Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 5 2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Ben Sisko
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Apocalypse Rising question

LS31 wrote: View Post
Just finished watching Apocalypse Rising from the 5th season and something bothered me about the entire plot.

It's the ep where Sisko, Odo, O'Brien and Worf go undercover as Klingons to uncover the Changeling.

Anyways...Sisko, Odo and O'Brien are all disguised as Klingons. Yet Worf isn't disguised at all. How does it make any sense to send one of the most well-known Klingons on this mission? Why didn't anyone notice him as being Worf? Why would Changeling-Martok be able to recognize Sisko as a Klingon but not an undisguised Worf?

Am I missing something here?
Like Burke and Samno said: "They all look alike."
Ben Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 09:06 PM   #17
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Even people without skin conditions can develop one especially if they've covered in glue and latex for hours at a time day after day. The actor who played Rev Bem on Andromeda had to quit the show because his skin couldn't handle the make up any longer. Kes grew longer hair so Jennifer Lein could stop wearing the ears because her skin became to sensitive to the glue. If you have a skin condition of some kind to begin with you might not even be able to handle it in the first place.
And let's not forget Virginia Hey as Zhaan on Farscape, and that was just paint, no latex or glue, because she shaved her head and eyebrows for the part

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 09:25 PM   #18
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Even people without skin conditions can develop one especially if they've covered in glue and latex for hours at a time day after day. The actor who played Rev Bem on Andromeda had to quit the show because his skin couldn't handle the make up any longer. Kes grew longer hair so Jennifer Lein could stop wearing the ears because her skin became to sensitive to the glue.
IIRC, this is also why Terry Farrell didn't use the original Trill makeup as shown on TNG. She was allergic to it, I think.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 01:22 AM   #19
Gul Bones
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Even people without skin conditions can develop one especially if they've covered in glue and latex for hours at a time day after day. The actor who played Rev Bem on Andromeda had to quit the show because his skin couldn't handle the make up any longer. Kes grew longer hair so Jennifer Lein could stop wearing the ears because her skin became to sensitive to the glue.
IIRC, this is also why Terry Farrell didn't use the original Trill makeup as shown on TNG. She was allergic to it, I think.
I remember reading that the reason for not using the same makeup was to show off Farrell’s looks. Not that I’m saying it’s the entire reason but I assume a big part of her getting the role was her model looks and a bit of eye candy for the male demographic. Obviously the studio would have a big say in who gets the parts and Terry would be very easy to market as that ‘hot girl from the new Star Trek show'.
Gul Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 06:12 AM   #20
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

The makeup probably had nothing to do with Dax not going. The writers probably picked Miles over Dax because through him they could provide more lighter moments and have someone who was truly uncomfortable with the situation. In-universe Dax makes more sense, but for entertainment value Miles is the better option.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 11:19 PM   #21
Mr_Homn
Captain

yeah I thought it was really dumb that Worf was not recognized but Sisko was.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Yep. They changed his forehead ridge (which is a family trait in Klingons) among other parts of his face.
No they didn't. I just looked at his ridges in apocalypse rising and compared them to a normal episode, they are completely identical.

Ridges or not, Worf's face is very easy to see, and Gowron and Changling-Martok both know him. Gowron knows him very well, and I'm sure he has some notoriety in the Empire... at least enough to warrant a line or two in the script about the dangers of worf being recognized. Realistically the characters should be worried about that. I think the writers were counting on us forgetting or something.

Last edited by Mr_Homn; October 10 2012 at 02:18 AM.
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 02:11 AM   #22
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Were there any female klingons amongst the candidates partying in the hall? I cant recall seeing any so if there were female klingons there they must have been few in number.

Maybe the reason they took O'Brien rather than Dax was because being female she was more likely to attract unwanted attention form the many increasingly drunken males intent on showcasing their masculinity. Not that she wouldnt have been able to handle it but it would have made setting up the relays unnoticed quite difficult.
Old October 13 2012, 02:47 AM   #23
Mr_Homn
Captain

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
Were there any female klingons amongst the candidates partying in the hall? I cant recall seeing any so if there were female klingons there they must have been few in number.
Well there was at least one female. She received a medal from Gowron.
Old October 15 2012, 04:35 PM   #24
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Merlanthe wrote: View Post

Maybe the reason they took O'Brien rather than Dax was because being female she was more likely to attract unwanted attention form the many increasingly drunken males intent on showcasing their masculinity. Not that she wouldnt have been able to handle it but it would have made setting up the relays unnoticed quite difficult.
On the other hand, she could be used as a distraction, if she was kept on the other side of the room, to keep everyone from looking where the Relays were being placed

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 04:45 PM   #25
Timo
Admiral

Hmm. A few Worf foreheads from DS9....

"Way of the Warrior":

"Apocalypse Rising", before:

"Apocalypse Rising", after:

The ridges are the same, but the beard is gone and the hair is worn differently. Perhaps the heroes felt that it would prove advantageous at some point for Worf to reveal himself and appeal to the Klingons? That wouldn't be easy if Worf wore a false face.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 01:37 AM   #26
Worf'sParmach
Commander

I'm willing to say that with the Klingon Empire consisting of so many people and stretching across many planets, the odds of the average guy picking out Worf was pretty much zero. It's not like he's got a reality show, you know? They do make mention of him steering clear of Gowron, if I recall, and that was probably enough. Even he probably wouldn't recognize him outside of his "child's uniform."

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
I always thought it was silly that they sent O'Brien on the mission, especially in make-up that made him look like Kletus the Slack-Jawed Klingon, when it would have made much more sense to send Jadzia, who already knows a ton about Klingon culture and could have done the simple job of setting up the laser-beam-thingies just as well as O'Brien could.
"Kletus the Slack-Jawed Klingon,"

As for Jadzia in Klingon make-up... that would have made more sense and would have been totally awesome to see, but I doubt Worf would have been able to handle that. They would have never left the metal slab in his quarters.

(and yes, I know we are still a few episodes away from them being together at this point, but seeing her as a Klingon woman would have definitely sped things up.)