Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 26 2012, 05:59 PM   #16
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: One Dollar Audios

Voyage to Venus has been released, a full month early! If you've pre-ordered either the CD or download, it's in your download queue on bigfinish.com right now. You can order at the discounted price through the end of the year, then it goes up to full price.
Old October 26 2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Valeyard wrote: View Post
Voyage to Venus has been released, a full month early! If you've pre-ordered either the CD or download, it's in your download queue on bigfinish.com right now. You can order at the discounted price through the end of the year, then it goes up to full price.
Thanks OmahaValleyard, I've been wondering if I would get an email, or have to keep track of the release date, or if you'd sing it out that it was released.

I'll probably download it and burn this weekend (Then the trick will be waiting until I finish HP and have more new Doctor Who saved up to listen to a group Doctor again. Always depressing to hae only 1 new story to listen to, it just goes by too fast)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 09:58 PM   #18
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Thanks OmahaValleyard, I've been wondering if I would get an email, or have to keep track of the release date, or if you'd sing it out that it was released.
You knew I would. And no worries. I listened to it today and enjoyed it quite a bit. And that's as much as I'll say until others have had a chance to listen to it as well. Spoilers and all that.

I'm thinking of keeping the Valeyard name after Halloween. It's been a decade, maybe time for a change. What do you think?

I'll probably download it and burn this weekend (Then the trick will be waiting until I finish HP and have more new Doctor Who saved up to listen to a group Doctor again. Always depressing to hae only 1 new story to listen to, it just goes by too fast)
I've had an awesome day. I got the Voyage download (still not sure if they are sending the CD next month or if they've already sent it; doesn't matter, since I already have the file), but also received another set that I ordered from whona.com ... The Ultimate Adventure and Beyond the Ultimate Adventure. Combined, with shipping, was less than 25 bucks. And normally just the first one is 25 bucks.

In 1989, a stage play premiered called The Ultimate Adventure, with Jon Pertwee reprising his Third Doctor role. He played it for 10 weeks, then retired (he turned 70 during this period). After that, it was slightly retooled and Colin Baker took over playing Six. In total, the stage play ran for five months.

A couple years ago, BF worked with Terrance Dicks, who wrote the original play, to update it for audio. It's a two-disc set, complete with extensive interviews with the cast and crew. It features new companions Jason, a French man the Doctor rescued just before his execution was to take place, and Chris, a young woman who works in a bar as a singer. Recently, they released a sequel in the Companion Chronicles line bringing back those two companions and Colin as the Doctor.

I've listened to about six hours' worth of Sixth Doctor material today. Why yes, I am in an awesome mood today.
Old October 26 2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I kinda like the Valeyard Moniker, so, yea, if you're happy with it, by all means, keep it.

Wow, 6 hours of Colin, you must be in "Colin Heaven"

Old October 27 2012, 02:32 AM   #20
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

SO, I downloaded it and burned it to disk, and popped it in to test out it's playability and I was reminded it's Jago and Lightfoot, I had forgotten about that (Have to pull out Talons of Weng Chiang to watch prior to the listening)

Surprised it was only a single disc story, most of the stories I've gotten were at least two discs or box sets. I was concerned about my download when I saw the files seemed to be a single disk (And fit on one) (Don't get me wrong, I'll pay a Buck a Story all day long, even if it was only half a disc long ).

Now, I'm gonna be staring at the disc, wanting to put it in, but, it will be so much better waiting, at least until the second part is released (And I'll probably get some more Evelyn's for the group in the meantime). Damn, I shoulda left it zipped up until later...Oh well, it's good to have to wait and want, right

I consume 5+ hours of Audiobook/Play a week on my commute, so, I always need to plan ahead

Last edited by Sindatur; October 27 2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old October 27 2012, 02:53 AM   #21
OmahaStar

I'm curious. Were you given just one option for download? I had two. One was for the mp3 file only, the other for the audiobook. I went with the audiobook. It includes the cover, and the liner notes and all, but also includes interviews from the cast and crew.

I'm thinking if you do download only, it gives you just the mp3, but if you do the cd, then you get both options. And that's why I ask, since you have experience there.

I do hope this means we'll get the sequel a month early as well. Otherwise, that wait is going to be way longer than I'd like.
Old October 27 2012, 03:05 AM   #22
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I'm curious. Were you given just one option for download? I had two. One was for the mp3 file only, the other for the audiobook. I went with the audiobook. It includes the cover, and the liner notes and all, but also includes interviews from the cast and crew.

I'm thinking if you do download only, it gives you just the mp3, but if you do the cd, then you get both options. And that's why I ask, since you have experience there.

I do hope this means we'll get the sequel a month early as well. Otherwise, that wait is going to be way longer than I'd like.
I got both choices.

I tried Audiobook first, thinking that would be broken down into specific chapters. It's an M4B file, and my burning program didn't recognize it (I think that's an Ipod file?). It was all one file, so expecting a 2 Disk Story I downloaded the MP3 version, and couldn't listen to them, but, was able to burn them. MP3 was the one with Chapter breakdown, and included I believe 3 extra chapters:
Ch 23 Interviews 1
Ch 24 Interviews 2
Ch 25 Interviews 3
(Plus the Ch 22 Trailer for Voyage to the New World)

So, yea, I got both options for DL_Only and was confused, but, muddled through it, LOL. Not sure if the M4B "audiobook" file will play my computer or not?

Old October 27 2012, 03:41 AM   #23
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

.m4b is specifically an iTunes format (though iTunes is a free download if you don't have it).
Old October 29 2012, 11:43 PM   #24
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Voyage to Venus was great.

It had a very old fashioned 50's sci-fi feel that really worked. I tend not to think much of the audios covers but I thought that was pretty good too.

Nice Pertwee nods in it too.

I got the audio version of Barrowmans Torchwood book. I'll be starting that tomorrow.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 12:51 AM   #25
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
.m4b is specifically an iTunes format (though iTunes is a free download if you don't have it).
If you rename it to .m4a or .mp4, any software that supports AAC playback should play it.

(Well, the books from Big Finish. Not books from the iTunes Music Store with DRM on it.)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 11:17 PM   #26
Pindar
Rear Admiral

I listened to New World today, it was a bit muddled at the very start but overall very enjoyable.

The three of them work very well together.

Ramon Tikaram sounded very like the alchemist from the Pertwee audio from years ago.
Old January 9 2013, 11:43 PM   #27
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Pindar wrote: View Post
I listened to New World today, it was a bit muddled at the very start but overall very enjoyable.

The three of them work very well together.

Ramon Tikaram sounded very like the alchemist from the Pertwee audio from years ago.
Oh, is it released finally? Omaha forgot to sound the alarm

Gonna have to log into my BF account tonight and download/burn it

Old January 10 2013, 12:10 AM   #28
Pindar
Rear Admiral

I actually downloaded it around Christmas. I only just got round to it today.

I was surprised no one else had mentioned it yet.
Old January 10 2013, 12:10 AM   #29
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Awesome! I ordered them back when they were first offered and then totally forgot about this. Downloading now!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 12:17 AM   #30
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Awesome! I ordered them back when they were first offered and then totally forgot about this. Downloading now!
Heh, yea, I didn't forget about, but, yea, I pre-ordered right away, and was waiting for someone to say it had been released. It would be nice if they could set up an email notification for release of pre-orders, but, hey, you can't beat $1 for an audio story

Pindar, yea, it'll be awhile before I get around to either of them. Currently listening to Harry Potter Series and only a little over halfway through Book 5. I figure by the time I finish HP, I'll have Gallifrey S4, both of these, and probably pick up some Colin/Evelyn audios, and have a Whoniverse feast