Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 22 2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Timo
Admiral

Re: Gul Dukat/Gul Macet

...Perhaps she was? Our heroes ran away before they would have been able to tell whether the Warbird of Commander Taris recovered from the software weapon or succumbed to it.

Sometimes "return of an old nemesis" stories work very well even when there's no logical reason for the old nemesis to cross paths with our heroes again. The Commander of the Warbird that Troi infiltrated was not on a mission in any way relating to Picard or the Enterprise, so having her be Taris would have been quite a coincidence. But the writers could have forced us to swallow that coincidence, and made references to the Commander having once been humiliated by Troi's very starship, thus heightening the tension of what would happen if Troi got exposed. On the other hand, the story worked well without such references.

Personally, I'm happy the TNG/DS9/VOY Cardassian character crossovers were essentially limited to Gul Evek, and kept elegantly in context. I would have loved to see a TNG Ferengi military character visit DS9 in some role, though - mainly because I think the military (privateering?) side of the Ferengi culture would have warranted some mention in DS9.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
I wonder if the writer of Reunion got a check every time Gowron showed up later in TNG and on DS9.
Most likely, yes. But whereas Gowron only appears a handful of times, Tom Paris appeared in every VOY episode. That's a lot more checks. It also depends on how the writers contacts were worded.
Old October 25 2012, 10:40 PM   #18
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Since Gowron showed up in more than one TNG episode, he was no longer the property of the writer who created him he was the property of the show itself and there were no royalties involved in his usage in DS9. Locarno was only in one TNG episode so there would be a royalty issue.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 10:42 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Since Gowron showed up in more than one TNG episode, he was no longer the property of the writer who created him he was the property of the show itself and there were no royalties involved in his usage in DS9. Locarno was only in one TNG episode so there would be a royalty issue.
Huh.. I didn't know that. Then couldn't they have worked Locarno into Preemptive Strike somehow then since Season 7 was running when they were setting up the Voyager concept?
Old October 26 2012, 03:12 PM   #20
indolover
Fleet Captain

I don't get why so many people have this confusion.

It's simply the same actor, but a different character.

One seldom hears/reads people confuse Lacarno with Tom Paris.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 09:35 PM   #21
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

There wasn't any need to have Macet be the character on DS9. As shown on TNG, he is clearly not the villain that Dukat was. Macet is a decent, honorable sort. He's every way the opposite of Dukat, really. Somehow I doubt they got along very well as kids.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 09:46 PM   #22
Pavonis
Commodore

I'm not sure that what we saw of Macet was necessarily representative of his "usual" self. If we took similar installments of Dukat's appearances in DS9, he'd look to be just as reasonable and honorable as Macet in some episodes, and like a raving lunatic in other episodes.

For all we know, Macet was behind the secret shipping in sector 21505, and was deliberately sent to be the liaison because he knew what would be found if things went awry.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 08:47 AM   #23
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I'm not sure that what we saw of Macet was necessarily representative of his "usual" self.
The key point is though, there's nothing about Macet that screams, "This guy should have been Dukat!"
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 01:10 AM   #24
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

There's also nothing to indicate that he was hiding his "usual" self.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 03:52 AM   #25
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I dunno, I liked the Macet character in the novels with the creeped out factor he inspired in people and whispers that he was really Dukat.
Old October 29 2012, 06:30 AM   #26
DS9 Gal AZ
Captain

I would have paid to see a scene between Macet and Dukat. Can't you just picture it?

Dukat: "I simply don't understand why people insist on saying we look alike. You may be my cousin, but I'm much handsomer than you!"
Old October 30 2012, 07:45 AM   #27
t_smitts
Commander

DS9 Gal AZ wrote: View Post
I would have paid to see a scene between Macet and Dukat. Can't you just picture it?

Dukat: "I simply don't understand why people insist on saying we look alike. You may be my cousin, but I'm much handsomer than you!"
There was never any reason to expect that to happen. Macet was a one-shot character, never mentioned again. (And yes I know he's in the novels).

Apart from Lwaxana talking to the computer, there's never been a case of unrelated characters played by the same actor in the same scene. In case such as Data/Lore/Soong or Doctor/Zimmerman, the resemblance was intentional.

Jeffrey Combs has said in interviews he imagined doing a scene where Weyoun and Brunt pass each other in the hallway, glance at each other for a moment, then keep walking. Fun as that would be, there's no reason that would happen, other than for the sake of doing it.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote