Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 26 2012, 11:53 PM   #196
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Any old timers still around?

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Interesting, I always assumed your name intentionally translated to "psycho dad", since pere is father in French.
Yeah, at the time I registered I didn't know that, so it later became one reason that I've occasionally considered a change. I was definitely too young to be a father when I registered here.

As I recall, kgibsonuk used to call me "psycho dad" often.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 02:10 AM   #197
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

HI GUYS.
Old October 27 2012, 06:05 AM   #198
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

HIIIIIII, WACKY!
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 08:27 AM   #199
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
Out of curiosity how many other people here have changed their screenname over the years? I've been cooleddie74 since the day I first joined and have never really been all that tempted to change it. I know we've had a few people who've changed theirs multiple times and for very lame and sketchy reasons (one in particular comes to mind but I won't mention them myself...if you guys can guess then more power to you) but as the years go by my memory of some board monikers has gotten pretty cloudy.
I've been Zion Ravescene since before I joined the TrekBBS - I first used the name on two different BBSs which I signed up to earlier in 2004 but hardly ever visit these days. However, in what will be very close to 8 years ago now, I didn't originally sign up here as Zion Ravescene.

Incidentally, I've been considering changing the username again - this time simplifying things just to ZR (seeing as that's how most people here address me these days - I mean, Zion Ravescene is a bit of a mouthful, or so they say... ).

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
I've been TorontoTrekker since I first joined. It's pretty descriptive of me, although the convention I volunteer for, which used to be called Toronto Trek, changed its name to Polaris in 2007.

If I were to change my name, the only other name I use online is a nickname that was given to me by a bartender at the place I used to hang out at, when I was telling him about how I was working on three conventions and trying to get a fourth one started. He said, "Your problem is, you're the boy who can't say 'no'." That's how I acquired the Livejournal handle "boywhocantsayno", and I use it in a few other places as well. I enjoy letting people misinterpret its meaning.

(Though I probably shouldn't use it on dating websites... )
Name changes aside, it wouldn't be you without that iconic avatar of yours.

In fact, I find that some of the most memorable users here are those with the same old avatars, never (or rarely) changing over time and therefore becoming inextricably but reassuringly linked to that person, to the extent that I can't picture the posts of that person without their avatar by their side. It even works in reverse in some cases, where I associate the image as depicted in the avatar with the user on the TrekBBS.

"In Germany, fear comes before sex... and if you're lucky, then a little bit later, an elf." -- Victoria Coren Mitchell
People call me Zion Ravescene...
Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 11:22 PM   #200
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

CaptainWacky wrote: View Post
HI GUYS.
HELLO OLD TIMER!
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 02:25 AM   #201
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

cultCRUSH! wrote: View Post
Fantastic! I'll have to learn that song for the next time I'm at karaoke. (With one particular lyrical change, of course... )

ZR de los Muertos wrote: View Post
TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
I've been TorontoTrekker since I first joined. It's pretty descriptive of me, although the convention I volunteer for, which used to be called Toronto Trek, changed its name to Polaris in 2007.

If I were to change my name, the only other name I use online is a nickname that was given to me by a bartender at the place I used to hang out at, when I was telling him about how I was working on three conventions and trying to get a fourth one started. He said, "Your problem is, you're the boy who can't say 'no'." That's how I acquired the Livejournal handle "boywhocantsayno", and I use it in a few other places as well. I enjoy letting people misinterpret its meaning.

(Though I probably shouldn't use it on dating websites... )
Name changes aside, it wouldn't be you without that iconic avatar of yours.
D'awwww. I've never had the word "iconic" associated with me before.

In fact, I find that some of the most memorable users here are those with the same old avatars, never (or rarely) changing over time and therefore becoming inextricably but reassuringly linked to that person, to the extent that I can't picture the posts of that person without their avatar by their side. It even works in reverse in some cases, where I associate the image as depicted in the avatar with the user on the TrekBBS.
I remember, a few years ago, I was asked to participate in an April Fools' Day avatar swap. I got at least one PM from someone who had been temporarily confused until they spotted my avatar being used by someone else.

But I know what you mean. There are a few people whose avatars I've gotten used to seeing over the years, and which bring a smile to my face when I see them. Especially when the poster hasn't been around as much as they used to be.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 10:58 AM   #202
Starkers
Admiral

I've been Starkers since I signed on here, aside from Halloween/Christmas temporary changes and I tend to be Starkers online wherever possible (or some variation thereof)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 08:32 AM   #203
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Welcome back, Wacky!
Starkers, you registered here about half a year before me, but I can't recall your name. I stuck mainly to the Lounges and Misc, though, as I still do. Which are your favourite board sections?

Oh, speaking of sections - what became of Section 31? Is he still around?
Old October 30 2012, 09:01 AM   #204
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

^Didn't he get sectioned?
Old October 30 2012, 09:57 AM   #205
Starkers
Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Welcome back, Wacky!
Starkers, you registered here about half a year before me, but I can't recall your name. I stuck mainly to the Lounges and Misc, though, as I still do. Which are your favourite board sections?

Oh, speaking of sections - what became of Section 31? Is he still around?
Well for a long time I was mainly to be found in Fanfic/Doctor Who but I have branched out a bit more in the last few years, and I haven't hung around in fanfic for years. Now it's mainly Dr Who/Te and media, science fiction and fantasy, sport (though mostly just the soccer thread) and I've started hanging around misc a lot lately

There are loads of names I didn't recognise on this thread who've been here as long (sometimes longer) as me. Guess a lot of us just stuck to very specific boards. I don't know how some people have the time to crop up in so many

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 05:52 PM   #206
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

It's a matter of age, I suppose. In my experience days get waaaay shorter when you're getting on in years (nights, too, unfortunately)

Dr Who doesn't air in my country, so I never saw (or read) any. That would explain why we never met. I haven't read any Trek fanfic either yet. Is there an author you would recommend? I'm more into Highlander (series) fanfiction and started to write a story, quite a while ago. Alas, with my recent move and the trouble I had with my old landlady for the last 12 months, I didn't get on with it. I'm trying to introduce a new character and at the same time rewrite the last movie which was utter crap, though the basic idea was actually quite good. Classical case of either bad director or - more likely - too many co-producers/financers blackmailing him into inserting their weird ideas.

@ trekkiedane: LOL I love your wicked sense of humour
Old November 2 2012, 06:08 AM   #207
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I've always been Nerys Myk, even though people thought I was female. The name reflected my love of DS9 and Kira. Plus its a variation of my real name.

I found this place because someone on another board mentioned there was a poster called "Captain April" over here. I had written a story featuring April, that's why he brought it up. Hearing there was a site devoted to Star Trek was like "Sign me up!"
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 05:24 AM   #208
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
Out of curiosity how many other people here have changed their screenname over the years?
I was briefly Kegek. Otherwise no.

I don't know. I remember chosing this name to use as a game save for a Star Trek game (I think Starfleet Academy, do not quote me on that) and I've used it on the internet ever since, despite it being basically a randomly arbitrary sound that myself at half my current age thought sounded cool.

Someone who also who had no idea what a 'keg' was.
CaptainWacky wrote: View Post
HI GUYS.
Now that name takes me back.
Old November 3 2012, 06:36 AM   #209
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I changed my username, but it was a time where you had to delete your account and start a new one. I've been considering some other names I can use, but since I'm not all that creative, I've never changed it. Of course if anyone has any suggestions for a holiday name, that will be fun. I know that's coming up in a month.
Old November 3 2012, 07:19 AM   #210
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

I've been here nearly 12 years, dunno if that makes me an old-timer or not.