RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 434
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 14 2012, 03:27 AM   #181
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Looks like Black Manta designed it. This Robocop seems a lot slicker than the old one for better or worse (or different).
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 12:14 PM   #182
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Looks like a man in a suit on a motorcycle with fancy additions.

Since he's actually a robot, why not let him integrate into the motorcycle in some form? But maybe that's another magical CG addition.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 02:37 AM   #183
davejames
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
The Robocycle

Too bad they didn't at least model the rest of the suit after the helmet.

A smooth, glossy black suit in the same style would have looked MUCH cooler, I think.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 04:29 AM   #184
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Good grief...it's actually a remake of Street Hawk!
Old October 16 2012, 02:58 AM   #185
davejames
Vice Admiral

Looks like it's being pushed back to February 2014.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=95932

And to think, the original was released in the middle of freakin July.
Old October 19 2012, 12:56 AM   #186
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Robocyle video:

Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 07:57 PM   #187
davejames
Vice Admiral

Watched the original movie again, for the first time in awhile, and it's amazing how absolutely awesome and badass Robocop still looks.... and how utterly dated and old everything ELSE in the movie now looks.

It's pretty much the only design element that still holds up, and almost makes it look like he popped in from a totally different movie or something. Lol
Old October 21 2012, 11:37 PM   #188
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

davejames wrote: View Post
Watched the original movie again, for the first time in awhile, and it's amazing how absolutely awesome and badass Robocop still looks.... and how utterly dated and old everything ELSE in the movie now looks.

It's pretty much the only design element that still holds up, and almost makes it look like he popped in from a totally different movie or something. Lol
To be honest, there's very little in the effects department that looks dated in Robocop. Hell, Starship Troopers looks even better than most modern CG. Given that Verehoeven started in the effects field, this isn't too shocking.

ED-209's movement ranges from shoddy to almost-realistic, yes, but it's not nearly as head bangingly stupid as the squibs on the yuppie and Dick Jones going apeshit and the glass behind them not giving two fucks. That never looked good.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 11:59 PM   #189
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post

To be honest, there's very little in the effects department that looks dated in Robocop. Hell, Starship Troopers looks even better than most modern CG. Given that Verehoeven started in the effects field, this isn't too shocking.

ED-209's movement ranges from shoddy to almost-realistic, yes, but it's not nearly as head bangingly stupid as the squibs on the yuppie and Dick Jones going apeshit and the glass behind them not giving two fucks. That never looked good.
The best part is as Jones falls, his arms don't scale with the rest of his body.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 12:05 AM   #190
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

^That's one of those things that's never been bad enough to bother me though. I mean, it's a stupid error, sure, but it's not nearly as jarring as a guy being torn to shreds and the glass behind him gives physics the middle finger.

Old October 22 2012, 05:48 AM   #191
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I love the original film, the violence was part of the absolute glee and passion the filmmakers had for this story!
Old October 22 2012, 03:08 PM   #192
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I love the original film, the violence was part of the absolute glee and passion the filmmakers had for this story!
Not only that, but it's an excellent morality play and social satire.

I've often said that if I have kids, one of the films we're watching together is Robocop. I'd rather have my kids exposed to ultra-violence in the context of an intelligent narrative than schlock that panders to mouth-breathers.

I have a feeling I should never have children.

Old October 22 2012, 03:17 PM   #193
Captain Atkin
Commander

I just saw the costume up close and in person yesterday, as well as the motorcycle. They are shooting in my neighbourhood in Toronto. I was standing about 12 feet away from the stunt double. I didn't see the actual helmet, as the stunt driver was wearing a black motorcycle helmet with white dots painted on it. The costume looked pretty cool in person.

I took a few pictures on my cell. Will try to post those tomorrow.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 07:25 PM   #194
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Not only that, but it's an excellent morality play and social satire.

I've often said that if I have kids, one of the films we're watching together is Robocop. I'd rather have my kids exposed to ultra-violence in the context of an intelligent narrative than schlock that panders to mouth-breathers.

I have a feeling I should never have children.
No, it's a very good point, one that I couldn't quite put into words. I noticed taht the sterile Total REcall remake not only lacked the over-the-top violence that Verhoven put in the original, but it mad eit bland.,. Violence isn't everything, but it was clear that Robocop-Recall-Troopers-era Verhoven had a passion for using it for satire, morality plays as well as just a great way to to bring all the talent that goes into a film to bear on the finished product.
Old October 22 2012, 07:57 PM   #195
davejames
Vice Admiral

True, the effects are still fantastic, but I was referring more to the dated set design, costumes, cars (like that fugly 6000 SUX), etc.

Design-wise, I'd say the only things that still hold up are Robo and ED-209.

What I love about it (especially compared to today's bloodless action movies) is that it creates a real, visceral reaction in you. It may be exaggerated, but those bullet wounds still look nasty and painful as hell-- which is probably the way it should be.