Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 19 2012, 12:54 PM   #61
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: There's a trailer apparently.....

Well that settles it. JJ is committing Hollywood suicide with this secrecy and Star Trek is going to hell in three frames of flaming handbasket.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 01:35 PM   #62
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post

The only thing about nuTrek I hate is that there are no novels to tide me over between movies.
Those books need to be liberated.

Alan Dean Foster wrote a novel, Refugees, being the first novel. It was written in 2010, but yet to be published.

I'm hoping the trailer is seen with Skyfall.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 02:34 PM   #63
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Here are the synopsis of all four, along with cover art: http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/10/summ...g-this-summer/

The one I was most looking forward to was The Hazard of Concealing, which would have dealt with various powers (including Starfleet) wanting Spock Prime's future knowledge.

The novels have given Spock many adventures between and beyond STVI and "Unification". When the character survived STXI and was put on a bus, one of my first thoughts upon leaving the cinema was what continuing adventures he'd have in the novels set in this new timeline.
Old October 19 2012, 02:53 PM   #64
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
there are people even saying the film secrecy is over the top because the film sucks.
Who exactly is saying that? Some haters on livejournal?
No...it was trek fans who post comments on articles wriiten on trekmovie.com
People being haters. Since the film is so hush hush, they can't can't possibly know if the film sucks, so, they're just making it up, probably with some stupid naive belief that JJ will "HAVE" to call their bluff, and prove the film doesn't suck by ending the Hush Hush

Well that settles it. JJ is committing Hollywood suicide with this secrecy and Star Trek is going to hell in three frames of flaming handbasket.
Oh, cool, I'll still be able to see it on the ride (See my Signature)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 02:53 PM   #65
serenitytrek1
Commander

ElimParra wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post

The only thing about nuTrek I hate is that there are no novels to tide me over between movies.
Those books need to be liberated.

Alan Dean Foster wrote a novel, Refugees, being the first novel. It was written in 2010, but yet to be published.

I'm hoping the trailer is seen with Skyfall.

Read star fleet academy....they are fun novels for young adults and they explain lots of things for instance how spock and uhura began their relationship, more on MCcoy failed marriage and Kirk's attraction to Galia.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; October 19 2012 at 05:25 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 05:08 PM   #66
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
<snip>

SweEt heart your dead wrong....lets do a reality check shall we?

Reality check 1

The last time around was different as trek was coming back from the dead after the failure of nemesis and enterprise and if I remember correctly there was a trailer attached to quantum of solace which was released In November 2008. JJ’s Trek came out in may 2009.

So by this time 4 years ago, promotion had already begun for the first film.
By this time four years ago, it was still October; we'd just seen the very first substantial article about the movie only the day before, and our look at the first still photo of the new Enterprise wouldn't be until more than three weeks later.

Reality: checked

Reality check 2

Commerical Sucess: I will kindly ask you to do more research on trek films. Trek film has never been a huge box office draw overseas and even USA with the exception of the 09 film and the Voyage home. Paramount wants to change that and believe me secrecy is not going to help it. It is best to start promoting the film early.

If you think am wrong look at Iron man 3, after the huge success of Avengers you would think iron man wouldn’t need all the publicity and promotion anymore. Unfortunately that has not been the case. the campaign for the film has already begun even the film's plotline is already out

Also look at the john carter and super 8. Their promotions were quite poor and that hurt both films Box office success.
There's not one thing here which suggests that beginning promotion for the Star Trek film earlier would guarantee greater success.

You're not Paramount, and the people who are Paramount seem entirely willing to let Abrams make them another pile of money on the upcoming Trek film by doing things his way.

Iron Man 3 is Iron Man 3; it is not Star Trek and it is a Disney production besides.

Super 8 performed well with the promotion it got.

John Carter is another Disney entry, and was probably hurt more by production delays and personnel changes than anything; chances are it'll make up the shortfall anyway on cable showings, in DVD sales and in the international market.

Star Trek may go down that root if Paramount is not careful.

Reality Check 3

The only time secrecy works is when the studio does not want to promote the film early because they don’t want Film Critics reviewing the film.

Case in point another Paramount film called GI JOE. Botomline is Trek may be fun for us but to JJ and Paramount, it’s all about business and Trek needs all the publicity it can get if it is to become a huge success worldwide.

