Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 45 25.71%
A 48 27.43%
A- 29 16.57%
B+ 14 8.00%
B 8 4.57%
B- 11 6.29%
C+ 4 2.29%
C 4 2.29%
C- 7 4.00%
D+ 2 1.14%
D 1 0.57%
D- 0 0%
F 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 25 2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

I've got the tickets too see the 21:15 showing on Saturday evening. Both me and the other half work till latish tomorrow and off on Saturday!

Am rather looking forward to it. I might even say a few words when we get in on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
A grading and discussion thread implies that there will be spoilers. As for the thread starting now a few days before the UK general release. I don't remember seeing many threads waiting for a UK/International release when that occurs after a US release. You can't apply a form of double standards, expect others to wait for a thread to be started because it hasn't been released yet in a particular country. Or we would be waiting weeks if not months till it had come out in all countries. The fairest and simplist way is to create the thread when a film/TV series first comes out no matter the country in which it first comes out.
Exactly, it makes perfect 100% sense to make a thread about Skyfall days before it's release in the UK as that's one of the first places it's being released.

Was it the same when The Avengers came out here before America or four years ago when Quantum of Solace was released here before the colonies?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 03:33 AM   #17
Faldor
Fleet Captain

View Faldor's Twitter Profile

There are some Bond films that can be accused of sticking rigidly close to formula. This isn't one.

You could call it 'The World is Not Enough' done right. A Villain with a close connection to 'M', MI6 being closed due to an explosion and a more personal assignment for Bond.
But on the other hand it feels unlike any other film in the franchise. Bond is usually the example held up to show how all those screen writing books are wrong as here is a character who doesn't change but Skyfall is one of the few to give Bond a clear character arc.

Bond is shot in the pre-title sequence and spends three months living the quiet life until he hears about a terrorist attack on London and decides to come in from the cold. He's bitter towards M who ordered him shot and in a training sequence we learn he is no longer the crack marksman he once and as one character remarks in "a young man's game" which gives it a similar tone to Star Trek II which also features a hero dealing with aging. With Craig having signed on for two more films its an odd time to bring such a subject up.

Overall it's a good film and a welcome return to form after Quantum of Solace but refreshingly different from the 'cookie cutter' formula that hold some of the series back.
Old October 26 2012, 04:33 PM   #18
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Just got back from seeing it. I gave it an A+. It's a great celebration of the Bond legacy and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now for the spoilery bits, so look away now...

SPOILERS!

It almost feels like this should have been the movie to relaunch the franchise with its theme of rebirth and the re-introduction of familiar Bond characters. At times it can feel a bit out of place compared to the previous two films, but Bond has never really had story arcs which span over films so it's not too jarring.

I'm glad that the film focused on M just as much (if not moreso) as Bond as I've really enjoyed Judi Dench in the role and I'm glad she got a lot of screentime in her swansong. I did like the new Q and I'm sure Ralph Fiennes will be good as the new M. Just before Moneypenny was revealed I did think 'Hmm, have we heard her last name yet,' and it was nice to see the office from the classic Bond films.

I only have two minor complaints - one is that Javier Bardem is so good that I wish he had more screentime, but I suppose less is more. The other is that there wasn't really a Bond girl, on the way back I saw a poster with umm...I can't remember her name, but really she was only in the film for a handful of minutes.

Although the running time was quite lengthy its one of those films that doesn't drag, and it really didn't feel like two hours and a half had gone by. It looked absolutely stunning too, a couple of my favourite scenes were the silhouette fight early in the film between Bond & Patrice and the shot of Silva walking away from the blazing Skyfall.

Speaking of Skyfall it was good that we got a glimpse into Bond's past but I'm glad they didn't give us too much details. I quite like not knowing exactly how Bond became Bond.

Oh, and I hope the gun barrel will be back at the start from now on.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Saw it today. I thought it was fantastic.

