MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old October 15 2012, 06:53 PM   #31
controlfreak
Commander

Re: Has JJ Abrams ever watched any star trek episodes or movie?s

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Abrams is guilty of nothing worse than knowing how to make a successful movie.
QFFT
Old October 15 2012, 07:03 PM   #32
drumvan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

if j.j. wants to make "nu-trek" more like star wars eps 3,4,5 & 6, i'm fine with that if it means star trek will remain relevant to the next generation of movie goers. episodes 1 & 2, no thank you.
Old October 15 2012, 08:21 PM   #33
controlfreak
Commander

He's not doing any of that.
Old October 15 2012, 08:31 PM   #34
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Dukhat wrote: View Post
If Abrams looooooves Star Wars so much, and purportedly haaaaates Star Trek, then why did he make a Star Trek movie? And a hugely successful one at that?
Probably because Lucas still has some pretty tight reigns on Star Wars, whereas Star Trek was up for grabs.

I think the new movie definitely takes a lot of cues from Star Wars, but I don't think that has any bearing on its quality.
Old October 15 2012, 08:50 PM   #35
Gojira
Commodore

I think the rivalry Star Trek fans vs Star Wars fans is vastly overrated. I don't think I have ever met a person who actually hated one over the other. I know people who like one franchise better than the other, but hating one of them? I haven't seen that behavior before.

I don't care if Abrams hates Star Trek or not. He has made an excellent movie and that is all that really matters.
Old October 15 2012, 09:13 PM   #36
controlfreak
Commander

He doesn't "hate" Star Trek. I like Star Wars and Star Trek. I never believed that being a fan of one or the other had to be mutually exclusive. I am an adult.
Old October 15 2012, 09:41 PM   #37
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Gojira wrote: View Post
.... I know people who like one franchise better than the other, but hating one of them? I haven't seen that behavior before....
I HAVE seen people exhibiting that behavior, but only on TV sitcoms and goofy commercials....

I know that there are some people out there who exhibit passionate love for one franchise and exhibit venomous hate for the other, but -as controlfreak stated- the majority of us behave more like adults.
Old October 15 2012, 10:00 PM   #38
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Oh yeah? Well, my SSD can beat up your Galaxy-class starship! Nyaah nyaah!
Old October 15 2012, 10:18 PM   #39
Gojira
Commodore

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
.... I know people who like one franchise better than the other, but hating one of them? I haven't seen that behavior before....
I HAVE seen people exhibiting that behavior, but only on TV sitcoms and goofy commercials....

I know that there are some people out there who exhibit passionate love for one franchise and exhibit venomous hate for the other, but -as controlfreak stated- the majority of us behave more like adults.
Yeah, I have seen that type of behavior in the movies, such as fan boys to be specific. And although I am sure these types of fans are out there they are in a minority.

There are some science fiction franchises I don't care about, and instead of bashing the fans that do like those franchises I just don't say a word.
Old October 15 2012, 10:54 PM   #40
Dukhat
Commodore

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Probably because Lucas still has some pretty tight reigns on Star Wars, whereas Star Trek was up for grabs.
I wasn't implying that Abrams wanted to make a Star Wars movie and used Star Trek '09 as an excuse to make it, but I don't think you were implying that either.

However, there are some people who actually believe this.
Old October 16 2012, 06:12 AM   #41
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Yeah, that's kind of a weird way to phrase it or think about it.

I think the most probable thing is that they were fine with Star Trek, but they wanted to make it have more potential to grab audiences. The last few Trek movies really sucked at that, and overall the movies were never really blockbusters. Star Trek was badly hurt, and at that point it doesn't hurt to take a look at other successful space dramas to take a cue from them.

Because if they're going to make movies, they need to not make extended episodes like Insurrection. They need to ditch the TV show's talky parts, moral dilemmas, and slowness, and just focus on the whiz-bang action and character quips. That's just what Star Wars happens to be, and it works. I'm not sure there's any shame in doing that.
Old October 16 2012, 06:54 AM   #42
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post

Because if they're going to make movies, they need to not make extended episodes like Insurrection. They need to ditch the TV show's talky parts, moral dilemmas, and slowness, and just focus on the whiz-bang action and character quips. That's just what Star Wars happens to be, and it works. I'm not sure there's any shame in doing that.
I agree. And you know it's not like character is sacrificed.. we already know their characters. We know when Spock speaks of his mother what that means, we know how much Kirk and Spock's friendship will mean to both of them so their initial clashing is poignant. These aren't flat dull characters whose fleshing out was sacrificed for action. These are already fully developed characters and every character point that takes place in the current of the swashbuckling story resonates and adds to what we already know.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 23 2012, 06:48 PM   #43
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

drumvan wrote: View Post
if j.j. wants to make "nu-trek" more like star wars eps 3,4,5 & 6, i'm fine with that if it means star trek will remain relevant to the next generation of movie goers. episodes 1 & 2, no thank you.
Abrams couldn't make a movie as bad as the SW prequels if he tried and Paramount wouldn't let him. The badness of the prequels is an unusual case that happened only because Lucasfilm is still a privately held company, with just one guy in charge, which allowed Lucas to blow millions on utter dreck, without any adult supervision. All the other Hollywood studios are public corporations, and nobody is allowed to run totally amuk.

A director working for a corporation with shareholders to answer to would have been slapped into shape by the bean counters before that happened. Bean counters may push movies to be unimaginative and cookie-cutter, but even a cookie-cutter mold will impose a certain level of competence in terms of plot and character. Even the most derivative Hollywood dreck is not total inept nonsense. Only Lucas is allowed to make movies that bad.

(However, with adult supervision, Lucasfilm can produce some reasonably good stuff, which is the case now with The Clone Wars. Obviously Dave Filoni has figured out how to control his boss and stop him from inflicting more garbage on the cosmos, hooray for him! )
Old October 23 2012, 06:54 PM   #44
John Mason
Lieutenant Commander

Ask him...
Old October 24 2012, 05:06 AM   #45
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Even the most derivative Hollywood dreck is not total inept nonsense.
Sometimes it is. That's what makes it dreck.
Closed Thread