Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 16 2012, 02:52 AM   #1261
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Finally finished MU: Glass Empires and am halfway through MU: Shards and Shadows. I was able to score a copy of Cold Equations: Book 1 at NYCC, and am now hoping to finally get to the Post-Nemesis books!
Old October 16 2012, 07:46 AM   #1262
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

I am almost exactly halfway through "To Reign in Hell" by Greg Cox and enjoying it immensely. I also read a Hastings Center Report entitled "A Not-so-new Eugenics" by Robert Sparrow (2011) and several other articles then met with a discussion group. I recently acquired "Netocracy" by Bard & Soderquist (2002) and although I had not previously heard of the book I recently acquired "Endgame" (Volumes One and Two) by Derrick Jensen (2006) which shall be a challenging read. If I am discussing wish lists, then it would be nice to read "Principles of Psychology" by James or the works of Emerson. And, alas, "Destiny" is still in my future.

Last edited by Endgame; October 16 2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling of name and article title
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 04:51 PM   #1263
Reanok
Commodore

I've been reading some of the older Startrek novels Ice Trap by L.AGraf Great book I really liked that you really had a strange alien Artic typr planet and the Kitka were interesting characters in this novel. I liked the Kirk and McCoy being on a futuristic submarine .And Chekov and Uhura and the security officers being in danger.I also like the TNG book Into the Nebula by Gene Deweese. I like reading a novel that features the TNG crew and having Data have an important role in the story.Nice to read novel where he's includede again.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 07:24 PM   #1264
Sho
Fleet Captain

I've been somewhat slacking on my reading lately. Well, not slacking as much as felt less driven and somewhat meandering. I continued with my Vanguard reading, where I am currently in the middle of What Judgements Come. I also read Redshirts (verdict: meh - not much there beyond the premise) and The Casual Vacancy, which is the new Rowling novel.

I was curious whether I'd like her writing style in a book that I'm less prejudiced against than with Harry Potter (I'm not big on fantasy, and when I make an exception it's not for something quite as sweet and magical). Turns out that I think yes, she is a competent writer, but her style is sort of at odds with what she was trying to accomplish topically in the book, so I didn't enjoy it a whole lot.

Right now I'm considering taking some time off from Judgements to insert my freshly-purchased copy of Only Superhuman into the schedule, since there's always some extra "new release" thrill with a book that's just come out. This one is very interesting to me since I enjoy hard-scifi but historically don't really go for superhero fiction, so I'm curious how this approach will go over with me.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 10:52 PM   #1265
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I've been re-reading the Star Wars: X-wing novels for the first time since the first set of novels were being published in the '90s. I'm currently up to The Bacta War, the fourth novel in the series and the last one prior to the introduction of Wraith Squadron.

With today's release of Only Superhuman, however, it's time for a short break.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 06:38 AM   #1266
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Currently re-reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. I found a hardcover copy in nice condition at a used bookstore not too long ago, which was a joy.

Next up I'm going to be reading Rowling's new book The Casual Vacancy and Stuart McLean's Revenge of The Vinyl Cafe. After that I'm not sure. I've started rewatching DS9 for the first time in a long while, so that probably means that before too long I'll be catching up with my Trek books. I have a LOT of catching up to do.
Old October 17 2012, 11:23 AM   #1267
Fer
Commander

Finished You Are Not So Smart. I'm reading a little slower than normal due to my spending so much time moving, so I'm probably not going to meet my goal of 52 books this year. Oh well.

Today I'll be starting Brinkmanship. Up on deck is the novelization of Revenge of the Sith.
Old October 17 2012, 11:44 PM   #1268
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Currently reading Star Wars: Rogue Planet, which I found only a few weeks ago (hence the big jump back in the timeline).

NEXT: Continuing my ST reading with a re-read of Serpents Among The Ruins, one of the best Star Trek books out there!
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 09:30 PM   #1269
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide last night. It's good and I enjoyed, just not as much as Beyer's previous Voyager novels.

I'm now reading Psych: The Call of the Mild.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 01:11 AM   #1270
indianatrekker26
Captain

8 chapters to go, before i finish the epic Destiny trilogy. This is so much better than when i read it the first time. Then it's on to A Singular Destiny. And every book after, in release date order. I've been playing catchup.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 09:17 PM   #1271
Markonian
Captain

Currenly reading:
Dracula by Bram Stoker, Irish novelist
and
Auf zwei Planeten by Kurt Laßwitz, German novelist.

I am eagerly looking forward to the download of The Persistence of Memory.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 10:39 PM   #1272
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

After two months of train travel across Asia and Europe, I'm back in North America!

I've just posted my review for Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer.

Books read on my trip:

Your Republic is Calling You by Young-ha Kim
Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer
Ghost Train to the Eastern Star by Paul Theroux
Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship by Una McCormack
Star Trek: Vanguard: In Tempest's Wake by Dayton Ward
Star Trek: Federation by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
Anathem by Neal Stephenson
Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Currently reading:

Star Trek: In the Name of Honor by Dayton Ward
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Eagerly awaiting:

Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack

It's good to be back!!!
Old October 21 2012, 11:09 PM   #1273
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Onto the New Frontier Mirror Universe offering, which is pretty good so far. Though, it's been a long time since I read an NF story. (Since the first 4 came out, basically.)

I've really been enjoying the Mirror Universe so far, it's been fairly strong all around. I really enjoyed KRAD's Voyager story. Can't believe I'm 60% through the whole thing!
Old October 23 2012, 11:41 PM   #1274
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Currently going through Serpents Among The Ruins and loving every page of it!

NEXT: Brinkmanship, then back to chronology with Day Of The Vipers. Lately, I've had this nagging temptation to skip directly to the DS9 relaunch, though. Not sure why...
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 04:01 AM   #1275
JD
Admiral

Started reading Work is Hard, Greg Cox's Pakled story in ST: Seven Deadly Sins. I'm not real far into it, but it's been pretty good so far. It's nice to get a TNG story set during the series with everybody still around.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote