To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 26 2012, 11:06 PM   #151
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Re: 15 Reasons JJ "Ruined & Destroyed" Star Trek

I didnt care for some of the forced plot points either. It was ugly, but it went from A to B, and now Kirk is captain of the enterprise, and I'm ready to forget the shortcomings of ST09 and experience the next film on its own. I'm looking forward to seeing the cast reprise their roles, and hopefully a trek movie that doesnt involve a crazy bad guy trying to destroy a planet.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 09:11 PM   #152
John Mason
Lieutenant Commander

now now ... one should keep an open mind... I do think he should try to adhere to canon ....
John Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 05:13 AM   #153
ichab
Commodore

Let me see: Before the reboot, Star Trek was dead. Enterprise was cut short due to low ratings and Nemesis tanked at the box office. I'd say Berman and Braga had already succeeded in ruining and destroying Star Trek. Anyone that doesn't like the new direction of the franchise has hundred of episodes and ten films to satisfy their cravings for the old timeline. Millions of dollars in box office returns says this reboot is the future. Get over it.
Old October 30 2012, 05:23 AM   #154
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

IT IS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 07:00 AM   #155
JRoss
Captain

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!! wrote: View Post
Shock of shocks, there is a Trek fan out there (just one!) who had the balls to not only dislike JJ Abrams 2009 film Star Trek, but also took it upon himself to outline in nauseating detail (and poor spelling and grammar by the way) his fifteen (fifteen!) reasons why.

Frankly, I'm surprised that no one in the past three years has brought any of these issues up. Food for thought, to be sure.

Your thoughts?
Too long; didn't read.
Old October 30 2012, 07:29 AM   #156
mos6507
Captain

I personally find those who say "it made a lot of money, get over it" to be more annoying than someone who makes what I feel to be a thoughtful (albet emotional) dissertation of why a movie sucks.

If you want to defend a movie, please try to use some other criteria besides box office receipts. We all know plenty of good movies fail at the box office and plenty of bad movies make money. It's boring to use the "it made money" excuse.

I would argue that the demographic that liked JJ Trek is probably the least capable of defending the movie based on its intrinsic merits and most likely to reach for the "it made a lot of money" excuse.
Old October 30 2012, 08:05 AM   #157
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

And yet, somehow, that still strikes me as being a more credible argument than "Abrams destroyed Star Trek!!!" with one movie.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 08:34 AM   #158
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I personally find those who say "it made a lot of money, get over it" to be more annoying than someone who makes what I feel to be a thoughtful (albet emotional) dissertation of why a movie sucks.

If you want to defend a movie, please try to use some other criteria besides box office receipts. We all know plenty of good movies fail at the box office and plenty of bad movies make money. It's boring to use the "it made money" excuse.

I would argue that the demographic that liked JJ Trek is probably the least capable of defending the movie based on its intrinsic merits and most likely to reach for the "it made a lot of money" excuse.
Your argument would be in error, especially when people in this very thread have given their reasons as to why they like the movie, and many of those reasons are more than just "it made money".
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 10:31 AM   #159
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post

Your argument would be in error, especially when people in this very thread have given their reasons as to why they like the movie, and many of those reasons are more than just "it made money".
Yeah. Star Trek was a great space opera piece of fun from beginning to end. It gave a starting story for Kirk and Spock that showed how these two so well complemented each other and did it in a non-stop roller coaster ride. No Star Trek movie has given that to the general audience, fun, that's what people pay ticket prices for.

JJ didn't worry about the 'Star Trek Vision Thing', good for him. The TV shows, and the movies labored under that and squelched out any kind of real joie de vivre for being meaningful and came up with stale boring stories. Star Trek under JJ worried about telling a fun story rather than worry about The Vision Thing, and I hope he does so with the next film, too. I am tickled pink to have Kirk and the gang back on screen in fine, fun, larger than life stories.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 02:23 PM   #160
ichab
Commodore

What's boring is the belief that a movie which was a hit with critics and audiences needs defending.

The movie enjoys a 95% rating on rottentomatoes.com. These are critics that make a living turning movies inside out in order to find something to gripe about. The majority liked it. There's nothing wrong with being the minority opinion. I can't stand Avatar yet millions of people loved it. But I would never presume to think that those who like Avatar don't have solid reasons.

I still fail to see how the movie ruined the Star Trek franchise. Before the movie, Trek was D-E-A-D. It was so dead that Paramount didn't even bother celebrating the 40th anniversary. How can you ruin what was already a lifeless corpse?

Last edited by ichab; October 30 2012 at 02:52 PM.
ichab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 03:43 PM   #161
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

ichab wrote: View Post
The majority liked it. There's nothing wrong with being the minority opinion.
Exactly. But the "it made lots of money" factoid is simply a tangible piece of evidence that something about this movie excited general audiences and had them telling their friends, and coming back for more viewings themselves.

I can't stand Avatar yet millions of people loved it. But I would never presume to think that those who like Avatar don't have solid reasons.
I certainly enjoyed my time in the cinema with it, and I really don't begrudge people loving it. It did surprise me that the story was essentially a live-action/CGI remake of the animated "FernGully: The Last Rainforest".

I still fail to see how the movie ruined the Star Trek franchise.
It didn't!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 04:26 PM   #162
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

ichab wrote: View Post
How can you ruin what was already a lifeless corpse?
By putting Kirk's mother in the wrong place, that's how!

She was supposed to be in the kitchen. Or something.
Old October 30 2012, 05:16 PM   #163
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
IT IS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE.

It's hyperbole time!

CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 07:22 PM   #164
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

If the argument consists of "it made a lot of money, get over it" and nothing more, then yes, it's pretty weak and likely to be annoying when presented. Granted.

However...

Do you really believe that unqualified statements about "the demographic that liked JJ Trek" are in some way superior to or more satisfying than the "it made a pile of money" ones? Which demographic would that be? (Feel free to cite evidence in support of your position.*)

(* ...but please, please, please: don't bring the "Young ADD people like JJ-Trek; older, more sensible and mature people prefer Real Trek™" canard - that one's lame and never did work.)
Old October 30 2012, 08:55 PM   #165
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

I want to meet this so called "ADD Generation" I'm apparently apart of. Sounds like a good party.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote