Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 13 2012, 03:41 AM   #916
StarCruiser
Commander

Re: Star Ship Polaris

The key is to face the problems head-on and plow on through...

Attitude makes more difference that almost anything else.
Old September 13 2012, 12:30 PM   #917
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Vektor wrote: View Post
By the way, the results of my MRI came back and everything was... wait for it... perfectly normal. On the up-side, I don't have a brain tumor. On the down-side, they still don't know exactly what the cause of all these problems has been. Regardless I have been doing a lot better for the last week or so, almost back to my old self, so I'm not complaining.
Deja Vu.

A few years back I had some funky health stuff, headaches, panic attacks, thought I might be having heart issues.

Went to a doctor, did the brain scan, it came up clear. Have enough acid reflux to cause me to lose my voice for about three months last year.

And I have a sporadic ringing in my ears....at various intervals it's been pretty loud...but the fact that it can go away means it's not the tinitus I feared it would be from torturing my ears at concerts for years.

Stress was determined to be a factor in the first two, and I'll lay good odds the ringing since I notice it to be more prominent when I'm really upset about something. So you if you haven't already ruled out stress, you may want to give it a thought.

At any rate, I hope you're feeling better.
Old September 14 2012, 03:55 AM   #918
StarCruiser
Commander

Actually - there's a not all that well known culprit in tinnitus cases - aspirin... Too much aspirin, specifically...
Old September 14 2012, 06:14 AM   #919
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Your experience sounds pretty close to mine, Lensman. The doctors wanted to diagnose my heart issues as stress-related generalized anxiety disorder, but I still don't think that quite fits. I have reason to think I may have either a thyroid or adrenal issue, which I'll be following up on in the near future.

As for the ringing ears and dizziness, I've had a hearing test and a consult with an ENT doctor. Apparently I have some high frequency hearing loss and possibly a problem with the semicircular canals in my left ear. The doc insisted that the ringing in my ears is a consequence of the hearing loss, which frankly makes little sense to me. If that were the case, I'd think it would be constant. I tried to tell the doc that and he insisted that it IS constant, I'm just able to tune it out occasionally. Sorry, but that's simply not the case. The ringing is very definitely NOT there at times, often when it should be most noticeable if it were indeed constant.

I'm scheduled for another CT scan next week to take a closer look at those semicircular canals, and a procedure in August called an ENG exam, which I gather is basically an equilibrium stress test. Hopefully something will turn up, but when your doctor is insisting to you that something is true when you know for a fact that it isn't and basing most of his diagnosis on that determination, it doesn't fill you with a lot of confidence. Much of this whole experience has been like that. I often get the feeling walking out of one doctor's office that I could walk into another's and they'd come up with a completely different diagnosis. Very frustrating, to say the least.

Anyway, now that this thread has turned into my own personal medical drama, I think I'd better start showing some more progress on Polaris. Hopefully will be able to do that in the next day or two.

Stay tuned.
Old September 14 2012, 03:53 PM   #920
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Vektor wrote: View Post
Anyway, now that this thread has turned into my own personal medical drama, I think I'd better start showing some more progress on Polaris. Hopefully will be able to do that in the next day or two.

Stay tuned.
Hear hear! More pretty pictures, please. And less squishy stuff that keeps us hypochondriacs lying awake at night.

Although it's good news that things don't look quite so grim for you, Vektor.
Old October 12 2012, 09:41 PM   #921
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Hey Vektor, hope you're doing okay?
Old October 20 2012, 05:50 AM   #922
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I'm finally getting the sails buttoned-up and finalized, including the articulating structural details. Still have a ways to go on this but I have committed to delivering it by the end of this weekend, so we'll see.

Old October 20 2012, 07:10 AM   #923
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Great as usual! Health doing better then?
Old October 20 2012, 06:51 PM   #924
Psion
Commodore

Yum! I can't wait to see the finished version animated and in action.

Dennis -- did you folks ever address whether there's sound in space in your production? Will Polaris make dramatic noises when she's on-screen?
Old October 21 2012, 04:39 AM   #925
Vektor
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Great as usual! Health doing better then?
Yes, my health situation is much better. They never did come up with a definite cause for any of it but nearly all of it has gone away over the last few weeks. Here's hoping none of it EVER comes back.
Old October 21 2012, 04:40 AM   #926
Vektor
Rear Admiral

This is the only WIP image for tonight. Lots of progress made today but this just shows a hint of it. More tomorrow.

Old October 21 2012, 06:30 AM   #927
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I was just poking around on your website looking at the old Grandeur sketches. You know, John Eaves should thank his lucky stars you didn't have a portfolio together when Trek production was looking to hire a design artist. I much prefer your style to his.
Old October 21 2012, 09:22 AM   #928
Santaman
Rear Admiral

^^ Agreed... Vektor never aims impulse engines at something important like nacelle pylons and on top of that always comes up with clean looks for his designs.

Good to hear your health has improved Vektor.

Polaris is looking great, me like BIG engines.. *grunt grunt*
Old October 22 2012, 06:39 PM   #929
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post
Dennis -- did you folks ever address whether there's sound in space in your production? Will Polaris make dramatic noises when she's on-screen?
Probably. We'll see when we get to sound mixing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 06:59 PM   #930
Psion
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
Probably. We'll see when we get to sound mixing.
Yay! I like sounds in space, even though I'm fully aware of the inaccuracies. Star Trek 2009 did a great job with space noises, using them to enhance the action where necessary, but also keeping it silent in scenes where it worked to convey a sense of isolation -- like the blowout scene on the Kelvin, or the bit where Kirk, Sulu, and Redshirt went skydiving from the shuttlecraft.