RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,170
Posts: 5,435,195
Members: 24,939
Currently online: 451
Newest member: katlynwomack

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 24 2012, 06:18 PM   #5341
The Lensman
Fleet Captain
 
The Lensman's Avatar
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
The Deadshirt wrote: View Post
Want him to look contemporary? Then you're going to have to take a good look out the window, and see how things are done in 2012. It's time to ditch the horse and buggy and get an automobile. Most people get their news off the internet, not from newspapers. So I hope DC has figured this out and doesn't go back.
You mean news off the internet that is written by reporters who are supported by either newspapers or news websites like Huffington Post?
Remember "Monitor Duty" in the JLA? That's from as far back as the 70's so the reporter angle was pretty much obsolete then.

As I said, Clark Kent being a reporter was for a very specific reason. And that reason was because he lived in a world with limited access to information. He didn't have telescopic vision, super hearing, couldn't fly and dealt mainly with events in a localized area and so the local information hub was a newspaper.

Clark Kent does not need to be a "reporter" anymore since he only needed to be one in order to be near the radio's and phones when emergencies came in. Considering that people have a one stop device that has camera, video, phone, and messaging capabilities, and considering how many emergency events are reported by regular folks, it makes sense for Clark to be manning a desk where this information comes in. In other words...the low tech version of Monitor Duty, except it's more difficult to get away than the JLA version of it....because the latter is dedicated to seeing and responding.

In the 21st century, especially in the tech advanced 21st century of the DCU, he can get information much more efficiently. Monitor Duty being a more efficient way since it monitors transmissions from a host of sources, and not just news agencies. I'm sure the JLA has some coordination with government agencies and their information networks as well. Super hearing would be another way, since we know he can hear certain frequencies. But he doesn't need to be near the phones and radios, or the gig that allows him to be near those.

Clark Kent is a reporter for nostalgia's sake. Because he's always been one and that's what people are used to. It's also a perfect example of why he's considered stale by alot of people. It's time to bring the "Man Of Tomorrow" into the world of today.
__________________
"Everyone Booze Up And Riot!!"
.....Milk and Cheese.....
The Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 06:36 PM   #5342
timothy
Rear Admiral
 
timothy's Avatar
 
Location: chester's mill, maine
View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Just read justice league dark, I vampire graphics and love this story arc. Now does lost legion tie into or are they just crossing over with the teen titans which I love
__________________
I am currently reading: poltergeist by kat richardson

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 08:06 PM   #5343
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

The Deadshirt wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
The Deadshirt wrote: View Post
Want him to look contemporary? Then you're going to have to take a good look out the window, and see how things are done in 2012. It's time to ditch the horse and buggy and get an automobile. Most people get their news off the internet, not from newspapers. So I hope DC has figured this out and doesn't go back.
You mean news off the internet that is written by reporters who are supported by either newspapers or news websites like Huffington Post?
Remember "Monitor Duty" in the JLA? That's from as far back as the 70's so the reporter angle was pretty much obsolete then.
I was more addressing your point about where PEOPLE get their news from. Not Kent.


As I said, Clark Kent being a reporter was for a very specific reason. And that reason was because he lived in a world with limited access to information. He didn't have telescopic vision, super hearing, couldn't fly and dealt mainly with events in a localized area and so the local information hub was a newspaper.
That's the 1930s Superman.


Clark Kent does not need to be a "reporter" anymore since he only needed to be one in order to be near the radio's and phones when emergencies came in. Considering that people have a one stop device that has camera, video, phone, and messaging capabilities, and considering how many emergency events are reported by regular folks, it makes sense for Clark to be manning a desk where this information comes in. In other words...the low tech version of Monitor Duty, except it's more difficult to get away than the JLA version of it....because the latter is dedicated to seeing and responding.
The end of your logic is: Why does Clark Kent even need to exist? Clark could just sit in his spandex all day listening for trouble.



