Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 22 2012, 03:20 PM   #196
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Gotham Central wrote: View Post
That said, I do find t odd that the comics are suggesting that only 18 months have passed. I wonder why they slowed down?
Probably they want to extend and capitalize on the drama related to Lori's pregnancy. And she cannot be pregnant for 18 months.

Great episode. IIRC however most people without meds and modern medicine die form an amuptation. Wasn't the mortality rate of such procedures during the civil war nearly 90% or even higher? So it seems unlikely to me that Herschel without antibiotics and only a belt to stop the bleeding would be able to live.

The execution of the prisoners was necessary. Rick saw the crazy guy was likely a murderer based on his behavior with the zombie's and had to rid the group of the hazards of keeping him around.

I was a little confused however why the young black kid ran? But in the end Rick has completed his transformation from reasonable nice guy to complete survivalist who will do anything to protect the group.
I was under the impression that one of the things that Carl came back with, in addition to bandages, was antibiotics.

As for why the kid ran, well he panicked for one. But, assuming they followed the same dynamic from the comics, the guy was also something of a follower who lost his bearing once his alpha was gone. Plus he figured, that Rick was going to kill him (not an unreasonable assumption given Rick's attitude at that point).

As for the ep, I LOVED it when the prisoners went all "prison riot" on the zombies...and it was totally ineffective...while Rick, Daryl and T-Dog just stood there shaking their heads.

These guys have come a long way.

Also it was an interesting twist to see the fate of some of the prisoners as civilization fell. It explains why that wing of the prison was much emptier.

As a side note, does anyone else think that from the outside, that place looks less like a penitentiary and more like fortified warehouses with fences? Its too bad that they could not have found some abandoned prison to use for the set. Prisons have more than chanlink fences...they have thick heavy walls, bullet proof glass and thick heavy doors.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 03:30 PM   #197
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I got a good laugh out of how they ignored Every. Single. Thing. Rick's group told them ("We know how to kill a man!"), and Rick's group just stood by watching them, rolling their eyes.
Yea, the whole concept that they were already dead kind of what swoosh over their heads at first.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 04:08 PM   #198
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I'm also wondering if there's significance to the fact that Hershel stopped breathing, apparently had no pulse, and had an ambiguous response to resuscitation... then suddenly revived on his own when he probably should not have. Remind you of anyone else we know? Is there a pattern here?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 04:28 PM   #199
sojourner
Admiral

The scene where Rick kills the lead prisoner is lifted straight from the comic if I recall. While taking the jail in the comic someone (I forget who, need to dig out my books) tries to "accidentally" kill Rick, to much the same results.
Old October 22 2012, 04:31 PM   #200
Scout101
Admiral

Knowing more about the HOW of the zombie-pocalypse could really help us answer some of that. We've seen a few examples now of wounds that ought to be fatal healing up and people survivng that really shouldn't.

We could talk better to this if we knew it was a super-soldier serum gone bad, which is supposed to repair damage, and DOES so, but the other side of that coin is that upon death, it reanimates it as well. Attempt at cure for cancer, AIDS, whatever, take your pick.

Under those sorts of circumstances, some of the rest of this can start to make more sense, but we don't have a place to start from. Could even justify the whole world being infected by saying that the testing went great, cured stuff, etc. and just no one in the test group had died, so they didn't see the 'other' result until they started putting it out there after years of testing. As long as no one in the test group had died, or died without sustaining brain trauma at least, you'd never know it had the other result, just better healing, cure for X, no side effects.

Without a little insight into the PRE end of the world, hard to say much about what's going on now...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 05:40 PM   #201
the G-man
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post

I think the hint is significantly obtuse, especially when you consider
Yep, that one poster was confused that you seemed to think your "spoiler" applied to a hypothetical future season that inherently diverges from the comics. Yep. quite a leap there. Good catch Sparky!

Congratulations. You really showed me. Well done.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 05:46 PM   #202
the G-man
Commodore

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
As a side note, does anyone else think that from the outside, that place looks less like a penitentiary and more like fortified warehouses with fences? Its too bad that they could not have found some abandoned prison to use for the set. Prisons have more than chainlink fences...they have thick heavy walls, bullet proof glass and thick heavy doors.

From the outside, more modern prisons actually look quite a bit like college campuses. For example, here's a pic of one of New York's newest max. security prisons. While it's not a close up, you can see it doesn't have the "fortified" look we associate with most movie prisons.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 07:06 PM   #203
sojourner
Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post

Congratulations. You really showed me. Well done.
Yep, we could have saved a bunch of posts if you had just copped to your "um" being nonsensical.
Old October 22 2012, 07:12 PM   #204
Rhaven
Captain

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Knowing more about the HOW of the zombie-pocalypse could really help us answer some of that. We've seen a few examples now of wounds that ought to be fatal healing up and people survivng that really shouldn't.

