The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 19 2012, 04:50 PM   #91
xortex
Commodore

Re: "Space Command"

OK, first off, no wonder Doug Drexel left. The designs are horrendous and look like 1920's pulp sci-fi fiction rather than retro 50's sci-fi as was promised. The designs are ugly like the people involved.

Does anyone know how successful these kickstarter programs are or how hard they are to initiate. I hear there is a Trek one - Into Darkness? Is it any good or successful and what if things like this fold or don't become popular or serialized. Is Marc Scott Zicree going to make money on this over and above the quarter mill plus he's pulled in already? This sounds like a good thing to sidestep studio interference and have full creative control over your product and not done by committee on an assembly line with a Rick Berman hanging over your shoulder telling you what to do and not to do. I wonder how much creative freedom productions made by Netflix and Amazon will allow or do they have their own Bermans?
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 04:55 PM   #92
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
OK, first off, no wonder Doug Drexel left. The designs are horrendous and look like 1920's pulp sci-fi fiction rather than retro 50's sci-fi as was promised. The designs are ugly like the people involved.

Does anyone know how successful these kickstarter programs are or how hard they are to initiate. I hear there is a Trek one - Into Darkness? Is it any good or successful and what if things like this fold or don't become popular or serialized. Is Marc Scott Zicree going to make money on this over and above the quarter mill plus he's pulled in already? This sounds like a good thing to sidestep studio interference and have full creative control over your product and not done by committee on an assembly line with a Rick Berman hanging over your shoulder telling you what to do and not to do. I wonder how much creative freedom productions made by Netflix and Amazon will allow or do they have their own Bermans?
No, Star Trek II Into Darkness is being paid for by the Studio, JJ Abrams didn't do a kickstarter for it.

Perhaps you're thinking of Rod Roddenberry's Project Star Trek Renegades?
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Gods

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 05:54 PM   #93
Tom
Rear Admiral

Rod is not involved with Renegades.
Old October 19 2012, 06:23 PM   #94
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Rod is not involved with Renegades.
Oh, thanks, I could've sworn I read that as someone's justification when the claim was being made that it was "Official Star Trek" by a poster here.

Old October 19 2012, 07:23 PM   #95
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I wonder how much creative freedom productions made by Netflix and Amazon will allow or do they have their own Bermans?
Well, let's see how Netflix's revival of Arrested Development turns out but overall, I'd assume that original streaming productions are on par with original cable productions in being aimed at niche audiences and therefore won't have the dumbing-down pressure that afflicts broadcast so often.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 09:18 AM   #96
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Oh, thanks, I could've sworn I read that as someone's justification when the claim was being made that it was "Official Star Trek" by a poster here.
I believe Tim Russ is involved. That might be what you're thinking of.

OK, first off, no wonder Doug Drexel left. The designs are horrendous and look like 1920's pulp sci-fi fiction rather than retro 50's sci-fi as was promised.
I'd be just as happy with 1920s as with 1950s.
Old October 20 2012, 01:58 PM   #97
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Well according to their kickstarter page they want to use the completed pilot to pitch it as an official series to CBS, and if they're not interested, then make it as another fan film.
Old October 21 2012, 04:38 AM   #98
JD
Admiral

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
I believe Tim Russ is involved. That might be what you're thinking of.

OK, first off, no wonder Doug Drexel left. The designs are horrendous and look like 1920's pulp sci-fi fiction rather than retro 50's sci-fi as was promised.
I'd be just as happy with 1920s as with 1950s.
Honestly, I think I'd almost rather see 1920s. It doesn't seem to be quite as popular as '50s retro.
Old October 21 2012, 09:51 AM   #99
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

True. To the wider audience, 20s art deco would probably be so old that it's new again.
Old October 22 2012, 06:00 AM   #100
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

IIRC, the story covers multiple decades. It's possible that the style will evolve from the 1920's to the 1950's.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 04:17 PM   #101
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I was never really tempted to contribute to this - despite Doug's, Steve's and Andy's really impressive visual contributions to it, the project was sold on Kickstarter as all sizzle and no steak. You had a short list of talented creative people - now all departed - a setting, and a visual style.

Period.

I'm not sure how someone could complain about a change in premise, because nothing so complete as a story or series premise has ever been presented publicly. Setting does not equal premise, and even at this late point the available descriptions of the characters are names, putative ranks and a few broadly-sketched stereotypes.

It will find an an enthusiastic following of some shape and size. Everything does.
Plus it would be competing against your "Polaris" project, wouldn't it?
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 06:59 PM   #102
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Well according to their kickstarter page they want to use the completed pilot to pitch it as an official series to CBS, and if they're not interested, then make it as another fan film.
CBS would be the least likely place for it, their idea of sci fi is a show about a doctor/laywer who talks to angels/ghosts. Unless they mean any of CBS's properties - CW (which wouldn't want a show with geriatrics over the age of 25) or Showtime (if they did space opera, it would more likely be an adapation of a novel series with a fan following and some literary cachet.)

If they must go broadcast, they should aim for NBC, which is far more desperate and therefore likely to take risks, and their recent successes (Revolution and Grimm, which does well for Fridays) have been genre.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 08:22 PM   #103
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
CBS would be the least likely place for it, their idea of sci fi is a show about a doctor/laywer who talks to angels/ghosts. Unless they mean any of CBS's properties - CW (which wouldn't want a show with geriatrics over the age of 25) or Showtime (if they did space opera, it would more likely be an adapation of a novel series with a fan following and some literary cachet.)

If they must go broadcast, they should aim for NBC, which is far more desperate and therefore likely to take risks, and their recent successes (Revolution and Grimm, which does well for Fridays) have been genre.
Yabbut, CBS Owns Star Trek, so, it would have to be pitched through them.

Old October 22 2012, 08:29 PM   #104
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yabbut, CBS Owns Star Trek, so, it would have to be pitched through them.
Pretty much.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 11:05 PM   #105
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Here's a trailer they premiered at Comic Con this weekend: http://youtu.be/TpIpykYuhB8

Even keeping in mind that this stuff is all still unfinished, I have to say it looks kind of bad. I guess I was expecting something that's at least on the level of Star Trek Phase II, but this looks far more amateurish than that.