Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 25 2012, 03:19 PM   #76
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Speculation: Must the villain be Gary Mitchell, or... ?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Four novels were written and planned for release in 2010, by authors who know the Trek universe backwards and have written fantastic Treks in the past. Yet they were cancelled, seemingly in favour of this. The nuTrek Expanded Universe has been such a disappointment.
Not cancelled. Placed on hiatus. Big difference.

The "Starfleet Academy" novels are prequels. Less likely to conflict with a new movie. The "ST Ongoing", by retelling TOS episodes, can also be more easily constrained.

The four authors might "know the Trek universe backwards", but they do not know Orci & Kurtzman's universe beyond one movie. Yet.

Once JJ's team is done with their movies, Pocket Books will be keen to recoup the costs of the four original novels they have already paid the authors to write. They may well require tweaking, and can then incorporate info from the latter movies. It's much like the situation with the second and third "Vulcan's Soul" novels, which went on hiatus for twelve months so that the new-to-canon Remans of "Nemesis" could be shoehorned seemlessly into the ongoing narrative.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 03:34 PM   #77
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Heh. "Shoehorned seamlessly" is my new favorite oxymoron.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 04:06 PM   #78
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
It was already asked and answered a few months ago. He did an interview where he was pushed into saying the comics were canon, and then he immediately retracted it in the comments.

I've only read the first two issues of Star Trek Ongoing, and I've only read the first two Starfleet Academy books. They were not very good. And I'm talking about the stories themselves, ignoring the myriad continuity errors and ignorance of Trek lore (comm badges and replicators in the 23rd century? Rape gangs roaming San Fransisco?) If this is supposed to be nuTrek's canon and somehow important (although I fail to see how being called "canon" gives them any more worth than the hundreds of non-canon Trek comics and books out there), then IMO those in charge haven't a clue what they're doing. Four novels were written and planned for release in 2010, by authors who know the Trek universe backwards and have written fantastic Treks in the past. Yet they were cancelled, seemingly in favour of this. The nuTrek Expanded Universe has been such a disappointment.

Rant over.
+1