IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 22 2012, 08:56 AM   #106
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

propita wrote: View Post
So the "forget everything at the town line" is the price of magic. What Rumple wants the most, he can't have.
Yep. Rumple told Regina that magic was unpredictable in Storybrooke, but he also clearly wasn't expecting it to be THAT unpredictable. He brought magic to Storybrooke to give himself an advantage, most likely over Regina given their long and complicated history and rivalry, but, as was the case when he became the Dark One in the first place, he ended up inadvertently screwing himself over, since introducing magic created a 'secondary curse' that has trapped him - and everyone else - in Storybrooke as effectively as the original Dark Curse did, but with greater detrimental effect.
Old October 22 2012, 04:32 PM   #107
sojourner
Admiral

I'm waiting for the inevitable "why would I want to go back?" movement among the peasant types.
Old October 22 2012, 06:10 PM   #108
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Maybe I'm way off here, but Rumple always knew who he was, right? In one episode last season when he was in jail, Regina asked Gold, who he was, and he said Rumplestilsken, so if he crossed the town line what would he forget? He didn't have an alternate life like everyone else (except Jefferson and Regina).
Old October 22 2012, 06:16 PM   #109
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

TimmyWl wrote: View Post
I did like how Smee came up and it took me some time to recognize the famous red cap/striped shirt.
Yeah, I was trying to figure out who he was going to be!

I loved that Hook called Rumplestiltskin a crocodile when he first saw him as the Dark One, and I hope we get to see Neverland at some point.

I liked the little reference to Game of Thrones as well

This show has got so much going I sometimes forget that it's only in its second season. There's been so much backstory and character revelations it seems like it's been going on for much longer than 30ish episodes.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 06:39 PM   #110
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Kirby wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm way off here, but Rumple always knew who he was, right? In one episode last season when he was in jail, Regina asked Gold, who he was, and he said Rumplestilsken, so if he crossed the town line what would he forget? He didn't have an alternate life like everyone else (except Jefferson and Regina).
The PTB have said that Rumple was only aware of his 'true' identity from the Pilot on (after he heard Emma say her name in Granny's), but there IS on-screen evidence suggesting that he may or may not have known who he was from the moment the curse deposited everyone in Storybrooke.

Regarding what he would lose were he to cross the town line, everything that Rumple has done has been geared towards getting to our world, waiting for his Dark Curse to be broken, and then setting out to find Bae.

Unfortunately, as Belle said in last night's episode, the 'wrinkle' of the 'secondary curse' created when Rumple brought magic to Storybrooke now means that if Rumple were to cross the town line to go and try to find Bae, he wouldn't remember him even if he did manage to find him.
Old October 22 2012, 06:44 PM   #111
SpookyCat
Captain

I don't recognize the red cap. Who is this character, Smee?
Old October 22 2012, 06:47 PM   #112
Aragorn
Admiral

Spooky Cat wrote: View Post
He's Captain Hook's right hand man. Bob Hoskins played him in the movie Hook.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 06:49 PM   #113
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

You seriously don't know who Smee is? He's Captain Hook's first mate and/or chief servant, depending on which version of the Peter Pan story you're looking at.

The version of the character who appeared in last night's episode was clearly based on the version of the character who appeared in Walt Disney's 1953 animated film adaptation of the story, with the only significant difference that I can see being the character having a first name (William).

Interestingly enough, while the character of Smee was clearly based on the 1953 Disney film, his boss, Captain Jones (AKA Hook), was/is not, as far as I can tell, based on any specific previous version of the character.

Edit: Ninja'ed.
Old October 22 2012, 07:04 PM   #114
SpookyCat
Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
He's Captain Hook's right hand man. Bob Hoskins played him in the movie Hook.

Oh, duh! SMH Now I get it. Thanks!
Old October 22 2012, 07:08 PM   #115
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I felt zero sympathy for Milah and Hook. As one poster hilariously said on another board, even douchebags need love I guess.

Do the Dwarves seriously think they will find fairy dust?

Glad Belle stood up for herself.
Old October 22 2012, 09:26 PM   #116
propita
Rear Admiral

OMG! I was trying and trying to place Smee! Didn't recognize him without the hair and sideburns!
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 10:20 PM   #117
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
OMG! I was trying and trying to place Smee! Didn't recognize him without the hair and sideburns!
Neither did I.
Old October 22 2012, 10:55 PM   #118
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I think I first recognized him in the scene where Rumpy had him tied up.

Another great episode, even though there was no sign of Emma, Regina, Mulan or Henry. The rehabilitation of Rumpelstiltskin continues. He's quite a sympathetic character, despite his evil shenanigans. Captain Hook and his dead ex-wife are far less sympathetic.

Good point about Rumpy not having a false identity in Storybrooke. What would happen to him if he left town? Would he just have total amnesia?
Old October 23 2012, 12:29 AM   #119
sojourner
Admiral

I think Rumpy has a second identity - Mr. Gold. It's just that unlike the others, his real personality was never forgotten.
Old October 23 2012, 03:05 AM   #120
JD
Admiral

Great episode. I do have to agree that I had no sympathy for Milah at all, although "Hook" seemed like an interesting villain. I loved how they cast Rumple as "the crocodile" I was not expecting that at all. I loved the developments with Belle in the episode too. Very intrigues by that last scene.