We could talk better to this if we knew it was a super-soldier serum gone bad, which is supposed to repair damage, and DOES so, but the other side of that coin is that upon death, it reanimates it as well. Attempt at cure for cancer, AIDS, whatever, take your pick.

Under those sorts of circumstances, some of the rest of this can start to make more sense, but we don't have a place to start from. Could even justify the whole world being infected by saying that the testing went great, cured stuff, etc. and just no one in the test group had died, so they didn't see the 'other' result until they started putting it out there after years of testing. As long as no one in the test group had died, or died without sustaining brain trauma at least, you'd never know it had the other result, just better healing, cure for X, no side effects.

Without a little insight into the PRE end of the world, hard to say much about what's going on now...
You know, I really like this idea. A super serum meant to cure all the ills, speed healing and make humanity better. Now look what it did, brought us down and dead.
Old October 22 2012, 07:20 PM   #205
sojourner
Admiral

AMC is back on DISH Networks.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/22/news...html?hpt=hp_t3
Old October 22 2012, 07:21 PM   #206
Worf2DS9
Writer

^^ That reminds me about how they explained the Reavers in Serenity. They introduced such-and-such into the water or atmosphere (or whatever, can't remember exactly) to make the population more docile and less prone to violence, but it backfired and people stopped doing anything and eventually died of starvation or whatever. The rest of the population had the opposite effect and became the violent, cannabalistic Reavers.

Moral of the story, don't help humanity be better. It only makes it worse.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 07:46 PM   #207
throwback
Captain

Is Herschel different from other people? And, if so, how is he different? He died and didn't turn into a zombie. He was able to be revived.

I am confused by what happened to Tiny Tim. I am not sure what I saw. I saw something attack him, Was it a hand, or was it a head? He is diagnosed as being bitten, so it would have to be a head. Yet, it didn't look like a head. Like I said, it's not clear to me what happen.

If computers don't work, if freezers don't work, then this implies that the electric grid is out. How does the group get water in the prison? Our water system is powered by electricity.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 07:57 PM   #208
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

The Zombie wiki has the Solanum explanation specifically related to decomposition.

Solanum

The toxicity level of undead flesh, combined with the 100% fatality rate for infected lifeforms significantly slows down the process of decomposition. This is because all lifeforms, even the bacteria that plays a role in natural decomposition is also killed when in contact with Solanum. This has the noteworthy side-effect of making many zombies practically odorless, due to the absence of the bacteria responsible for body odor and the traditional smell of rotting flesh. Zombies that have been undead for many months may start to show minor signs of topical decay, and the recently turned may smell because humans void their bowels after death. Other than that, zombies produce no odor.
Old October 22 2012, 07:59 PM   #209
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
If computers don't work, if freezers don't work, then this implies that the electric grid is out. How does the group get water in the prison? Our water system is powered by electricity.
Water towers use gravity to produce water pressure. But if they were empty, yes they'd be shit out of luck.
Old October 22 2012, 09:13 PM   #210
propita
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post

The Zombie wiki has the Solanum explanation specifically related to decomposition.

Solanum

The toxicity level of undead flesh, combined with the 100% fatality rate for infected lifeforms significantly slows down the process of decomposition. This is because all lifeforms, even the bacteria that plays a role in natural decomposition is also killed when in contact with Solanum. This has the noteworthy side-effect of making many zombies practically odorless, due to the absence of the bacteria responsible for body odor and the traditional smell of rotting flesh. Zombies that have been undead for many months may start to show minor signs of topical decay, and the recently turned may smell because humans void their bowels after death. Other than that, zombies produce no odor.
Then how does this explain Michonne having her two pets to keep the other zombies away? I thought they were basically covering her scent.

As for the episode...

Fantastic! From the prisoners' ignorance, to their rioting attack, to our guys' "didn't we just tell them...," to Rick settling things with their alpha, just great. I did feel a bit bad for the two left, but that's what happens.

I believe Tiny got majorly scratched by the arm bone of the zombie behind him after said zombie broke off his own hand to get rid of the handcuff. Better at the start than later. And I agree, the younger kid was a follower who freaked when his alpha got killed so quickly and gruesomely in front of him.

So now our group has a "safe" place, some food, a bit of medical supplies, and still haven't hit the armory. They could set themselves up okay.

I think I'd leave a few zombies in the outer yard for protection, removing the bodies to not give things away. Most passing humans would not think that the prison was safe if they see zombies wandering outside it.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote