Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 18 2012, 07:47 PM   #31
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Re: Data's high-speed heroics

I wouldn't think the phaser would be allowed to pick its own target, but that it has a swivel emitter that can be moved by the person holding the gun. If it chose its own target how would it discern friend from foe?

Example, Data and Lore both wearing the same uniform. Neither is armed but in a struggle, they break apart, but only by a foot or less. The one with the phaser has determined which is Lore, but the phaser chooses Data instead.

Swivel emitter good, auto target, not always. Especially in close quarters, or trying to pick off one person out of many.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 10:25 PM   #32
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Maybe the phaser can detect its user's eye movement and can autorotate its emitter to lock on to whatever target the user is looking at?

(just don't get distracted by an ally running across the scene while pressing down the fire button! )
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 11:05 PM   #33
Leviathan
Commander

Vanyel wrote: View Post
I wouldn't think the phaser would be allowed to pick its own target, but that it has a swivel emitter that can be moved by the person holding the gun. If it chose its own target how would it discern friend from foe?

Example, Data and Lore both wearing the same uniform. Neither is armed but in a struggle, they break apart, but only by a foot or less. The one with the phaser has determined which is Lore, but the phaser chooses Data instead.

Swivel emitter good, auto target, not always. Especially in close quarters, or trying to pick off one person out of many.
I believe such a swivel-and-auto-target device is correctly referred to as a plot seeking guidance system.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 11:13 PM   #34
Dream
Admiral

Soong didn't create Data to be some kind of killing machine. Data certainly could be dangerous with his his enhanced abilities as shown by Lore, but that doesn't mean he never misses with a phaser or can kill a room full of people in seconds.

Data can move his fingers and arms very quickly, but he can only run at normal speeds.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 08:41 AM   #35
Timo
Admiral

Maybe the phaser can detect its user's eye movement and can autorotate its emitter to lock on to whatever target the user is looking at?
Or the user might point the gun at a group of targets, and the gun gently "buzzes" the user's hand at each potential target. The user then confirms with a keypress which target he wants to lock on to - and thereafter the beam will hit that target regardless of where the gun is pointing.

Is Data known to have missed with a hand phaser?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 10:45 AM   #36
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Timo wrote: View Post
Or the user might point the gun at a group of targets, and the gun gently "buzzes" the user's hand at each potential target. The user then confirms with a keypress which target he wants to lock on to - and thereafter the beam will hit that target regardless of where the gun is pointing.

Is Data known to have missed with a hand phaser?

Timo Saloniemi
I believe he has, Too Short a Season comes to mind as does Descent Part I. In both cases the opponents had cover.

He's not a made killing machine, but his specs, his hand eye coordination, his ability to gauge distance, and his speed and strength and resilience do make him a formidable opponent. If his life depended on it, or the lives of others, he could probably kill a room full of people easily and quickly too.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 12:07 PM   #37
Dream
Admiral

Lore beat Worf down in seconds in Datalore.

Data would be able to do the same. But of course Data is a pretty nice guy and would rather restrain than kill someone.
Old October 19 2012, 09:59 PM   #38
Mott the barber
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post

Data would be able to do the same. But of course Data is a pretty nice guy and would rather restrain than kill someone.

Except at the end of "The Most Toys"... or did he? I love the debate on that one.
Old October 19 2012, 11:49 PM   #39
Tiberius
Commodore

Mott the barber wrote: View Post

Except at the end of "The Most Toys"... or did he? I love the debate on that one.
That was just bad writing that had Data acting out of character.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 01:05 AM   #40
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

I hate the 'bad writing' argument. It did happen. Why Data acted that way is the question.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 01:14 AM   #41
Dream
Admiral

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
I hate the 'bad writing' argument. It did happen. Why Data acted that way is the question.
The episode is suppose to make you question what you would do if you had been in Data's place. If your kidnapper announced that he would kill others if you didn't do what he told you after already killing someone, what would you do?
Old October 20 2012, 01:39 AM   #42
Tiberius
Commodore

There's no justification for the way he acted.

However, further discussion in this thread would be taking it off topic. I'd be happy to discuss/debate it with you in another thread if you;d like to start one.
Old October 20 2012, 01:41 AM   #43
Dream
Admiral

Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post

However, further discussion in this thread would be taking it off topic. I'd be happy to discuss/debate it with you in another thread if you;d like to start one.
There's already a pretty long discussion about it right here

Old October 21 2012, 02:48 AM   #44
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

The episode is suppose to make you question what you would do if you had been in Data's place. If your kidnapper announced that he would kill others if you didn't do what he told you after already killing someone, what would you do?
Data would have been completely justified, really right from his first conversation with Kivas Fajo, in using his superior strength to take Fajo into custody. If necessary, tying him up with his own clothing, then assuming control of the ship, then communicating his situation to the Enterprise.

The ship's crew could be threaten with Fajo's being harmed, if they did not co-operate with Data. This too would have been justified by the events of the episode. Again, right from the beginning

And at the end of the episode, there is no way of telling if Data's intent was to kill Fajo, wounding a known murder and kidnapper in order to control him would have been reasonable. A nice jagged hole burned through Fajo's shoulder? Okay.

Controlling Fajo was the key to Data's freedom.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 07:47 AM   #45
Tiberius
Commodore

There's already a pretty long discussion about it right here

I know, I've already got many posts in that thread. :P