Next year is going to be crazy with films like Wolverine, Man of steel and Iron man 3. It will be sad if trek gets lost in the crowd as I strongly believe that TREK 2013 has a good chance of been the best film of next summer.....The best film of next summer that doesnt even get to be in the top five highest grossing film of the year 2013.

I hope that doesnt happen.
This is all just rambling and baseless speculation; there's no reality here to check.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 05:42 PM   #67
serenitytrek1
Commander

<snip>

SweEt heart your dead wrong....lets do a reality check shall we?

Reality check 1

The last time around was different as trek was coming back from the dead after the failure of nemesis and enterprise and if I remember correctly there was a trailer attached to quantum of solace which was released In November 2008. JJ’s Trek came out in may 2009.

So by this time 4 years ago, promotion had already begun for the first film.
By this time four years ago, it was still October; we'd just seen the very first substantial article about the movie only the day before, and our look at the first still photo of the new Enterprise wouldn't be until more than three weeks later.

Reality check 2

Commerical Sucess: I will kindly ask you to do more research on trek films. Trek film has never been a huge box office draw overseas and even USA with the exception of the 09 film and the Voyage home. Paramount wants to change that and believe me secrecy is not going to help it. It is best to start promoting the film early.

If you think am wrong look at Iron man 3, after the huge success of Avengers you would think iron man wouldn’t need all the publicity and promotion anymore. Unfortunately that has not been the case. the campaign for the film has already begun even the film's plotline is already out

Also look at the john carter and super 8. Their promotions were quite poor and that hurt both films Box office success.
There's not one thing here which suggests that beginning promotion for the Star Trek film earlier would guarantee greater success.

You're not Paramount, and the people who are Paramount seem entirely willing to let Abrams make them another pile of money on the upcoming Trek film by doing things his way.

Iron Man 3 is Iron Man 3; it is not Star Trek and it is a Disney production besides.

Super 8 performed well with the promotion it got.

John Carter is another Disney entry, and was probably hurt more by production delays and personnel changes than anything; chances are it'll make up the shortfall anyway on cable showings, in DVD sales and in the international market.

Star Trek may go down that root if Paramount is not careful.

Reality Check 3

The only time secrecy works is when the studio does not want to promote the film early because they don’t want Film Critics reviewing the film.

Case in point another Paramount film called GI JOE. Botomline is Trek may be fun for us but to JJ and Paramount, it’s all about business and Trek needs all the publicity it can get if it is to become a huge success worldwide.

Next year is going to be crazy with films like Wolverine, Man of steel and Iron man 3. It will be sad if trek gets lost in the crowd as I strongly believe that TREK 2013 has a good chance of been the best film of next summer.....The best film of next summer that doesnt even get to be in the top five highest grossing film of the year 2013.

I hope that doesnt happen.
This is all just rambling and baseless speculation; there's no reality here to check.

But the thing is no teaser trailer is going to be in the new film Bond film and secondly

why do you think superman returns didn’t have a part 2? it’s all about business. Sometimes the studio releases the movie first in international markets so that it can make as much money as it can before the USA release. Example of this scenarios are films like iron man 2 and avengers, they were both released a weak earlier in Europe before the USA release and there was so much promotion and campaign for the films overseas. Sometimes there is no guarantee that the USA box office will be good so they heavily promote the film in foreign markets.

And abut john carter....the marketing manger of the film got sacked because the film was marketed poorly leading it its hug flop.

star trek has struggled in foreign markets and I believe this over the top secrecy will could hurt its foreign market numbers more . No one knows this movie even exist in europe.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; October 19 2012 at 07:34 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 06:43 PM   #68
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

I'm aware of this notion that the film absolutely stinks, I think it came from an interview with Quinto where he allegedly tries to distance his performance from that of the material he was given to work with, there was also some reporting around diva like behaviour on set; can I source it? No, I just know I've read it. The same can be said for the talking up of Cumberbatch's performance rather than the wider footprint of the movie.

So I wonder if that's the real issue, the film absolutely stinks?
Transwarp Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 07:10 PM   #69
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
I'm aware of this notion that the film absolutely stinks, I think it came from an interview with Quinto where he allegedly tries to distance his performance from that of the material he was given to work with, there was also some reporting around diva like behaviour on set; can I source it? No, I just know I've read it. The same can be said for the talking up of Cumberbatch's performance rather than the wider footprint of the movie.

Filing started in January, and I've followed this Forum pretty throughly since before that, and I remember a thread where someone "claimed they heard about Diva behavior and fights on set", never seen anything aside that claim in that single thread about that. Never seen anything about an interview with Quinto where he tried to distance his performance from the material he was given to work with.

This is just folks making crap up on sites where false rumors of troubles flow like water, because they have nothing better to do.

People always try to make this claim that "No publicity 1 year or 6 months out means they know the movie sucks", and that's just garbage. The movie going General Audience doesn't have more than a 3 month attention span. Any money you spend marketing a movie before that is just wasted, and in fact can hurt you, because when the proper time for marketing comes along, it's old hat, and people have already moved on, before the movie even gets released. The only people who know or care about any movie this early on, are the folks like us, sniffing around for whatever kernel of anything comes around, and we don't need to be marketed to, we've got the debut day molded onto our DNA and will be there when it opens, with or without marketing

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 07:36 PM   #70
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Got you covered on the "diva" item, which was discussed here previously:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/gues...tar-trek-divas

(Note: The National Enquirer is a US-based trash tabloid with a decades-long tradition of inventing gossip about whichever celebrities or situations they figure will sell the most issues for that week.)

I'm not aware of any Quinto interview matching that description, though.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 10:26 PM   #71
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

why do you think superman returns didn’t have a part 2?
Not enough people from the general public liked it or went to see it.

Ditto "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace".

And "Insurrection" and "Nemesis".

I'm aware of this notion that the film absolutely stinks...
Hehehehehehe.

So JJ Abrams should be quaking that we think his secrecy means that the film really stinks and that thought alone will blackmail him into breaking the secrecy earlier than planned?

Hehehehehe.

No way Mr Quinto has trashed the new movie in an interview before it is released, nor will he "distance" himself from it. He's still under contract for one more film.

Transwarp Drive is dreaming. Some fans have been saying the whole trilogy will stink from the moment Bad Robot was announced as the production house. No news here.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; October 19 2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: tweaking
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 10:35 PM   #72
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

[QUOTE=serenitytrek1;7124941]

They cant do the same for trek because of JJ’s obsession with everything been tight lip . It could as well backfire on Paramount and hurt the film's commercial success.
I can guarantee you that Joe Average - the person who's money will make up most of the movie's box office - doesn't know or care that there isn't a trailer yet for Star Trek. Nor does he care about the "over the top" secrecy being employed by JJ and his staff. Get a grip.
Old October 19 2012, 11:20 PM   #73
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

We are the only people who care about a trailer for a film coming out 7 months from now. We being the hard core Trek fans who make up very little of the audience.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 11:31 PM   #74
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

Got you covered on the "diva" item, which was discussed here previously:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/gues...tar-trek-divas

(Note: The National Enquirer is a US-based trash tabloid with a decades-long tradition of inventing gossip about whichever celebrities or situations they figure will sell the most issues for that week.)

I'm not aware of any Quinto interview matching that description, though.
Cool, cheers.

I know I've read this stuff, it's unfortunate I can't place it but even if I could I'd be shot down. I read the diva behaviour somewhere else though. In NZ , I can't access the online source you've quoted, it was a few months ago though.

If there's one thing I stand by in life, it's that there's no smoke without fire and that usually where you hear things, particularly from a number of sources, they usually come to pass one way or the other. A self fulfilling prophecy? Who knows?

The Quinto thing, I think, was a series of posts on Trekmovie in response to an interview he did a few months ago, the general jist being he was seen to be distancing himself from what had taken place during filming. The overactive imagination of a few fans? Or a darker, deeper and more significant meaning?

Either way, I have a very weird feeling about this movie, bad publicity now could kill the box office and, ultimately, the franchise. I want to think it'll be fine but the complete news blackout seems to be covering something, good or bad.

Is JJ due a stinker? It happens to the best of them.
Old October 19 2012, 11:39 PM   #75
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

Transwarp Drive is dreaming. Some fans have been saying the whole trilogy will stink from the moment Bad Robot was announced as the production house. No news here.
Nah, I was repeating what I read previously, I'm not a alarmist in the sense that this is the rape of Trek etc either.

Of course I want it to be good, if it isn't, the chances are it's dead thereafter.