Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 18 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Thoughts on Fringe Season 5 so far (Beware of some spoilers)

• I admire the showrunners' commitment to 2036 Fringe as a concrete future for the whole season to explore instead of a what if episode to be glimpsed at for one episode like The Day We Died.
  • I'm liking the Etta character. She's as much of a badass as her parents. I find Peter and Olivia's relationship with her sweet. But I fear it's just a matter of time until Etta finds out about Olivia not searching for her like Peter was when she was a kid. My heart breaks at how that is going to go down between mother and daughter.
  • I don't see the search for the tapes lasting all season. Maybe half a season or a little more than that.
  • I really want to know what happened to September. Is he dead? Is he in limbo or in hiding? I really miss the guy.
What about you other Fringe watchers? What do you all think of Season 5 so far? Loving it or hating it?
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Thoughts on Fringe Season 5 so far (Beware of some spoilers)

I must say, I don't find it nearly as entertaining as previous seasons. One of the things that I loved about Fringe was the parallel universe. It made the show fun in a way that 2036 is not. Plus the approach to the observers seems strange to me. I assume that they are from a parallel future, otherwise why attack their own past? I must say, I never saw the Observers as neo-facist nazis.

I miss the fun weirdness from the earlier seasons. Plus, really, how many times can you mess with Walter's head?
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I haven't watched a single full episode of this season and I don't think I will, I checked out the season premiere, was bored, skipped ahead and then turned it off. I loved Fringe until the end of season three, I was angry at the changes they made for season four and now I just don't care anymore, it's no longer the show I used to like ... I don't love it, I don't hate it, I'm just indifferent, this has never happened before, usually if I like a show I like it until the end or I start to despise it and hate the later seasons with a passion. Not this time, I'm really done, I wish everyone who still likes the show fun and a kick ass finale.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 01:53 AM   #4
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I must say, I don't find it nearly as entertaining as previous seasons. One of the things that I loved about Fringe was the parallel universe. It made the show fun in a way that 2036 is not. Plus the approach to the observers seems strange to me. I assume that they are from a parallel future, otherwise why attack their own past? I must say, I never saw the Observers as neo-facist nazis.

I miss the fun weirdness from the earlier seasons. Plus, really, how many times can you mess with Walter's head?

I agree. I really don't like what they did to the observers. What's the point if following us for so many years just to randomly invade? It just doesn't seem to fit with the show at all.
Old October 20 2012, 04:35 AM   #5
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Well, maybe they were been spending time observing humanity for more ulterior motives that September was willing to admit or agree with. Maybe they were looking for weaknesses for them to exploit when they invade since their future world was ruined.
Old October 20 2012, 05:00 AM   #6
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

If they are from the future then why not just kill everyone in the past? Or if that can't work why not just go back and stop the Fringe team from forming. It doesn't make sense.
Old October 20 2012, 10:40 PM   #7
The Habs Fan
Commodore

This season kind of reminds me of the 5th seasons of EFC and Andromeda. No, it's not nearly as bad... yet. But, I don't think anyone can argue that this season of Fringe is a totally different show than what it was. Yes, Fringe changed every year, but never this drastically.

Again, this is not a knock on the quality as the first 2 episodes of season 5 were pretty good, but the 3rd was a bit blah. I just wonder how this season will be seen in hindsight.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Snick27
Captain

Takeru wrote: View Post
I haven't watched a single full episode of this season and I don't think I will, I checked out the season premiere, was bored, skipped ahead and then turned it off. I loved Fringe until the end of season three, I was angry at the changes they made for season four and now I just don't care anymore, it's no longer the show I used to like ... I don't love it, I don't hate it, I'm just indifferent, this has never happened before, usually if I like a show I like it until the end or I start to despise it and hate the later seasons with a passion. Not this time, I'm really done, I wish everyone who still likes the show fun and a kick ass finale.

I'm the same, though i havent watched any of this season and dont plan too.
Still pissed how the first 3 seasons meant nothing and all those stories like Alt Liv having that baby never got finished.
Plus i only liked the show too cause of the Alt universe. But season 4 just went in the wrong direction.

Oh well, to what could of been !!
Old October 21 2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

It's hard for me to form a solid opinion right now. As someone who's only recently started watching the series, and watched seasons 1-4 at rapid fire pace over a period of a couple of months (instead of watching one episode a time, week after week), things are still very fresh in my mind. And each time the show "reboots" itself, it derails the momentum that had been building and it leaves a poor taste in my mouth. I absolutely love seasons 1-3 but was initially frustrated with the timeline change in season 4. I eventually got over it, and was okay with the new status quo. However, the abrupt and dramatic shift into the future for season 5 just seems silly to me right now. Why did the writers decide to go in this direction? Why are the observers acting so... un-observer like? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that this is meaningful and there is a reason that they are choosing to end the series in this way, but it just feels so out of left field. I also really miss the parallel universe. I got the impression that it was key to the overarching story, but the way they just severed ties in season 4 was just... anticlimactic.

Until I see how season 5 plays out and how the series ends, I will withhold judgement. But so far things are just.... weird.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Procutus
Admiral

I can't help but wonder if whatever they do to repel the Observers and set things to right somehow triggers a complete, universe-reset - and we end up right where we started in the beginning.

I hope not, but I've just got this weird feeling.
Old December 29 2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Well, we're down to the final three episodes of the season. With most of the season behind us, have your opinions of it changed in a positive way or a negative way? And how do you think it will all end?
Old December 29 2012, 10:09 PM   #12
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

This season sucks. I just hope they undo just the season and not the whole show. It's clear they will go back and change the future from ever happening. I rather they explain more about the why this is all happening, but I have even up on that.
Old December 29 2012, 10:37 PM   #13
propita
Rear Admiral

I would not mind if there's a reset and Peter and Olivia are back at the park with little Etta--and then take in Michael. Trite, I know. But after all the shit they've gone through, I wouldn't mind a happy ending for them.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 11:54 PM   #14
jbohn
Commander

The show has been alright, but it just isn't FRINGE anymore.
Old December 30 2012, 02:42 AM   #15
degra
Fleet Captain

this show at best is mediocre Sci fi drama. I never really understood the cult following. Its standalones were watered down x files, its mythology never came together-Sam Weiss, the baby, the alternate universe, the observers and the payoffs were lame,,,case in point the end of season four. Season five has been nothing but filler and slow as a way to get thirteen episodes. Peters observerdom wasn't mined in an interesting manner. There are a ton of plotholes,,,an advanced race like the observers should be able to intercept cell phone calls and would have been monitoring Nina knowing her connection to Olivia and Walter. And if they can see the future they'll know what Walters plan is and go back in time and stop it.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote