Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 20 2012, 11:40 AM   #1231
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Any use of her past the Wedding should reveal pretty quickly if there is in fact a conspiracy of some kind to preserve Robb's unborn heir and if that is going to play a part in the future plot.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 02:59 PM   #1232
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

superdeluxe wrote: View Post
“@OonaCC: Today was a day I will never forget. You will never forget. #GameOfThrones”

Damnit :/
Ugh. That makes me all dreadful, thinking about what kind of sick shit the Freys will do to Talisa.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 04:40 PM   #1233
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

So wasn't the book wife good enough for the tv show? I've never seen it so I don't know the differences. Also I'm getting the impression that a lot of people who like the tv show haven't read the books, so they aren't (or weren't) aware of the author's famous trick of killing off central characters on a whim.
Old October 20 2012, 04:53 PM   #1234
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Frau Blucher wrote: View Post
Also I'm getting the impression that a lot of people who like the tv show haven't read the books, so they aren't (or weren't) aware of the author's famous trick of killing off central characters on a whim.
That's definitely true. It's also true a lot of people watched at least the first season before reading the books so Ned Stark's death came as a shock. I guess I'll be interested to see how surprising Robb and Catelyn come to them.
Old October 21 2012, 01:08 PM   #1235
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

So wasn't the book wife good enough for the tv show? I've never seen it so I don't know the differences. Also I'm getting the impression that a lot of people who like the tv show haven't read the books, so they aren't (or weren't) aware of the author's famous trick of killing off central characters on a whim.
The book wife required they actually put some plot into Robb's story instead of having him wander around angsting in armor and then marry the first girl he has seen (other than his mother) in a year.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old October 21 2012, 02:49 PM   #1236
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The book wife is basically a one-scene wonder, and it would even more bizarre for an 18 year old to get into the situation with Jeyne that Robb did in the book.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 03:00 PM   #1237
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
The book wife required they actually put some plot into Robb's story
What story? Robb is that guy we hear other people talking about. He's very important in terms of plot... for the same reasons other major political figures are. We don't get a single scene of Robb and Jeyne alone, and if memory serves we get very few scenes where Jeyne even talks (and that, iirc, to Catelyn).

Robb's story in the TV series however is about Robb. Whether or not it was executed well is a whole other discussion, obviously.

Anwar wrote: View Post
The book wife is basically a one-scene wonder, and it would even more bizarre for an 18 year old to get into the situation with Jeyne that Robb did in the book.
Pretty much. If there's any reason to make her from Volantis, though, I've yet to hear it. If there are any further twists the character is supposed to have though I guess season three is the time to hear it.
Old October 21 2012, 03:07 PM   #1238
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Then you completely missed the point.

Step 1. Robb has a big victory, takes the Crag. He is well on his way to chewing off a big chunk of Lannisters' own lands. The victory might have come a bit easier than it should have.
Step 2. Robb is injured in the battle and bedridden.
Step 3. The Westerlings (on orders from Tywin) encourage their daughter to befriend Robb and help nurse him back to health. They may or may not have suggested to her that their best chance for survival was for her to "comfort" him when he is at his most distraught after receiving news that his brothers are dead.
Step 4. Honorable Robb realizes what he has done and insists on marriage (or is goaded into it by her parents with some subtle digs at his honor) rather than be seen to have taken advantage of the girl, who was essentially his prisoner at the time.
Step 5. Tywin is informed and sends word to begin negotiations with the Freys before Catelyn can begin trying to contain the damage.
Step 6. Profit. Also a lot of blood.
Old October 21 2012, 05:17 PM   #1239
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Oh I did not, although you seem to have missed mine. I'm distinguishing story from plot. Robb is instrumental to the plot, and I mentioned that.

But not so much when it comes to story. This is part of the reason most of the biggest plot beats you mention regarding Robb happen off-stage.

The TV series - for better or worse - involves Robb more in the story than its counterpart. It devotes time to Robb's perspective on the war and Robb's relationship with Talisa (while the novel Robb's relationship with Jeyne is inferred and told to other people). It still elides his major military victories, although that's obviously in part because budget is a bit of an issue here.
Old October 21 2012, 06:57 PM   #1240
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Robb in the books was always a kind of plot device who was doing something that made everyone else react, without ever spending much time with him. Everyone else gets their own stories and we return to them regularly (unless they get killed). I can understand why they would want to flesh him out for a tv show, since he's young and dynamic. I don't think Martin was all that interested in him tbh.
Old October 21 2012, 09:03 PM   #1241
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Oh I did not, although you seem to have missed mine.
My post was fin reply to the previous comment.
Old October 22 2012, 07:30 PM   #1242
Kosh Naranek
Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
What I was curious about was how long the Wildings were allowed to remain unmolested by the Others while they were hanging out north of the wall. The Others/Whites army was already on the move when they attacked the Watch at the Fist of the First Men, only slightly behind the Wilding army at best, marching in parallel with them at worst. The Wildings make it to the wall first, obviously, and they hang out there for quite some time - enough for Stannis' forces to arrive, come to an agreement and bring a ton of people through the gates. What are the Others waiting for? The bunching-up of the Wilding civilians moving through the wall would have been a perfect time to surround and attack a huge contingent of humans that would have been quickly turned to swell their own ranks.
I don't think their numbers are that huge, otherwise they would have done a lot more damage historically. Their troops are time-limited to how long their corpses stay together. I don't think troops can turn troops so it would require one of the Others to do the turning. Sam killed one of their knights but he was on his own. The only other time we see one of their knights is at the very beginning of the first book and he was on his own too.

Of course I could be completely wrong about troops turning other living things but it isn't clear and the troops don't rampage around willy nilly like modern day zombie movies; they are driven by someone who knows about combat and subterfuge.
I thought the whole impetus for the Wildlings gathering together and marching was that the Others were making inroads into their communities. They wanted the horn of Joruman (or at least for Jon to think it had power or was to be desired) to get past the Wall and make it to safety. Did the books not mention that Mance had patrols along the march that were to harry the straglers and move people along? I assumed that was because just like in the flight from the fist, those at the far flung sides or rear were easy pickings.

Once Tormund makes it through the Wall, he said that one of his sons died in the night and came back as a Wight. No one realized he was dead until he raised up and Tormund had to "kill" him. I don't recall Tormund mentioning an Other attack in conjuction with that incident. (Tormund and his band had fled the Wall in the wake of Stannis' attack.)

Mel reveals the Wall is powerful. Could perhaps the spells within the Wall have protected the Wildlings while they were assualting it? Dead stored within the ice vaults don't become Wights.

Is it then safe to assume that anyone that dies beyond the Wall now and is not burned immediately will rise?

I still think Cotter Pyke's message from Hardhome is so chilling. Dead things in the Water.

Perhaps they have not moved yet because they are waiting for the dead and dying to swell their ranks?

I don't think the Wights decompose. Sam pointed out that the flesh was ropey and that there was no corruption.
Old October 23 2012, 05:32 PM   #1243
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

http://collider.com/kit-harington-si...ason-3/202723/

Kit Harrington talks S3:

“I’d definitely say our budget’s bigger for season three, you can feel it on set. I’ll put it this way: season one was a big impact season, season two was more story, season three is another impact season. There’s some wonderful stuff coming in this season which is gonna grab people, especially if they don’t know what’s coming… So I’d say enjoy it, because this season is my favorite season so far.”
Old October 23 2012, 09:33 PM   #1244
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Westeros.org's third sample from the map book has been posted. It's a section of Essos that hasn't been seen or hinted at previously, the coastal areas to the north of the Dothraki Sea. There's some speculation about what the new locations might be in this thread.
Old October 24 2012, 05:20 PM   #1245
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Thanks!

I am not sure if I will be purchasing or not. I may wait until other fans have copies in hand and see what they say.

The maps on my Kindle version of Dance were very faint and frustrating.