quality product.
I'd rather they take their time and find the best screenwriter/director duo they can find before we get another Phantom Menace.
Perhaps Episode 7 has been in the plans all along, long before today's news.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:23 PM   #86
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ We don't know how long this entire thing (the purchase of Lucasfilm and the planning of SW7) has been 'in train'.

EditEdit: Ninja'd

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:24 PM   #87
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
You know, there are two things that are more important than new Star Wars films or shows:

1. Lucas now has a huge amount of stock in Disney
2. ILM is now part of Disney.
The second point is obviously important (especially as Disney already have Pixar, and there are real synergies & efficiencies between those 2 divisions to be had), but unless Lucas has some kind of actual position in Disney, I'm not convinced his shares will matter massively.

Disney's market cap bounces around the $100B mark. Lucas is reportedly going to get 40M shares, which approximates to about a 2% shareholding in Disney itself. That's a significant percentage, but not enough to call many shots unless he has some other contractual agreement in place or a specific role in the expanded company. From what I hear Lucas is being retained as a "creative consultant", which could mean just about anything from "figurehead" to "driving force". I suspect "figurehead" will be about it.

Last edited by Holdfast; October 30 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:24 PM   #88
Saul
Rear Admiral

http://youtu.be/YyqlTi7lkhY

Lucas says he is passing over to them the story treatments for 7,8 and 9...
Old October 30 2012, 10:25 PM   #89
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
I'm sure there are any number of Episode 7 scripts already waiting to be viewed.
I think the idea of Disney going ahead with an Episode VII was probably one of the first things on the table when they began the talks of acquiring Lucasfilms.

"We've got a lengthy treatment that we feel really good aobut," [Disney Chairman/CEO Bob] Iger said of Episodes VII-IX.
http://www.newsarama.com/film/disney...wars-film.html

Seems like they have an idea of what they want to do already on the table, even if it's still only something scribbled down on a notepad somewhere...
Old October 30 2012, 10:26 PM   #90
billcosby
Commodore

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post

Get ready to be surprised.

I do agree that 2015 seems just a little too soon, and it makes me think they've jumped ahead and announced the project before they'd even started putting any thought into what it will be about. 2016 might be better, but 2017 would be cool because of the fortieth anniversary of the original movie.
This may have been in the works, secretly for years.

Oh man... imagine the nerdrage when all the Zhan trilogy elements are ignored... no Jedi twins, no Mara Jade, no Thrawn.
Unless the story is centred on the Zhan trilogy which would be sort of awesome (fucking amazing).

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote