RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,732
Posts: 5,432,741
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 468
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 20 2012, 08:05 AM   #106
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Well uhh.. maybe you should go home if you feel that way. You're kind of feeding a few stereotypes there yourself.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 08:15 AM   #107
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

teacock wrote: View Post
Well uhh.. maybe you should go home if you feel that way. You're kind of feeding a few stereotypes there yourself.
It's bearable here in the Colonies. And when the balloon goes up in the Middle East, probably nice and safe too.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 05:30 PM   #108
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post

They think LOTR is a Kiwi thing, for example.
I expect you made quick work of correcting these hussies. How dare they appropriate!
I work with a NZ fellow who was reading one of the Tolkien LOTR books and who told me that he wished these film tie-ins books would be truer to the film that was shot. He didn't understand why I was laughing so much.


Just wait until he finds out the Doctor Dolittle books changed the main character to a white dude!
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."

Last edited by Set Harth; October 20 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 06:35 PM   #109
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
Wait, it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be to find, as follows;

http://trekmovie.com/2012/09/07/chri...er-and-bolder/

In the comments - that said - it wasn't this that I read. I read something else.
Say what? Bigger and Bolder and more Challenging somehow translates into "Divorcing himself from his performance" and means the movie will suck? Yea, OK, sure...
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; October 20 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 07:19 PM   #110
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
Wait, it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be to find, as follows;

http://trekmovie.com/2012/09/07/chri...er-and-bolder/

In the comments - that said - it wasn't this that I read. I read something else.
Say what? Bigger and Bolder and more Challenging somehow translates into "Divorcing himself from his performance" and means the movie will suck? Yea, OK, sure...
I think the person commenting on the thread is insinuating that the film/effects/explosions/scale is transcending what Star Trek should be, an essentially character driven piece of moral and philosophical platitudes and notions, with a sci-fi twist.

At least that's what I assume several of those posters were getting at. And we all know there is a section of fandom who feel that way too.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 10:29 PM   #111
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Movies need 'splosions.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 10:53 PM   #112
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

teacock wrote: View Post
Movies need 'splosions.
Movies need Hugo Weaving.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 11:08 PM   #113
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

I completely agree.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 07:16 PM   #114
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
I think the person commenting on the thread is insinuating that the film/effects/explosions/scale is transcending what Star Trek should be, an essentially character driven piece of moral and philosophical platitudes and notions, with a sci-fi twist.
'Cause, of course, nobody ever watched TOS for the cool spaceships, phasers, photon torpedoes, transporter beams, alien monsters, and snazzy special-effects.

And Kirk never got his shirt ripped off, got into a fist-fight, or made out with an alien babe in a skimpy costume . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 07:18 PM   #115
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
I think the person commenting on the thread is insinuating that the film/effects/explosions/scale is transcending what Star Trek should be, an essentially character driven piece of moral and philosophical platitudes and notions, with a sci-fi twist.
'Cause, of course, nobody ever watched TOS for the cool spaceships, phasers, photon torpedoes, transporter beams, alien monsters, and snazzy special-effects.

And Kirk never got his shirt ripped off, got into a fist-fight, or made out with an alien babe in a skimpy costume . . . .
__________________
Here's proof that I can write something without using the word f**k.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 09:18 PM   #116
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
I think the person commenting on the thread is insinuating that the film/effects/explosions/scale is transcending what Star Trek should be, an essentially character driven piece of moral and philosophical platitudes and notions, with a sci-fi twist.
'Cause, of course, nobody ever watched TOS for the cool spaceships, phasers, photon torpedoes, transporter beams, alien monsters, and snazzy special-effects.

And Kirk never got his shirt ripped off, got into a fist-fight, or made out with an alien babe in a skimpy costume . . . .
So that's it lasting appeal then was it?
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 09:45 PM   #117
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

'Cause, of course, nobody ever watched TOS for the cool spaceships, phasers, photon torpedoes, transporter beams, alien monsters, and snazzy special-effects.

And Kirk never got his shirt ripped off, got into a fist-fight, or made out with an alien babe in a skimpy costume . . . .
So that's it lasting appeal then was it?
Oh, there was certainly more to it than that. But this revisionist idea that TOS was a purely cerebral exercise in highbrow philosphy and utopian ideology that never, ever indulged in good old-fashioned thrills, action, bad behavior, or excitement gets taken to extremes sometimes . . . and bears little resemblance to the series that we all grew up on.

Especially when people start having vapors because (gasp!) there's kissing or explosions in STAR TREK! Because Trek is supposed to be classy, civilized, and intellectual at all times, damnit!

I swear, the way some people talk, TOS was a weekly Sunday-morning symposium on the Important Issues of the Day, and not a rollicking, grown-up space opera that mixed heady scifi ideas with lots of colorful action, sex appeal, special effects, and adventure.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 09:53 PM   #118
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

The adventure element was strongest in TOS I think. And damned good it was too.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 09:57 PM   #119
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

teacock wrote: View Post
The adventure element was strongest in TOS I think. And damned good it was too.
Agreed. Indeed, some of the later shows could have used a bit more pep, IMHO.

(I'm looking at you, VOYAGER.)
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 10:18 PM   #120
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
The adventure element was strongest in TOS I think. And damned good it was too.
Agreed. Indeed, some of the later shows could have used a bit more pep, IMHO.

(I'm looking at you, VOYAGER.)
Agreed about the abortion that was Voyager.

However, the other stuff described can be applied to any number of other 60's shows, there was an extra layer to Trek that transcended the aforementioned stuff.

And that characterisation and message has been active across 6 decades now. It's that depth that a big budget, populist notions of what makes a blockbuster and with several exceptions, poor leading actors, that is missing in its current incarnation.

Sure I'll go to the cinema to see it next May but its a clever facsimile of the essence of what it was.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.