Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 22 2012, 09:53 PM   #91
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Who would you like to portray the 12th doctor?

Paul Bettany. While he's a "name" in the industry, I would argue that he's not a "big" name... He's not done well as the lead in his own vehicles, box-office wise, but I think he could carry the part of the Doctor...
Old October 22 2012, 09:55 PM   #92
John Mason
Lieutenant Commander

Shane MacGowan
John Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 01:31 AM   #93
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

While I've enjoyed the young Doctors of late (and I think Smith feels like one of the oldest ones, strangely enough), I think an old Doctor was so much a part of the show's feel for its first 11 seasons and I'd like for them to bring that back at some point. I'd vote for either Bill Nighy or John Hurt.

I'm also a big enough fan of Tom Hiddleston & Linus Roache that I'd watch them in just about anything. (I've got a huge man-crush on Michael Cutter, as you might guess from my av.)

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Judge Death wrote: View Post
If a previous actor came back to the role I think he'd have to play it in a completely different way, which would probably negate the point of bringing him back!
Mark Gatiss has made the serious argument that Peter Davison should return to the role now, because he'd approach it in a completely different manner.
I definately think Davison is better now in the audios then he was back then.
Old October 23 2012, 01:32 AM   #94
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

John Mason wrote: View Post
Shane MacGowan
Instead of "Doctor Who?" the question will be "Doctor, What?".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 02:04 AM   #95
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Black Lantern wrote: View Post
Tennant would never return outside of a special episode. Ok, maybe he will return after the 50th anniversary, but only for annother special. I hate this idea and I want to cut it into little pices with a small rusty spoon! :P

However if they had to fo this, It should be either with McGann since he only had one adventure, or Eccleston because he only had one series.
Kai wasn't proposing Tennant return as Doctor 12. Kai memerely said he found a post about that on the wider Internet, and thought it would be a great way to bring McGann back, that was the whole point of his post.
Well, yeah, kind of. I actually just ran into that Facebook page and was confronted with the general idea of the Doctor regenerating into a form he already had for the first time. I didn't actually try to advocate anybody in that previous post, but merely thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss. As in, would you like to see this, and if so, with whom, and what were the pros and cons to that. I'm glad there was some of that, but not quite as much as I'd expected.

I do, however, like the idea of McGann returning through this particular backdoor. His audio adventures are fantastic and I really like his Doctor. It is a real shame he only got the one film (and that's not by choice, as was the case with Eccleston' only one series).

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 08:40 AM   #96
Starkers
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I too, would lie to see an older Doctor in the future, but, personal anecdotal experiene has shown me that there are quite a few fans of NuWho who can't get into the Classic Who, "Because the Doctor is so old". So, I'm not sure if the General audience for NuWho would accept an older Doctor, we may be stuck with 20-something or early 30-something Doctors for some time to come

(Again, this is anecdotal, not meant to be preseted as fact, so, it may be that my personal experiene doesn't translate to the General Audience)
Well Eccleston was over 40, and Tennant was, I think, 37 when he left the role so I think people would be fine with another Doctor around that kind of age--and really mid 30s to early 40s would seem to be an optimal age for the role anyway if you look over time.

