RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 423
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 30 2012, 04:11 PM   #166
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

sojourner wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
But Emma can tell when people lie and Emma knows Regina doesn't love Henry.
What episode was this determined in? I don't recall it.
In the first or second episode, when Emma was still planning to leave Storybrooke, she directly asked Regina if she loved Henry. There was no character to speak to, but she immediately canceled her plans and took a room at Granny's (where she first saw Gold, who was collecting from Granny.) She clearly found it necessary to stay precisely because Regina did not love Henry. Emma's need to save Henry was her motivation for pretty much the entire season.

Speaking of motivation, wasn't the origin of Henry's book just dropped? Or did I miss a throwaway line or quick scene while in the kitchen for refills or whatever?
Old October 30 2012, 04:18 PM   #167
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Speaking of motivation, wasn't the origin of Henry's book just dropped? Or did I miss a throwaway line or quick scene while in the kitchen for refills or whatever?
I don't know if it was stated, but I thought August (Pinocchio) wrote the book. He came to town saying he was a writer, and he successfully added a new story to the book.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 04:32 PM   #168
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

But Emma can tell when people lie and Emma knows Regina doesn't love Henry. Except that now she plainly does. Seems close enough to a character rewrite to me that it's hard to know what else to call it.
I think you're either misremembering or misunderstood something. Regina's loved Henry since the first episode.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 04:40 PM   #169
stj
Rear Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
But Emma can tell when people lie and Emma knows Regina doesn't love Henry. Except that now she plainly does. Seems close enough to a character rewrite to me that it's hard to know what else to call it.
I think you're either misremembering or misunderstood something. Regina's loved Henry since the first episode.
In the first or second episode, when Emma was still planning to leave Storybrooke, she directly asked Regina if she loved Henry. There was no character to speak to, but she immediately canceled her plans and took a room at Granny's (where she first saw Gold, who was collecting from Granny.) She clearly found it necessary to stay precisely because Regina did not love Henry. Emma's need to save Henry was her motivation for pretty much the entire season.
I guess I should add that Henry needed saving only because Regina didn't love him, therefore could not be a good mother to him, despite her keeping to public standards for physical care and comfort.

Vendikarr, I thought some of the backstories were in the book but Pinocchio was a kid who couldn't realistically be expected to know the backstory. Of course, the sudden importation of realistic standards about what a character could be expected to know in-universe doesn't necessarily apply to a fantasy. That's an SF thing. So, you may be right.
Old October 30 2012, 04:49 PM   #170
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Horhay Garcia is going to be in next week's episode. He's pretty close with Lana Parrilla, so I was wondering if and when he'd show up.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I love the *idea* of this show but I haven't been sold on the execution as of yet. I wish visually it looked less like Wisteria Lane but I could deal with that. I just haven't been able to really gel with the characters and storylines. When I'm watching it I always feel like I'm watching a show I don't really get lost in it.
I feel the same way.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 05:42 PM   #171
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Vendikarr, I thought some of the backstories were in the book but Pinocchio was a kid who couldn't realistically be expected to know the backstory. Of course, the sudden importation of realistic standards about what a character could be expected to know in-universe doesn't necessarily apply to a fantasy. That's an SF thing. So, you may be right.
The only other logical option is that the book was a construct of Mr. Gold, as part of his long term plan to have Emma break the curse. Someone had to get her to Storybrook, and who better than her son.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:16 PM   #172
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
RJDemonicus wrote: View Post

This was a great episode. I loved that Whale is indeed Dr Frankenstein (although the closest they came to saying so was calling him "Victor").
Nah, his laboratory assistant (Ygor?) addressed him directly as "Dr. Frankenstein" at the very end . . . .
No kidding? That got by me. I'll have to check it out.
Old October 30 2012, 11:02 PM   #173
sojourner
Admiral

Season 3: Luke, Han, and Leia. Turns out Mr. Gold was really Vader.
Old October 30 2012, 11:25 PM   #174
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Season 3: Luke, Han, and Leia. Turns out Mr. Gold was really Vader.
Well, he was trying to convert his apprentice to the dark side . . . .

"I sense a great disturbance in Fairyland, as though millions of storybook characters cried out in anguish."

"Yeah, that's the Curse."
Old October 31 2012, 01:41 AM   #175
Snick27
Captain

Once Upon A Time” (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
Leaping over its lead-in by 162% in Adults 18-49 and building from start to finish, ABC’s “Once Upon A Time” registered as Sunday’s top-rated scripted broadcast series for the 5th week in a row. “Once Upon a Time” beat out its non-sports competition from 8:00-9:00 p.m., drawing a larger overall audience than “Amazing Race XXI” (+4% - 9.8 million vs. 9.4 million) and beating the CBS unscripted series by a resounding 36% in Adults 18-49 (3.4/8 vs. 2.5/6). The Disney-owned drama once again finished No. 1 straight out in its hour across all key Women (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54) and Teens 12-17. In fact, it was the No. 1 TV program of the night with Women 18-49.
  • Season to date in the L+7 ratings, “Once Upon a Time” jumps by 3.0 million viewers and by 1.3 Adult 18-49 rating points (+37%) over its initially-reported Live + Same Day ratings.
  • Building for the 2nd week in a row, ABC’s “Once Upon a Time” grew week to week in Adults 18-49 (+3%) and Adults 18-34 (+33%) to equal best-since-season-premiere numbers – since 9/30/12.
Old October 31 2012, 02:31 AM   #176
Snick27
Captain

So do i have this straight here:

Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold was a coward and about to lose his child to the war with the Ogres. Enter the Dark One Zoso whom wants to die so he tricks Rumpy into killing him, thus freeing himself and giving his curse/powers to Rumpy.

From what ive gathered so far that during this time till Baelfire was lost, there was no other magic in this realm. Well except Fairy magic.

Now once Baelfire was sucked into that portal, Rumpy had to find a way there. Now guessing his only way to do this was find a bean. Guessing some reason he couldnt find one and Mad Hatter couldnt find a way here either.

So he then came up with the curse but realized it would be better for someone else to open the curse. So he found Cora and gave her a book of magic, which besides Fairys means that she is the only one besides him that can handle magic.

But seeing how Cora wasnt on the right path for Rumpy or some reason wasnt following his desired plan, he used Regina to get rid of her and used the events in her life to get her to where she would unleash the curse.

Guessing at the same time he also gave powers to Maleficent for unknown reasons. Again maybe as a fall back plan.

Now once curse is hit and all transported to Storybrooke, Rumpy had to wait till timeing was right for Emma to finally come there.
Guessing he wrote the story book to get things started cause his whole plan was to get to our realm so he could go get his son, but still needs his power cause hey he is a coward.

So other words this was a plan from the start for Rumpy to gather power, and help from others to find a way here.
Old October 31 2012, 03:40 AM   #177
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I guess I should add that Henry needed saving only because Regina didn't love him, therefore could not be a good mother to him, despite her keeping to public standards for physical care and comfort.
Like I said, you were misremembering or misunderstanding something. The only reason she let Regina take Henry was because she did believe her when she said she loved him. Otherwise there was no way in Hell she was going to let Regina be his guardian. She still recognized that Regina was an evil bitch and wanted to get Henry away from her, but she didn't suspect that Regina would try to harm him in anyway because of that belief.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 06:25 AM   #178
JD
Admiral

Yeah, Regina has always loved Henry. I don't think that has ever been disputed.
Old October 31 2012, 06:35 AM   #179
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Regina claimed she loved Henry, but the show did sort of subtly play up the question of whether or not that claim was in fact accurate before revealing in A Land without Magic that it in fact was, at least to a degree.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 07:41 AM   #180
sojourner
Admiral

Henry is the embodiment of her remaining capacity to love after the death of her father.