RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,841
Posts: 5,327,668
Members: 24,551
Currently online: 672
Newest member: Vargr1

TrekToday headlines

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 20 2012, 03:15 AM   #91
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

teacock wrote: View Post
If I want people's wild ass opinions about how the movie is fail because Quinto said it was a collaborative effort I can just stay right here in this thread, no need to google for more of it


That's all any of this is though, isn't it?

I'll tell you something else, people are talking about he death of a major character too, it wouldn't surprise me if like TWOK, that major character is Spock.

First movie, encounters major anomaly, defeats it. TMP/ST2009

Second movie, defeats major baddie, someone dies. TWOK/STID

Third movie, redemption, friendship and reunion. TSFS/TBA

I don't think this is lost on Abrams either, it's his nod to the TOS movies, what's more 'into darkness' than death? Spock dies a fiery death saving his shipmates.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 03:30 AM   #92
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

This will not happen. I'll bet you credits to navy beans.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 04:22 AM   #93
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
there are people even saying the film secrecy is over the top because the film sucks.
Who exactly is saying that? Some haters on livejournal?
No...it was trek fans who post comments on articles wriiten on trekmovie.com
Surprise, surprise.

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
I'm aware of this notion that the film absolutely stinks, I think it came from an interview with Quinto where he allegedly tries to distance his performance from that of the material he was given to work with, there was also some reporting around diva like behaviour on set; can I source it? No, I just know I've read it. The same can be said for the talking up of Cumberbatch's performance rather than the wider footprint of the movie.

So I wonder if that's the real issue, the film absolutely stinks?
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
[...]
So I wonder if that's the real issue, the film absolutely stinks?
Got you covered on the "diva" item, which was discussed here previously:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/gues...tar-trek-divas

(Note: The National Enquirer is a US-based trash tabloid with a decades-long tradition of inventing gossip about whichever celebrities or situations they figure will sell the most issues for that week.)

I'm not aware of any Quinto interview matching that description, though.
Well, the Inquirer thing could be anything, including a complete fabrication. Really, the only three people that make sense would be Quinto, Saldana, and/or Pine. Both Urban and Pegg have been in movies (and I know MI:GP was a hit), but I wouldn't say that they are "bigger stars" now because of them. For now, I'm just going to assume that this "report" is fake.

On the Quinto thing, it was probably this interview. He mentioned that it's in the hands of JJ and the writers/producers, etc., right now and that making a film is an "enormous collaboration," which is true. I think the part people might be talking about is this:

ZQ wrote:
We really do just sort of stand where they tell us to stand... but it's not all about us.
I think that's a very healthy take on things, but it does sound like "we did our jobs, now it's time for them to do theirs, and anything that happens now is up to them." It's not exactly distancing, but it goes back to what he said, that it's a collaborative effort and it's not all on the actors. Then you also have Cho doing an interview where he says the film "may be magnificent," lol. It's a nice statement, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. People will see soon enough.

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
I[...]

So I wonder if that's the real issue, the film absolutely stinks?
Got you covered on the "diva" item, which was discussed here previously:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/gues...tar-trek-divas

(Note: The National Enquirer is a US-based trash tabloid with a decades-long tradition of inventing gossip about whichever celebrities or situations they figure will sell the most issues for that week.)

I'm not aware of any Quinto interview matching that description, though.
Cool, cheers.

[...]

The Quinto thing, I think, was a series of posts on Trekmovie in response to an interview he did a few months ago, the general jist being he was seen to be distancing himself from what had taken place during filming. The overactive imagination of a few fans? Or a darker, deeper and more significant meaning?

Either way, I have a very weird feeling about this movie, bad publicity now could kill the box office and, ultimately, the franchise. I want to think it'll be fine but the complete news blackout seems to be covering something, good or bad.

Is JJ due a stinker? It happens to the best of them.
Okay, hopefully I can do you a favor here and just let you know that sometimes the comments section at websites is not the best place for you to draw your conclusions. I'm not trying to say anything too negative about anybody, but I know for a fact that that particular sight (at least when I was there) was not a bastion of moderate posting. Since that was the first Trek community I encountered (thanks to Google), I didn't know until much later that this was more the exception and not so much the norm. There's literally a little gang of people there that try to drive off anyone that disagrees with the main views held there. So, FWIW, I'd take that comments section with a LARGE grain of salt. This could be true for anywhere to be fair.

teacock wrote: View Post
Trekmovie is not that big that a search on key words would find it soon enough.

I'm suspecting Quinto said something humorously and a bunch of drama queens in the comments section went on a jag about how it sounded like he was distancing himself.
Probably. I just remember laughing because it sounded like "if anything's wrong with this film, don't blame the actors," but of course I didn't think he was saying that the film "sucked." That would be a stretch.

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Meh. To me it sounds like he was just looking for a way to worm his way into promoting the indie films he producing, probably looking for distributors or other producers.:

"Far more fulfilling, Quinto said, are the projects he is producing such as last year's critically heralded indie 'Margin Call'."
I mean, he's at a film festival, and he is a producer of indie films. Indie film producers are perpetually in search of distributors (or money in general), so of course he is going to try and use this article as a way of promoting his production efforts. I don't blame him.