marillion wrote: View Post
Paul Bettany. While he's a "name" in the industry, I would argue that he's not a "big" name... He's not done well as the lead in his own vehicles, box-office wise, but I think he could carry the part of the Doctor...
I think Bettany could be a great Doctor, but having listened to him interviewed on the Kermode/Mayo show the other week it's clear that, a bit like Eccleston, he is an ac-tor, and he has no interest in doing anything big budget (not that Who is big budget) and has basically walked away from blockbusters to concentrate on indie films that appeal to him. Also he lives mostly in New York so whilst he might come over to the UK for short stints of fuilming, I'm not sure he'd want to leave/uproot his family for 9 months of the year, especially given his other half's an actress (Jennifer Connolly)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 02:59 PM   #97
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^And given that his other half's Jennifer Connolly. Who would want to leave her for 6 months of the year?!
Old October 23 2012, 02:59 PM   #98
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Actually, wasn't Tennant 39 when he left in 2010, now that I look him up on IMDB. Though he was only 34 when he started as the Doctor, and hat's what I was referring to, was age of casting, not necessarily age when they left the role. Eccelston, though, I didn't realize was as old as me (In fact, he's a month older), so thanks for pointing that out. I hope the younger crowd keeps that in mind if they do cast a bit older again. Couldn't believe when a couple 20 something folks, at different times, have both said Pertwee "Is so Old". Jeez folks, watch the character, yes, the face is a bit older, but, the character is an action Hero, just like 60+ year old Jean Luc Picard

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 03:25 PM   #99
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah, and though he's the youngest Smith actually acts a lot older and more cumudgenly than a lot of the 'older' Doctors!

Old October 23 2012, 08:21 PM   #100
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^And given that his other half's Jennifer Connolly. Who would want to leave her for 6 months of the year?!
I see her as VERY good companion material!
Old October 27 2012, 04:54 PM   #101
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I still think Jason Fleyming or Idris Elba are the way to go for the doctor, but Elba has expressed interest in becoming the next Bond, so I doubt he could be both the doctor and Bond. No one gets that lucky (if he gets at least one of the roles, I'm a happy man). It looks like there's more chance of Elba becoming Bond than the doctor, so my main vote might lean towards Fleyming at the momment.

Can't really think of another actor I'd like to become the doctor right now. Alot of people want the guy from Sherlock to become doctor #12, but I can't see why. I can't stand that guy, and the doctors are getting too young now. The next doctor will probablybe a teenager at this rate, I could actualy see that happening. For all we know, Andrew Garfeild might become the next doctor.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 06:59 PM   #102
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I still think Jason Fleyming or Idris Elba are the way to go for the doctor, but Elba has expressed interest in becoming the next Bond, so I doubt he could be both the doctor and Bond. No one gets that lucky (if he gets at least one of the roles, I'm a happy man). It looks like there's more chance of Elba becoming Bond than the doctor, so my main vote might lean towards Fleyming at the momment.

Can't really think of another actor I'd like to become the doctor right now. Alot of people want the guy from Sherlock to become doctor #12, but I can't see why. I can't stand that guy, and the doctors are getting too young now. The next doctor will probablybe a teenager at this rate, I could actualy see that happening. For all we know, Andrew Garfeild might become the next doctor.
Jason Flemyng is already 46, and it would be at least two years before we see the next Doctor, I personally wouldn't be against the idea, I think he could make a great Doctor

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 01:10 PM   #103
Starkers
Admiral

What Andrew 'only one year younger than Matt Smith' Garfield? Even if you gave him the role right now he'd still be an older Doctor than Smith was when he was cast, and the same age as Davison...

Old November 2 2012, 03:19 AM   #104
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^All this talk of Andrew Garfield reminds me of his Spider-Man co-star Rhys Ifans. I think Ifans would be a great Doctor.

I don't know that Patrick Stewart would be viable in the long term. However, I have an idea for him playing an unspecified distant future Doctor in some multi-Doctor story.

While I think a female Doctor *might* work, I certainly don't think Emma Watson is nearly old enough to be able to pull it off. You'd need someone with a bit more gravitas, like Rachel Weisz. (I can just picture the Doctor regenerating into a woman. River expresses an interest. The Doctor shoots back, "Hey, hey, slow down! This is all brand new. I don't think I'm ready to start test driving everything yet.")
Old November 2 2012, 04:32 PM   #105
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Ifans would be an interesting choice. I used to think he could only play the same role (Spike from Notting Hill) but his excellent performances as Peter Cook (who was once considered to play The Seventh Doctor) and Curt Connors have made me change my mind.