Great opening scene that sucked me right in. Bardem was over the top but it really worked for me, I love the eccentric psychopath role he played - no doubt one of my favorite Bond baddies. It felt different from
pretty much all the Bond films and it was interesting to see him struggling so much when he came back from being the coolest drunk ever. It made Shanghai look like the coolest city that's ever existed, brilliantly shot. Was also great to see so much of it shot in London too. Was interesting to see tidbits from Bond's past and I loved the last words that M had for him considering their confrontational past over the last 3 movies.

Can't recommend it enough.
Old October 26 2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Sagart
Fleet Captain

I was very lucky to have a ticket for the World Premiere on Tuesday night and I've just seen it again in the IMAX. I loved it. I think it's a fantastic Bond movie. Craig now owns this role. The acting in general is of a very high standard. London made for a very fitting setting for much of the action and it was surpringly funny. The photography is beautiful and the whole thing seems to have been done with great love and care. It is at once fresh and classic, a wonderful way to mark the 50th anniversary.
Old October 26 2012, 07:32 PM   #21
EyalM
Captain

That was good, but the first two acts were better then the last. Maybe because they felt more in line with what I consider to be "classic Bond".

The first confrontation between Bond and Silva was hilariously awkward
Old October 26 2012, 07:46 PM   #22
Wereghost
Commodore

Enjoyed it a lot, probably the best of Craig's Bond movies so far and I can easily see Sam Mendes returning for the next one.

This movie got a lot of things right and seems to have learned from others' mistakes. Nice to see Bond's ordeal actually have an impact on him (I'm looking at you, Die Another Day), and to have a story that feels like full-fat Bond without being an obvious retread. The movie is bolstered by some fine performances, particularly from Bardem (who provides the best Bond villain in ages and adds another standout psychopath to his CV). The cinematography and music were top-notch too, and pacing-wise the film never a lags or feels rushed.

Further observations and comments:

Not sure where exactly I stand regarding Ben Whishaw's Q. I think the old-head-on-young-shoulders approach is a little lacking in credible naturalism, but I guess you can't expect an eccentric genius to behave like 95% of the populace. Also, I could easily imagine this fellow taking up the reins from Matt Smith when the latter leaves Doctor Who.

Craig himself gives a robust performance as Bond, managing to bring both humanity and a little Conneryesque insouciance and humour to the role. Not sure about the quips; they seemed to lack comic timing, though perhaps this was deliberate. This Bond is ruthless and unflappable where needed, but he's far from a complete backstard.

Anyway, B+. Really entertaining, well worth a few hours of this viewer's time, and bona fide Bond to boot.
Old October 26 2012, 08:13 PM   #23
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

Saw it today. Brilliant film, had all the stuff that Quantum of Solace was missing in spades.

Definitely flushed away the Quantum turd for me!
Old October 26 2012, 10:32 PM   #24
Lonemagpie
Writer

it was great! Campest villain ever, but great. The only thing missing really was a David Arnold score (Newman's score was better than I expected, but not as good as DA). Dunno about all this "old" stuff re DC's Bond - he's the same age as me!

"Welcome to Scotland" - Heh

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 03:05 PM   #25
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

Ignore this one, it doubleposted.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 03:09 PM   #26
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

I loved it! Amazing edition to the bond franchise! And It really sets us up for more of the classic bond formula next time!

Some of the most "bond" moments for me:

Also loved how the beach bits were filmed were I went on holiday this year, In Fethiye.

Hellooo...
Old October 27 2012, 04:15 PM   #27
Lonemagpie
Writer

John Logan has signed on to pen the next two Bonds, which apparently are going to be a two-part arc, and may be shot back-to-back.

Oddly the report about it, when listing his credits, leaves out ST: Nemesis... (speaking of which, Stuart Baird edited Skyfall and proved yet again that he's a far better editor than director)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 04:18 PM   #28
John Clark
Commodore

Just back from seeing it. I'd say it's my favourite of the Craig films and overall was a cracking film
Old October 27 2012, 05:41 PM   #29
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I haven't seen the film yet, but what's with that screaming woman with the wild hair sandwiched between all those serious looking people in the poster? It's so hilariously out of place.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 06:04 PM   #30
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

Got a pic of that?

Hellooo...