Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old October 20 2012, 12:02 PM   #76
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

Secrets: Oh. This was quite romantic. Daniel loves Sha're though she's carrying another man's child. Sha're loves Daniel even while under the power of the Goa'uld. I got a bit choked up during some of this, it was lovely.

But if he loves her SO MUCH why doesn't he take her baby with him?! He just leaves it on the planet with its grandfather to flee and and hide and hope that no one recognizes Grandpa carrying a baby and oh what a coincidence his daughter was having one of those though she said it got stolen by snakeheads. All he had to do was take the baby and Grandpa or even just the baby through the stargate and keep it safe for the day he would free Sha're from the Goa'uld and she would want her child.

All this abandoning kids to the vengeful vagaries of the universe is pissing me off.

The Washington story was great, I love that we and O'Neill do not know if the reporter's death was an accident. Also, Carter's father is a dick.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 20 2012, 01:09 PM   #77
AJ86
Captain

teacock wrote: View Post
Need: Daniel is an addict! A raving drug fucked addict!! Once again he forgets he is married, there's going to be 'splainin if he ever finds his wife.

A somewhat interesting story of a people who traded slavery to the Goa'uld for slavery to the appearance of being slaves to the Goa'uld.
I enjoyed Need, I just wish at some point in the franchise they'd done a drug story that didn't involve life-destroying addiction or date rape.
Old October 20 2012, 05:10 PM   #78
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

Also, Carter's father is a dick.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's not go making hasty judgments! You might find that you grow to like him. He is pretty annoying in his first appearance, though, I'll give you that.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
Old October 20 2012, 06:24 PM   #79
Claudia
Fleet Captain

TiberiusMaximus wrote: View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's not go making hasty judgments! You might find that you grow to like him. He is pretty annoying in his first appearance, though, I'll give you that.
Well, don't forget that he's dying and just wants to get closer to his estranged daughter again...

FWIW, he's one of my favourite recurring characters.
Old October 20 2012, 08:05 PM   #80
gturner
Admiral

Secrets: If Daniel had brought Shar'e's child back through the Stargate, then Daniel would be stuck supporting a child that wasn't actually his. He'd have to spend his government salary buying toys for the child of Apophis,

in Family Tealc was trying to get his son and wife to safety, and there's an important reason he brought his wife along through the stargate, which was conveyed in a scene that they probably shot but left on the cutting room floor.

Te'alc: "What is this 'child support' you speak of Colonel O'Neill?
O'Neill: Well, when a man fathers a child and seperates from the mother, a court often makes him pay her money to raise the child while he's off doing other stuff."
Te'alc: "This is the way of the Tauri?"
Carter: "Yes Tealc, it is."
Te'alc: "I think this would greatly upset the warriors of Chulak."
O'Neill: "It might."
Te'alc: "Then I will not tell them of it."
Jackson: "Well you have to admit, it beats having wives begging for food, shelter, and protection."
Te'alc: "Jaffa warriors are strong and can endure much, as can their women."
Carter: "Still, they shouldn't have to when their husbands are able to help, I mean, he is your child, Te'alc."
Te'alc: "Indeed. He will grow into a strong warrior."
O'Neill: "And he'll grow into a stronger warrior if you pay child support."
Te'alc: "Would he not grow equally strong if if my woman stays with him and provides for his needs on a planet outside of Apophis' control?"
O'Neill: "Yeah. I suppose."
Te'alc: "Then that is what we shall do."

Later in the episode they cut a similar discussion about whether Te'alc's medical insurance would cover the ECT therapy, after which he Zats his kid.

Never assume sloppy writing when there's a bizarro alternative script.
Old October 20 2012, 09:09 PM   #81
DWF
Vice Admiral

^^Is there an SG1 script book now? Where did you get that excerpt from?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old October 20 2012, 09:42 PM   #82
gturner
Admiral

I just made that up.

I rewatched SG-1 episodes so many times that I think I internalized the dynamics.
Old October 20 2012, 10:33 PM   #83
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Claudia wrote: View Post
TiberiusMaximus wrote: View Post
Well, don't forget that he's dying and just wants to get closer to his estranged daughter again...
I am dying! Fulfill my dreams damnit!!

Hey at least he didn't expect a grandchild.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 20 2012, 10:33 PM   #84
DWF
Vice Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post
I just made that up.

I rewatched SG-1 episodes so many times that I think I internalized the dynamics.

LOL!!! Nicely done, I could see Jack having that conversation with Teal'c with just a touch more sarcasm.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old October 20 2012, 10:41 PM   #85
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Bane: Teal'c has a great Hulk moment punching his way out of a military truck. A child with a negligent parent appears to be eating a pollywaffle which confused me, but perhaps there is another long round chocolate bar that looks like a turd out there. Very Dramatic moments when Teal'c pulls the worm from his gut and abandons it on the floor.

A fast, tight, interesting episode chock full of content and twists.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 21 2012, 06:56 AM   #86
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Spirits: GILLS on their faces!!! Where their noses should be!

Each one moistly flicking open in turn..

Hope they won some award for that make up, it was very impressive.

I enjoyed this episode because the benevolent faux god aliens actually kicked ass and were ready to blow up Stargate Command as it was a threat to their pets. I'm thinking there must be some unspoken symbiosis between them and the Indians because it didn't seem in their nature to just hover around helping out for the duration of the Indians' evolution.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 21 2012, 08:12 AM   #87
gturner
Admiral

I liked and didn't like that episode, because while presenting new aliens in a new role, it portrayed Indians as simple-minded, perhaps semi-retarded, and utterly peaceful. The revisionist stereotypes were glaring, which is unfortunate because the series usually portrays tribal leaders from Egyptian or early European cultures as intelligent, cunning, sharp-witted allies and adversaries who simply lacked our knowledge base.

I'm not sure what the writer was aiming at with a tribe who belonged in a special ed class, except perhaps to show what happens to a culture that has actual benevolent gods whose protection keeps them in an infantile state.

I picked up hints at that in the episode, in their discussions about the "natural evolution" and whether the tribe was ready to see the real forms of their protectors, but perhaps the writer's original point got lost in edits and story meetings because it was too close to current stereotypes for someone not to seize on the "We're the evili defilers of harmonious natives" angle, an angle used throughout the series but without portraying a particular ethnic group as descendents of short yellow bus riders.
Old October 21 2012, 08:25 AM   #88
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Other than an elder saying a few words all the interaction with the Indians was with Tonane. We can't really judge the whole tribe on one dude who was probably following the SG team around because he was a bit of an oddball, though obviously trusted by the elders to go through the stargate and check stuff out.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 21 2012, 08:47 AM   #89
gturner
Admiral

That's probably true. I think I might've had some kind of adverse "OMG Jar Jar Binks!" reaction to his character. But thank goodness the same writing team never had SG-1 visit a Southern slave plantation planet with the same lack of self-awareness, because Christopher Judge would've smashed them over the head with the watermelons and flung the fried chicken at them, greatly upsetting the prop department who had spent so much time setting up the obligatory welcoming feast scene.

ETA: Yeah, pretty obviously that episode still grates on me, even though the aliens were extremely well done in all respects.
Old October 21 2012, 12:24 PM   #90
AJ86
Captain

gturner wrote: View Post
I liked and didn't like that episode, because while presenting new aliens in a new role, it portrayed Indians as simple-minded, perhaps semi-retarded, and utterly peaceful.
My interpretation was that the reason they were so trusting and naive is because they've had the Spirits watching over them for their entire lives. Deception in general would almost be a foreign concept to them, or at least certainly not something they would assume of visitors. For them, "other people" would likely have much more positive connotations than it would for other societies.