He was speaking to "The Wrap" magazine and a judge at their indie film festival. He was considering the audience. He wasn't speaking to "Star Trek Magazine".
Yes, but he's been inaugurated into the role of "Spock," which he must learn is a lifetime commitment. That can be great or it can the equivalent of a roach motel. If being an actor hasn't taught him that "anything you say, can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion," then some Star Trek fans will, lol.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 04:59 AM   #94
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post

Who exactly is saying that? Some haters on livejournal?
No...it was trek fans who post comments on articles wriiten on trekmovie.com
Surprise, surprise.





Well, the Inquirer thing could be anything, including a complete fabrication. Really, the only three people that make sense would be Quinto, Saldana, and/or Pine. Both Urban and Pegg have been in movies (and I know MI:GP was a hit), but I wouldn't say that they are "bigger stars" now because of them. For now, I'm just going to assume that this "report" is fake.

On the Quinto thing, it was probably this interview. He mentioned that it's in the hands of JJ and the writers/producers, etc., right now and that making a film is an "enormous collaboration," which is true. I think the part people might be talking about is this:



I think that's a very healthy take on things, but it does sound like "we did our jobs, now it's time for them to do theirs, and anything that happens now is up to them." It's not exactly distancing, but it goes back to what he said, that it's a collaborative effort and it's not all on the actors. Then you also have Cho doing an interview where he says the film "may be magnificent," lol. It's a nice statement, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. People will see soon enough.



Okay, hopefully I can do you a favor here and just let you know that sometimes the comments section at websites is not the best place for you to draw your conclusions. I'm not trying to say anything too negative about anybody, but I know for a fact that that particular sight (at least when I was there) was not a bastion of moderate posting. Since that was the first Trek community I encountered (thanks to Google), I didn't know until much later that this was more the exception and not so much the norm. There's literally a little gang of people there that try to drive off anyone that disagrees with the main views held there. So, FWIW, I'd take that comments section with a LARGE grain of salt. This could be true for anywhere to be fair.



Probably. I just remember laughing because it sounded like "if anything's wrong with this film, don't blame the actors," but of course I didn't think he was saying that the film "sucked." That would be a stretch.

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Meh. To me it sounds like he was just looking for a way to worm his way into promoting the indie films he producing, probably looking for distributors or other producers.:

"Far more fulfilling, Quinto said, are the projects he is producing such as last year's critically heralded indie 'Margin Call'."
I mean, he's at a film festival, and he is a producer of indie films. Indie film producers are perpetually in search of distributors (or money in general), so of course he is going to try and use this article as a way of promoting his production efforts. I don't blame him.

He was speaking to "The Wrap" magazine and a judge at their indie film festival. He was considering the audience. He wasn't speaking to "Star Trek Magazine".
Yes, but he's been inaugurated into the role of "Spock," which he must learn is a lifetime commitment. That can be great or it can the equivalent of a roach motel. If being an actor hasn't taught him that "anything you say, can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion," then some Star Trek fans will, lol.
I don't know anyone who takes the comments section of an internet site seriously, me included. What is more interesting is themes, simularities and identifiable trends, the source is important but the general context is as interesting. Perhaps in the USA/UK, for example, there is too much emphasis on uncorroborated information (the invasion of Iraq because of WMD for example LOL) but certainly not here in NZ.

On that basis, and depending upon what you choose to believe, I think there's some negativity around this movie from within.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 05:26 AM   #95
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post

I don't know anyone who takes the comments section of an internet site seriously, me included. What is more interesting is themes, simularities and identifiable trends, the source is important but the general context is as interesting. Perhaps in the USA/UK, for example, there is too much emphasis on uncorroborated information (the invasion of Iraq because of WMD for example LOL) but certainly not here in NZ.

On that basis, and depending upon what you choose to believe, I think there's some negativity around this movie from within.
Oh, you all aren't immune. I think you just happen to think that's the case. And emphasis by whom? Everyone? How could you at all know that?

I think anyone, anywhere, can make claims that are uncorroborated or even outlandish. There's a lady from NZ at trekmovie (since that's the American site that started this part of the discussion) that wanted to believe that Kirk fans are all blondes that are outgoing and happy just because it made her feel good. Now, is that corroborated? And is that even a possible thing to do?

As for "themes, simularities and identifiable trends," that's something to leave to tabloids, imo. I just know what I think based off of what I read/see/hear from real sources. That's enough for me. I don't think I have the time (or interest) to track trends.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 06:40 AM   #96
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
There's a lady from NZ at trekmovie (since that's the American site that started this part of the discussion) that wanted to believe that Kirk fans are all blondes that are outgoing and happy just because it made her feel good.
It sounds like I've missed some good stuff by not reading over there!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 06:41 AM   #97
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post

I don't know anyone who takes the comments section of an internet site seriously, me included. What is more interesting is themes, simularities and identifiable trends, the source is important but the general context is as interesting. Perhaps in the USA/UK, for example, there is too much emphasis on uncorroborated information (the invasion of Iraq because of WMD for example LOL) but certainly not here in NZ.

