Who would you like to portray the 12th doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind a different effnicy doctor either, just as long as we don't end up with the next doctor being more like Alli G than any previous doctors.

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I just got curious and googled "12th doctor", just to see what kind of ideas are out there (and there are plenty). Through that search, I found this quite minimalistic facebook page:

Facebook| David Tennant Should be the 12th Doctor

Now, aside from the personal likes or dislikes of Tennant's Doctor, would something like this even be possible? Could the Doctor regenerate into a body he's had before? If so, could this be a chance for Paul McGann to get another shot at this? Or shouldn't this even be considered? And if, which one would you like to see again? Which one would be conceivable (considering the actors do age)?

Let the discussion begin!

3. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Richard Ayoade would be an interesting pick. He can do silly, he can do the geek/chic thing, and most importantly he is a decent actor.

I also think Matthew Holness would be a cool pick...and no, I'm not trying to turn Dr. Who into a comedy show! I just like those guys, and I'd like to see them have a turn at doing something different for a change.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

If I remember corrrectly there was a rumor when Peter Davison was leaving that Jon Pertwee would come bck and play the sixth Doctor. So it's not a new idea but I don't see it happening this time though.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

There were rumours about Troughton returning...

Personally I think it'd be a trifle silly, but then this is Dr Who, and if Tennant (or whoever) wanted to be the Doctor that much he shouldn't have left the role!

If a previous actor came back to the role I think he'd have to play it in a completely different way, which would probably negate the point of bringing him back!

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I find it highly unlikely for Tennant to return beyond a reunion special here and there. He's had his fanboy moment in the spotlight and he's ready to move beyond Doctor Who.

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tennant would never return outside of a special episode. Ok, maybe he will return after the 50th anniversary, but only for annother special. I hate this idea and I want to cut it into little pices with a small rusty spoon! :P

However if they had to fo this, It should be either with McGann since he only had one adventure, or Eccleston because he only had one series.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Kai wasn't proposing Tennant return as Doctor 12. Kai memerely said he found a post about that on the wider Internet, and thought it would be a great way to bring McGann back, that was the whole point of his post.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If I remember correctly, that was one of Sidney Newman's ideas in 1985 during the cancellation crisis period for refreshing the series.

Mark Gatiss has made the serious argument that Peter Davison should return to the role now, because he'd approach it in a completely different manner.

I'd be interested in a fifty/sixtysomething Doctor because it would lead to different storytelling choices. The Doctor wouldn't be the action hero, basically, which would place the action lead burden on the much-younger companion character.

10. Sindatur

I too, would lie to see an older Doctor in the future, but, personal anecdotal experiene has shown me that there are quite a few fans of NuWho who can't get into the Classic Who, "Because the Doctor is so old". So, I'm not sure if the General audience for NuWho would accept an older Doctor, we may be stuck with 20-something or early 30-something Doctors for some time to come

(Again, this is anecdotal, not meant to be preseted as fact, so, it may be that my personal experiene doesn't translate to the General Audience)

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Paul Bettany. While he's a "name" in the industry, I would argue that he's not a "big" name... He's not done well as the lead in his own vehicles, box-office wise, but I think he could carry the part of the Doctor...

12. John Mason

John Mason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Shane MacGowan:cool:

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    While I've enjoyed the young Doctors of late (and I think Smith feels like one of the oldest ones, strangely enough), I think an old Doctor was so much a part of the show's feel for its first 11 seasons and I'd like for them to bring that back at some point. I'd vote for either Bill Nighy or John Hurt.

I'm also a big enough fan of Tom Hiddleston & Linus Roache that I'd watch them in just about anything. (I've got a huge man-crush on Michael Cutter, as you might guess from my av.)

I definately think Davison is better now in the audios then he was back then.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Instead of "Doctor Who?" the question will be "Doctor, What?".

15. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, yeah, kind of. I actually just ran into that Facebook page and was confronted with the general idea of the Doctor regenerating into a form he already had for the first time. I didn't actually try to advocate anybody in that previous post, but merely thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss. As in, would you like to see this, and if so, with whom, and what were the pros and cons to that. I'm glad there was some of that, but not quite as much as I'd expected.

I do, however, like the idea of McGann returning through this particular backdoor. His audio adventures are fantastic and I really like his Doctor. It is a real shame he only got the one film (and that's not by choice, as was the case with Eccleston' only one series).

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well Eccleston was over 40, and Tennant was, I think, 37 when he left the role so I think people would be fine with another Doctor around that kind of age--and really mid 30s to early 40s would seem to be an optimal age for the role anyway if you look over time.

I think Bettany could be a great Doctor, but having listened to him interviewed on the Kermode/Mayo show the other week it's clear that, a bit like Eccleston, he is an ac-tor, and he has no interest in doing anything big budget (not that Who is big budget) and has basically walked away from blockbusters to concentrate on indie films that appeal to him. Also he lives mostly in New York so whilst he might come over to the UK for short stints of fuilming, I'm not sure he'd want to leave/uproot his family for 9 months of the year, especially given his other half's an actress (Jennifer Connolly)

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^And given that his other half's Jennifer Connolly. Who would want to leave her for 6 months of the year?!

18. Sindatur

Actually, wasn't Tennant 39 when he left in 2010, now that I look him up on IMDB. Though he was only 34 when he started as the Doctor, and hat's what I was referring to, was age of casting, not necessarily age when they left the role. Eccelston, though, I didn't realize was as old as me (In fact, he's a month older), so thanks for pointing that out. I hope the younger crowd keeps that in mind if they do cast a bit older again. Couldn't believe when a couple 20 something folks, at different times, have both said Pertwee "Is so Old". Jeez folks, watch the character, yes, the face is a bit older, but, the character is an action Hero, just like 60+ year old Jean Luc Picard:rolleyes:

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and though he's the youngest Smith actually acts a lot older and more cumudgenly than a lot of the 'older' Doctors!

20. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I see her as VERY good companion material! :techman: