Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old October 20 2012, 11:12 PM   #31
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

I wonder if you had a big cephalopod alien working on your team if making calamari jokes would be enough to get you fired. I bet tartare sauce would be banned from the messhall just to keep the incidents of offense down.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 21 2012, 03:25 AM   #32
The Wormhole
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The Nox's invisibility is for sure a great asset but the people are so docile that I also don't think they are part of the "Alien UN",
The Nox do indeed belong to the Alien UN.
Old October 21 2012, 04:03 AM   #33
gturner
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The Nox's invisibility is for sure a great asset but the people are so docile that I also don't think they are part of the "Alien UN",
The Nox do indeed belong to the Alien UN.
Only because they're so sweet and polite that everyone else would've felt guilty not inviting them. Ironically, despite the invite nobody ever saw them attending the meetings.
Old October 21 2012, 04:44 AM   #34
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I'm betting they are actually cannibals and all is revealed in season 9.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 21 2012, 12:21 PM   #35
AJ86
Captain

We should probably stop calling it the Alien UN. It was never anything like an alien UN.
Old October 21 2012, 01:56 PM   #36
The Wormhole
Admiral

AJ86 wrote: View Post
We should probably stop calling it the Alien UN. It was never anything like an alien UN.
It's an understandable comparison for someone only in the first season, especially since Daniel (or was it Ernest?) describes it in Tantalus as "a United Nations of the stars."
Old October 21 2012, 08:21 PM   #37
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
It was Earnest who called it a type of "Alien UN", that's the only reason I was using that term. And it's really nothing like that in the end, huh? Well it figures about the time I decide to stop trying to guess the members of this....coalition(better ?) and figured the Nox were a one off, they show back up.

1x15-Singularity: This episode is one that really helps showcase just how ruthless and cunning the Gou'ald are. Implanting a bomb inside a little girl. Everyone else on the planet that SG-7 had scouted ends up dying of a disease which is also a huge step just to ensure that Hammond and SG-1 are lead into their trap. One of the questions I now have is that it seems if you're on an SG team other than ONE, you are a red shirt unit essentially. This isn't the first team to lose either a member or the whole team be lost. I recall SG-2, 4 and 9 as well so far in just 15 episodes. How many teams are there are we told? Does one of these teams end up on Atlantis(I know I'm way ahead of myself but my mind is just thinking now). If that can be answered un-spolerific, great, if not I'm content to just be left wondering for awhile.

1x16-Enigma: I want to say I'll see more of this race. Even though the Tollan commander seemed off putting(for good reasons as he saw it) they just seem to be an eventual ally even if it's a begrudging alliance. And of course The Nox show back up...and likely will again? If so will Armin be reprising his role? The late 90's was good to him with DS9, Principal Snyder on Buffy and this(assuming he's back at some point). Carter's romantic interest(I don't recall his name) getting to keep the cat was a nice gesture. While not a true parallel to Data on TNG my mind couldn't help but go there. I also have to, from a real world perspective, question the likelihood of that being allowed. Seems it would be a type of violation introducing a native Earth animal onto a foreign world, the Nox's no less.
Old October 21 2012, 09:17 PM   #38
gturner
Admiral

You do get to see more of the Tollan, and the Nox.

Hrm... You folks have seen the Ernest episode more recently than I have, but if Ernest went through the gate during WW-II he would preceded the creation of the UN and would've instead thought of it as a "League of Nations." I'll bet the UN phrase was Daniel's.
Old October 21 2012, 09:45 PM   #39
teacake
Fleet Admiral

The cat was microwaved and bleached before it went through the gate, it is of course neutered and since it will be fed it's impact on native fauna will be minimal.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 22 2012, 03:21 AM   #40
The Wormhole
Admiral

How many teams are there are we told? Does one of these teams end up on Atlantis(I know I'm way ahead of myself but my mind is just thinking now). If that can be answered un-spolerific, great, if not I'm content to just be left wondering for awhile.
In the first season there's only nine SG teams, but each season more get added and by the end of the series I think there's around twenty-five.

Atlantis has its own military contingent with its own SG teams, though it's never indicated how many teams they have.

gturner wrote: View Post
You do get to see more of the Tollan, and the Nox.

