IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 19 2012, 06:49 PM   #16
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Re: The Borg in JJverse

A real Star Trek horror movie? First Contact but maybe more terrifying?

Sounds good.

By the way T'Girl, I love your sig!
Old October 19 2012, 08:38 PM   #17
Sheridan
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to Sheridan

If TNG era villains were to be brought into the JJverse, I'd rather see Q. I imagine it would be a more comedic movie on par with ST IV which after nearly 30 years of serious Star Trek movies, might be refreshing.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 12:16 PM   #18
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
If they're going to bring back the Borg, they need to be treated with respect. If they're supposed to be so fearsome, the writing needs to validate that idea, not undercut it.

Starfleet cannot be allowed to beat them except under very unusual circumstances, ie, the writers come up with a way for Starfleet to be astonishingly clever about it. And even then, this should happen rarely.

And assimilation is P E R M A M E N T. No more go-backs, no wiggle room. Allowing characters to be de-Borged just because they are main characters really undercuts the Borg's credibility.

And NO QUEEN!

Yeah that just about covers it.
A self-defeating prescription.

If you make the borg have no chinks in its armor, it'll utterly crush the federation. No amount of 'clever' can overcome the HUGE advantages - in terms of military technology/intelligence and numbers - that the borg enjoys - without said chinks in its armor.
The implausibility will become that it somehow fails to bitch slap the federation on an ongoing basis; more than enough to break the suspension of disbelief.
Old October 20 2012, 12:23 PM   #19
teacock
Admiral

The Borg bitch slapped 63 billion folk in the books.

And you know.. it wasn't all that exciting after the first planet.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 10:56 PM   #20
Bamarren
Lieutenant

A part of me wants to see something new, but the borg on the other hand are fantastic. One of the most terrifying enemies ever to be in any fiction.

They could be brought back into the new universe, but with a difference. What I dont know. But it still needs to be along the terrifying lines they were on when they first appeared in TNG. Dont like Queenie though, but a bunch of Cubes chasing you around the Milky Way could work.

As someone else said, use the Q more, whether its the Q we all know and love or another member of the Q, so much more could be done with that.
Bamarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 07:49 AM   #21
Tiberius
Commodore

And NO QUEEN!
Actually, I view the Queen as a necessary part of the Collective. I think that any group of units like the drones, when joined together in a network, will create a single brain.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 08:08 AM   #22
teacock
Admiral

However the Queen does not have to feature in the movie, she can be known of and referred to and never seen.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 11:24 AM   #23
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
And NO QUEEN!
Actually, I view the Queen as a necessary part of the Collective. I think that any group of units like the drones, when joined together in a network, will create a single brain.
Hmm. They were a collective consciousness at their inception - a vast collective operating as one unifed entity. It was impossible for us mere mortals to comprehend or visualise the overawing nature of such a thing. I felt The Queen removed some of that mystique and made them too comparable to us.
Old October 22 2012, 11:34 AM   #24
Tiberius
Commodore

StarMan wrote: View Post
And NO QUEEN!
Hmm. They were a collective consciousness at their inception - a vast collective operating as one unifed entity. It was impossible for us mere mortals to comprehend or visualise the overawing nature of such a thing. I felt The Queen removed some of that mystique and made them too comparable to us.
How so? You admit it yourself, the Borg were "one unifed entity." Why is that mystique lost by any amount if that entity decides to control a physical body as a puppet?
Old October 23 2012, 03:53 AM   #25
FKnight
Commander

How so? You admit it yourself, the Borg were "one unifed entity." Why is that mystique lost by any amount if that entity decides to control a physical body as a puppet?
True enough point, but in light of that I have a question --- in those situations where there are only Borg around, what would be the relevance of said puppet?
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 03:58 AM   #26
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

And NO QUEEN!
Brain and Brain. What is Brain?

sorry
Old October 23 2012, 06:30 AM   #27
Gloomy Giver
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
:: slaps the cheerleader ::

No assimilation for YOU!
I don't think zombies can be assimilated!
Why do I get a mental picture of this just by reading your post, only replace the Zombies with the Borg.
Old October 23 2012, 06:41 AM   #28
Tiberius
Commodore

FKnight wrote: View Post
True enough point, but in light of that I have a question --- in those situations where there are only Borg around, what would be the relevance of said puppet?
If the queen wants to do something for herself, for example. In fact, I don't think we've ever seen a situation where we saw the Queen and there were no non-Borg around.
Old October 23 2012, 07:08 AM   #29
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

We did in "Unimatrix Zero". In fact we saw the Queen talking to drones, which still doesn't make any sense.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 07:56 AM   #30
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
In the past I've said enough already, lets have something new. But thinking on it the Borg are one of my favorite villains, I never got bored with them like I did the Klingons. kingDaniel's point about looking better (and scarier) is a good one. I'd like to see them again.
I agree. The Klingons can stay in their mothballs of honourrrrrrrrrrrr for all I care, but if JJ wanted to bring back the Borg, I'd be all for it....as long as they're really threatening, like they were in First Contact.

If they have to recycle villains, let them pick the good ones. Of course, ymmv on who's a good villain and who is not....