Clark Kent is a reporter for nostalgia's sake. Because he's always been one and that's what people are used to. It's also a perfect example of why he's considered stale by alot of people. It's time to bring the "Man Of Tomorrow" into the world of today.
Him being a reporter, also allows him to be a hero in a different way. It also humanizes him. It gets him involved with people in a different way than saving them from Trouble of the Week.

It also allows a writer to have a way to tell MORE stories than Clark in Spandex swooping in because he heard Brainiac was robbing a bank.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 08:30 PM   #5344
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

^ But the internet connects people too. I think the fact that he is a blogger allows him to be involved globally not just with people in Metropolis, but people all over the world with net access.

the G-man wrote: View Post
However, as mentioned before, there was no reason he couldn't have been a blogger for the Daily Planet and make the Planet a print and web presence. That would have modernized his job but still allowed for the DP supporting cast, etc.
Most of these bloggers attached to newspapers are responsible for editorial commentaries or being news aggregates that just repost material from other places. I think DC wants him to be relevant, but still do the investigative journalism angle.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 04:33 AM   #5345
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

When I started reading comics, Clark was a news anchor, not a reporter. It was Byrne who retroed him back to being a reporter.

It would be a good decision I think though to make the Planet an online paper. Bruce Wayne could buy the name from Edge and our supporting cast can just change offices to the new dailyplanet.com.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 09:47 AM   #5346
The Lensman
Fleet Captain
 
The Lensman's Avatar
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
The Deadshirt wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

You mean news off the internet that is written by reporters who are supported by either newspapers or news websites like Huffington Post?
Remember "Monitor Duty" in the JLA? That's from as far back as the 70's so the reporter angle was pretty much obsolete then.
I was more addressing your point about where PEOPLE get their news from. Not Kent.
Yeah, I did jump tracks there. Sorry Prof.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
That's the 1930s Superman.
Well, that's sorta the point, IMO. It's a carryover that's not really needed. Like how people point to Trek and bemoan the lack of a tech update relative to the real world because people are used to certain things. Communicators having less functions than a cell phone as an example.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
The end of your logic is: Why does Clark Kent even need to exist? Clark could just sit in his spandex all day listening for trouble.
It does end up there, yeah. Personally, I'd be okay with that. The "not needing to be Clark" part, obviously the sitting part would be a bit of a bore.

Or he could pretty much wander freely as Clark without really ever having to worry about having his identity exposed.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
It also allows a writer to have a way to tell MORE stories than Clark in Spandex swooping in because he heard Brainiac was robbing a bank.
It does, but it's not the only way to tell those stories. In an era when technology gives everyone the ability to get themselves out there, the reporter angle just feels dated to me, though YMMV.


I am waiting for the softback of Action to come out, so how well do they represent modern tech and social media in the nu52? You'd think some heroes would blog about the whole hero gig, or have a website. Or do the Tarantula thing and write a book about the hero community and experience.
__________________
"Everyone Booze Up And Riot!!"
.....Milk and Cheese.....
The Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 09:49 AM   #5347
The Lensman
Fleet Captain
 
The Lensman's Avatar
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

theenglish wrote: View Post
When I started reading comics, Clark was a news anchor, not a reporter. It was Byrne who retroed him back to being a reporter.

It would be a good decision I think though to make the Planet an online paper. Bruce Wayne could buy the name from Edge and our supporting cast can just change offices to the new dailyplanet.com.
Was it Byrne? Clark was an anchor when I started reading comics too....but I thought he'd gone back to being a newspaper reporter before Byrne.
__________________
"Everyone Booze Up And Riot!!"
.....Milk and Cheese.....
The Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 12:09 PM   #5348
WalkerBait
Trekker4747
 
WalkerBait's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Most people get their news off the internet, not from newspapers.
Which is immensely sad, really. But most legit internet news sites still have ties to real-world newspapers and journalists.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the issue and find it an interesting path to go with things. Great art in the book, I could have done without some of the expository caption boxes though. I mean, thanks book, but not only have these characters and such existed for nearly 70 years this particular take on them has lasted for one year. So we don't need you telling us who Jimmy Olson, Perry White or what any of these other people and things are.