Hrm... You folks have seen the Ernest episode more recently than I have, but if Ernest went through the gate during WW-II he would preceded the creation of the UN and would've instead thought of it as a "League of Nations." I'll bet the UN phrase was Daniel's.
As I recall, the episode has Daniel reading that description in Ernest's journal. I agree, I've always thought it odd that Ernest would use the term "United Nations" but figured it was used to make things easier for anyone in the audience not familiar with the UN's history. Or the writer wasn't aware of or forgot about the League of Nations. Or both.
Old October 22 2012, 08:32 PM   #41
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Thanks for the count. The Solitudes episode just mentioned SG-5. I feel like I'm filling in the gaps for the DS stations counting down from DS9.

1x17-Tin Man: I'm sure there is a good sci-fi episode to compare this to but once O'Neill opens his arm and I see servos I instantly just went TERMINATOR even though the theme of the episode is clearly not that. This felt like a filler episode as I'm not sure what was gained from it. The culture was long since dead. At best I'd say a team could be sent to learn from the data in the computers, maybe even go topside. It would be strictly a cultural study though and that isn't the main focus of the SG Program as we learned in the episode The Vox. Would be interesting to see the cyborg doppelgangers return at some point if only for a fake out death to full another enemy down the road. I also liked how the Gate opened in a building, just like our teams gate. Every time to date till this episode the Gate has been outside. Makes sense some other culture that had one would've moved it inside like we had.

1x18-Solitudes: Expanding on the fact the Gates were not Gou'ald tech and that it was possible the Gate system had been around for longer than originally thought made for a great episode imo. So if there are two Gates on Earth now where will the story go from here? That Antarctica Gate was functioning enough for incoming, I'm guessing it could be outgoing again as well? Also, Carter noted a cartouche she didn't recognize but was likely the symbol for "this world"(which was Earth) but she was essentially dialing home, hence the busy signal. So Earth was given a new cartouche at some point--to the one we know from the film? Interesting.
Old October 30 2012, 05:32 PM   #42
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

1x19- There But for the Grace of God: When this episode opened with the team arriving inside a building I feared my disc had been repressed with Tin Man. I had an issue with The Nox, so thought it might have happened again. Turned out things were fine. I was wondering when I'd see a "Mirror Universe" type episode. It's a sci-fi staple. However, it seems that this episode is more Prophetic in nature, or as much so, than purely alternate universe(which it still is). I thought if I had one issue with the story is that it took Daniel over half the episode to go, "this seems to be an alternate universe from my own"

1x20- Politics: This episode felt very fluid and organic given that not only have they addressed an attitude from "higher ups" about the lack of advanced tech returned but it is a government installation. I like that the line item for SG command is "Area 52", nice touch. I'll need a shirt with that on it I think. I like that actor Ronny Cox was the asshole Senator determined to shut down "Area 52". The nod to Independence Day was nice, "...sure we'll just send up a ship and upload a virus to the mothership." While the episode ends with our Cheyenne complex essentially shut down I'm curious to see what happens next episode to reverse our fortunes. Or if the armada arrives that soon.
An observational point here was that this was largely a flashback filled episode. Having also just recently finished MacGuyver they did that once a season there as well. Coincidence at this point? RDAnderson influence? He's not producer till later in the show right?
Old October 31 2012, 03:22 AM   #43
The Wormhole
Admiral

Although RDA was a producer since the beginning, I don't think he ahd anything to do with the clip shows. At leat not yet. It's possible in the later seasons his availability necessitated the need for as many as they did, but this early I think it's more just a result of stretching the budget or meeting deadlines. Or both.
Old October 31 2012, 08:07 AM   #44
Harvey
Admiral

I've never heard of a clip show that wasn't a means of saving money. Anyways, if they had to write RDA out of most or all of an episode, I imagine they'd just do that (as they did for a number of episodes in seasons 6-8), rather than do a clip show.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old November 1 2012, 03:17 PM   #45
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

1x21-Within the Serpent's Grasp: The finale to season one felt like a good build up from the prior episodes. The idea of a Gate on a ship is an interesting idea. I'm guessing when a Gate is on a ship there can only be so many "home addresses" for the DHD. Limiting the use by the ship then since as the episode showed that when the ship travels the Gate becomes useless for transportation. This season really moved faster than I expected. I figured an invasion of Earth by Ra might not come till at least next season. The little in joke with O'Neill asking if the "television like" device could pick up Showtime was not lost on me. Speaking of did fans know if there was going to be a season 2 when this cliffhanger season ended?

So far I'm happy with my blind buy of Stargate SG-1. Luckily I don't have to wait a year for Season 2, I just flip the page in my DVD set!!