Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old October 27 2012, 05:31 AM   #151
gturner
Admiral

Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

They'd have figured it out a lot sooner if they'd had him swap bodies with somebody.
Old October 27 2012, 09:49 AM   #152
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Learning Curve: As soon as I saw this picture I thought "that looks like a goddamn Borg cube. Bad stuff IS coming." I was wrong.

Then when I saw the kids, the freaky children of the corn kids, I thought, "them chilluns are gonna DIE." I was partially wrong.

Pretty great ep showing a very interesting culture. If they start adding all kinds of stuff to the learning nanites they might even end up as total freaks. Go on, put some religion in there and BOOM they are cultists! Look how one day in the playground revolutionized them.. they should be careful. What they think of as a strength makes them the ultimate brainwash vulnerable people.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 27 2012, 11:46 AM   #153
teacake
Admiral

Point of View: I love Alternate Universe stories. One of my favorite ever themes. And this one was fabulous! I can hear the Stargate powers that be, "Just feed the shippers this candy.. eat shippers, feed upon it, there's some nice shippers yessss.."

Every time AU Carter had a temporal cascade tremor which involved lots of convulsing and her head phase shifting in disturbing and dorky ways O'Neill got this disgusted look on his face. Each time it happened I thought, "this is not a man who should show up at his woman's childbirth, you just KNOW that look is gonna happen at some point."

This pic doesn't even do it justice. Thank goodness the widowed AU Carter was too busy Linda Blair-ing her head back and forth to notice.

Too bad about Kawalsky being dead in our reality. They should have had him in Atlantis instead of Rainbow. It would have been a more poignant end.

And I did have a laugh when we saw MU Apophis!

Great episode.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 27 2012, 03:44 PM   #154
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Both episodes, Learning Curve and Point of View, are among my favourite episodes. I love MU/AU-episodes as well. I always ask the "what if?"-question, and it's nice to see that apparently the writers do as well. *g*

O'Neill and kids... how can I resist?
Old October 27 2012, 09:02 PM   #155
gturner
Admiral

Yep, two great episodes. Samantha had to watch herself kissing O'Neill, knowing that he was probably finding out what her tongue was like and hoping he wouldn't blab to the rest of the team, much less to McKay or Felger.

The Naquadah generator becomes a fixture throughout the series, and on into Stargate Atlantis.
Old October 27 2012, 10:08 PM   #156
teacake
Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post
Yep, two great episodes. Samantha had to watch herself kissing O'Neill, knowing that he was probably finding out what her tongue was like and hoping he wouldn't blab to the rest of the team, much less to McKay or Felger.
I wish Trek had given us as much to play with in the shipping lines. Even after actually having sex with MU Dax there was no tensions, no lingering looks.. NOTHING from Sisko when he got back to his reality Dax. That's not even normal, even if he regretted it there should have been some embarrassment or discomfort when he first saw his Dax.
The Naquadah generator becomes a fixture throughout the series, and on into Stargate Atlantis.
Oh is it? Yes I have seen all of Atlantis but I'm quite the tech tard. I'll remember Hathor's nailpolish choices long before I'll remember doohicky devices that are gonna save the day.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 27 2012, 10:54 PM   #157
gturner
Admiral

When the ship from Earth finally arrived (season 2?), they brought an enhanced naquadah generator to help power the city. That's the same episode where the Wraith directly attacked Atlantis.
Old October 28 2012, 07:24 AM   #158
teacake
Admiral

Deadman's Switch: Flash Gordon captures the team! But it turns out he's an old softie and so he lets them go.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 28 2012, 09:21 AM   #159
teacake
Admiral

Demons:The Unas is awesome. As usual it's horrible to see a people ground down for generations in fear and suffering at the hands of the Goa'uld. Bury the Gate is a meme that needs some widespread airplay.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 28 2012, 09:22 AM   #160
gturner
Admiral

Sadly enough, the Harris Bock character in Deadman Switch never made another appearance in Stargate because he got a contract with another studio to make Boba Fett his personal bitch, which he did.
Old October 28 2012, 11:46 AM   #161
teacake
Admiral

^ He has an excellent face.

Rules of Engagement: Apophis has his own cult of boys who don't even need a goa'uld in their gut to think he's just awesome. They are utterly brainwashed and live only to train in his service. Yet just 4 seconds of some old guy who looks like he could be Apophis's grandpa calling for a host and then seemingly dying is enough to deprogram them.

Still, an enjoyable and interesting episode.

The possibilities for making snarky political commentary with this pic are endless.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 28 2012, 11:17 PM   #162
gturner
Admiral

That episode really didn't do much for me, though it had some interesting elements.

If his purpose was to create infiltrators, the Goa'uld had lots of better methods, using mind control and whatnot. If his purpose was to come up with more effective soldiers, he wouldn't have needed the slightest hint of American stuff, just adaptations in weapons and tactics.
Old October 29 2012, 03:41 AM   #163
teacake
Admiral

I've figured out an in universe explanation for why a blurry video of Apophis deprogrammed them all so easily. Something's been done to their brains in the first place to make them very easily persuaded into beliefs, as a part of the training program. It was not expected that they would ever have any outside influence until the time came to infiltrate earth, and perhaps their brains would have been toughened up before that.

As to it not being the most effective method, I think it comes down to the Goa'uld experimenting with all kinds of techniques and this is just one of them.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 29 2012, 11:23 AM   #164
teacake
Admiral

Forever in a Day: In the opening scenes we see Sha're again and I suddenly realized how much I like her. I actually thought, wow she could become one of my favorite characters, I hope we see a lot more of her.

Roll the Stargate theme and credits..

"Sha're is dead".

SERIOUSLY?! Why does this always happen!

And then we get a really interesting episode with a twist at the end that took me by surprise. A whole new direction opens up for Daniel Jackson, and I don't just mean that he is back on the market though obviously this is also cool.

That was great.

However I still think Daniel is a jerk for not caring one whit about the kid of his beloved until he was ordered to and given some special purpose for it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 29 2012, 04:14 PM   #165
AJ86
Captain

teacock wrote: View Post
However I still think Daniel is a jerk for not caring one whit about the kid of his beloved until he was ordered to and given some special purpose for it.
It's not really her child in any meaningful sense though is it? She was basically raped and forced to conceive and give birth to a Goa'uld in human form.