But found the book to be very good and am interested to see where it heads down the road in this particular run. Really liked the art in it more than I thought I would from the preview too.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
WalkerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 03:53 PM   #5349
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
^ But the internet connects people too. I think the fact that he is a blogger allows him to be involved globally not just with people in Metropolis, but people all over the world with net access.

the G-man wrote: View Post
However, as mentioned before, there was no reason he couldn't have been a blogger for the Daily Planet and make the Planet a print and web presence. That would have modernized his job but still allowed for the DP supporting cast, etc.
Most of these bloggers attached to newspapers are responsible for editorial commentaries or being news aggregates that just repost material from other places. I think DC wants him to be relevant, but still do the investigative journalism angle.
I don't mind that he would be writing online, that makes sense to me. But when I think of blogging, I don't think of journalism. I think of some guy writing about Battlestar Galactica, why the old one was superior or political tin hat diatribes.

Is this new Clark as "blogger" more like Drudge, sans a particular political agenda?
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 09:19 PM   #5350
Derishton
Vice Admiral
 
Derishton's Avatar
 
Location: Nova Scotia (Derishton)
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Demon Knights 13: Another fun issue, including a good Vandal Savage scene. Justice League Dark: Good but not great, and the idea that I have to read the finale in an annual makes me feel 13 again; I have a feeling this issue is really just advancing things for some fireworks in the annual. Batman Inc 4: Textbook method of turning a basic superhero plot into something fantastic. The final scene with Damian is (or would be) heartbreaking (if we didn't know this is now officially "before" the new 52, so it all works out).
__________________
I want to be sedated.
Derishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 11:56 PM   #5351
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I forgot to give my thoughts on Wonder Woman #13 from last week. I thought it was another terrific issue. Azzy continues building his story and the art is terrific (I think there was a guest artist last week, Chiang just did the cover). The interaction between the Greek Gods is just fascinating.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 04:04 AM   #5352
WalkerBait
Trekker4747
 
WalkerBait's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Interesting interpretation on the scene in Superman in The Daily Planet. When Clark goes on his little rant about the media and the position The Daily Planet is taking he does it after taking off his glasses. Suggesting that isn't "Clark" the character in the book going of on this rant "for show" but Superman espousing his beliefs on the status of media, playing the "role" of Superman in trying to be a symbol of inspiration for people.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
WalkerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 04:09 AM   #5353
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

What? Clark took off his glasses... and nobody recognized him?
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 04:43 AM   #5354
WalkerBait
Trekker4747
 
WalkerBait's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Yeah, in the middle of his anti-media rant before quitting/leaving the Daily Planet and trying to inspire others to go with him. He was in a sweatshirt/hoodie and sweatpants at the time and maybe not with a Superman hairstyle, I dunno. "People don't see him as Superman" is a trope we've had to deal with this character on for 80 years. For those curious, when he leaves The Planet his speech only inspires Cat Grant to leave with him. Lois apparently having her journalistic integrity surgically removed is more concerned about bullshit with the newscast and texting her beau.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
WalkerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 04:52 AM   #5355
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

He was shown in that exact same style back in "Superman #1" if one recalls as well and in "Action Comics" as well. Bleeding Cool has called the this his "Jerry McGuire" moment. Heh.

Batman Incorporated #4: This was just a brilliant issue. So far the best of the second volume in my opinion. We finally get confirmation of the identity of Wingman which was set up all the way back at the conclusion of Morrison's "Batman and Robin" run. We also get our first real hint at who Talia's bodyguard is, which some of us have speculated on earlier in the thread. Just masterful story telling. Chris Burnham's art is sensational as well. He is the perfect compliment to Morrison as Quietly is as well. I can not wait for next issue...as we return to Future Damian!!!
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; October 26 2012 at 05:13 AM.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, comic books, comics, dc comics, dc's new 52, justice league, superman, wonder woman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.