Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 25 2012, 09:00 AM   #31
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Re: John Simm wants to be the Master again

In keeping with the tailoring each Master to the current Doctor theme, I think Benedict Cumberbatch would be a marvellous Moriarty for Matt Smith. Not that I'm the first to think that or anything. Hope it happens.
Old October 25 2012, 10:30 AM   #32
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I just realized something. Anthony Ainley wanted to play a straight, darker version of The Master, too, and tried to do this in The Planet of Fire but JNT made him ham it up more. What is it about showrunners who want to make The Master all manic like against the wishes of the actors who want to play him straight?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 04:27 PM   #33
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

And speaking of Anthony Ainley, he stuck around as the Master from Baker to McCoy, so I'm not sure why there's a notion that the character must change with every Doctor.
Old October 25 2012, 04:41 PM   #34
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

^ Well, there isn't, except that John Simm strikes me as the perfect contemporary of Tennant to play 10's nemesis. He's the Anti-Dave. So it strikes me further that Beanaddict Crumblethatch would be the perfect contemporary of Matt's if Moffat was to make a similar decision.
Old October 26 2012, 02:15 AM   #35
DWF
Vice Admiral

I think Tony Curran would make a better Master for Smith's Doctor than Cumberbatch.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 02:16 PM   #36
Australis
Writer

I'd like to see a transition from one Mater to another, not off-camera. And I would like to see Simm's darker, more still take.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 02:51 PM   #37
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

DWF wrote: View Post
I really like John Simm's Master, but he was really Tennant's Master, I'd just as soon see a new Master for Matt Smith's Doctor.
See, I like having a continuity of Masters between the Doctors. It emphasizes his role as a separate character who can also get recast rather than just a mirror of the Doctor. Of course, he can be a mirror too, but I wouldn't mind at least one episode overlap.
Old October 26 2012, 05:05 PM   #38
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I have no difficulty with them re-casting Simm and the nature of the Master's role is that, like the Doctor, he can be reinvented. Having said that, it's been a long time (if ever) since any actor played the Master opposite two different Doctors (I believe Anthony Ainsley may have done so, no?) so it might be interesting to see how Simm's Master might react to a new Doctor, having only ever encountered Ten.
Old October 26 2012, 05:13 PM   #39
Saul
Rear Admiral

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
^ Well, there isn't, except that John Simm strikes me as the perfect contemporary of Tennant to play 10's nemesis. He's the Anti-Dave. So it strikes me further that Beanaddict Crumblethatch would be the perfect contemporary of Matt's if Moffat was to make a similar decision.
I agree with this. But I could also see Simm as a character that ties the continuity of the 10th and 11th Doctor's together in a nice way.

Hey, why not have both!
Old October 26 2012, 05:53 PM   #40
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^They could do something like what they did with Derek Jacobi as Yana- have Simm make an appearance and regenerate soon into the storyline.
Old October 26 2012, 06:43 PM   #41
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I think we should have an episode with Smith and Simm to see if they have chemistry before ditching him.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."

Last edited by Kelthaz; October 26 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 07:18 PM   #42
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if Simm came back and sparred with Smith's doctor too. Either way I think it's a given that the character will be back in some form
Old October 26 2012, 08:32 PM   #43
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I have no difficulty with them re-casting Simm and the nature of the Master's role is that, like the Doctor, he can be reinvented. Having said that, it's been a long time (if ever) since any actor played the Master opposite two different Doctors (I believe Anthony Ainsley may have done so, no?) so it might be interesting to see how Simm's Master might react to a new Doctor, having only ever encountered Ten.
Ainley started with Tom Baker and was still there in McCoy's last Story. So, he actually did 4 different Doctors, since Colin Baker worked with him in The Trial Season

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 08:44 PM   #44
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^I thought he might have appeared opposite Davison and Baker but hadn't realised he'd appeared alongside 4 Doctors. Thanks for clarifying. I guess this does show that there's no need for a new Master to appear opposite each new Doctor.
Old October 26 2012, 10:01 PM   #45
The Wormhole
Admiral

Technically, Ainley worked with six of the seven classic era Doctors, since he did have scenes with Troughton and Pertwee in The Five Doctors. He also had scenes with Hurndall as well, though I'm not sure of he counts.