On that basis, and depending upon what you choose to believe, I think there's some negativity around this movie from within.
Oh, you all aren't immune. I think you just happen to think that's the case. And emphasis by whom? Everyone? How could you at all know that?

I think anyone, anywhere, can make claims that are uncorroborated or even outlandish. There's a lady from NZ at trekmovie (since that's the American site that started this part of the discussion) that wanted to believe that Kirk fans are all blondes that are outgoing and happy just because it made her feel good. Now, is that corroborated? And is that even a possible thing to do?

As for "themes, simularities and identifiable trends," that's something to leave to tabloids, imo. I just know what I think based off of what I read/see/hear from real sources. That's enough for me. I don't think I have the time (or interest) to track trends.
She is from NZ therefore she is right, it's the Kiwi birthright to be cut off from the entire planet but know more about it than anyone. I say that as a Brit living in NZ. It's just the way they are!

They think LOTR is a Kiwi thing, for example.

Unrelated as it may be, the WMD dossier that the Iraq war was based upon was an uncorroborated disaster of innuendo and suggestion, if its good enough to go to war on, it's good enough to throw at Into Darkness.

Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 06:43 AM   #98
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

teacock wrote: View Post
Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
There's a lady from NZ at trekmovie (since that's the American site that started this part of the discussion) that wanted to believe that Kirk fans are all blondes that are outgoing and happy just because it made her feel good.
It sounds like I've missed some good stuff by not reading over there!
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 07:13 AM   #99
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

teacock wrote: View Post
Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
There's a lady from NZ at trekmovie (since that's the American site that started this part of the discussion) that wanted to believe that Kirk fans are all blondes that are outgoing and happy just because it made her feel good.
It sounds like I've missed some good stuff by not reading over there!
LOL, I can laugh now, but back then... And It's hard to believe now that I even had that discussion, which ran for days! I should have dropped it as soon as this "theory" (which conversely states that all Spock fans are brunettes that are fat, gothic, reclusive, and unhappy) was suggested by someone else there, and she latched on to it with a devoted passion. My excuse? Being in a chicken coop long enough will make you go "cluckin' crazy" if you don't watch out.


It's good to be here.

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post

I don't know anyone who takes the comments section of an internet site seriously, me included. What is more interesting is themes, simularities and identifiable trends, the source is important but the general context is as interesting. Perhaps in the USA/UK, for example, there is too much emphasis on uncorroborated information (the invasion of Iraq because of WMD for example LOL) but certainly not here in NZ.

On that basis, and depending upon what you choose to believe, I think there's some negativity around this movie from within.
Oh, you all aren't immune. I think you just happen to think that's the case. And emphasis by whom? Everyone? How could you at all know that?

I think anyone, anywhere, can make claims that are uncorroborated or even outlandish. There's a lady from NZ at trekmovie (since that's the American site that started this part of the discussion) that wanted to believe that Kirk fans are all blondes that are outgoing and happy just because it made her feel good. Now, is that corroborated? And is that even a possible thing to do?

As for "themes, simularities and identifiable trends," that's something to leave to tabloids, imo. I just know what I think based off of what I read/see/hear from real sources. That's enough for me. I don't think I have the time (or interest) to track trends.
She is from NZ therefore she is right, it's the Kiwi birthright to be cut off from the entire planet but know more about it than anyone. I say that as a Brit living in NZ. It's just the way they are!

They think LOTR is a Kiwi thing, for example.

Unrelated as it may be, the WMD dossier that the Iraq war was based upon was an uncorroborated disaster of innuendo and suggestion, if its good enough to go to war on, it's good enough to throw at Into Darkness.

Well, I've only interacted with the one NZ person, so I'll take your word for it. And yes, the WMD thing was an utter disaster. The people that wanted actual facts before going to war were steamrolled. I'd much rather that happen with a movie than a country.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 07:17 AM   #100
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post

They think LOTR is a Kiwi thing, for example.
I expect you made quick work of correcting these hussies. How dare they appropriate!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 07:32 AM   #101
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

teacock wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post

They think LOTR is a Kiwi thing, for example.
I expect you made quick work of correcting these hussies. How dare they appropriate!
I work with a NZ fellow who was reading one of the Tolkien LOTR books and who told me that he wished these film tie-ins books would be truer to the film that was shot. He didn't understand why I was laughing so much.

FML.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 07:34 AM   #102
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

I put that down to age, not country. The UK may have a proprietorial pride about LOTR so knowing where it comes from spans generations.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 07:38 AM   #103
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Mmm. I don't know. I thought everybody knew that the books came first. That had to have been covered with any "buzz" associated with the project.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 07:45 AM   #104
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Yes and Paul Macartny was in a band before Wings.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 07:55 AM   #105
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

teacock wrote: View Post
I put that down to age, not country. The UK may have a proprietorial pride about LOTR so knowing where it comes from spans generations.
Nah, he's a Kiwi, he genuinely believes that it's a product of NZ. They don't let a little thing like 'facts' or 'history' to disavow them of delusion.
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.