RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,825
Currently online: 582
Newest member: NX3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old October 18 2012, 09:35 PM   #31
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Film Makers Association

Alec, I am not being belligerent. I'm pointing out that you're not being fair. It's your right to do so. You don't like Vic, and your hatred of him seems to be fueling this. You accuse me of being belligerent shows that you want to make this a personal matter, and it's not. Frankly, I don't know Vic. I don't know you. But I know what I think is fair, and I know what I think is not.

Back to finding that damned reflector...
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 09:47 PM   #32
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Can we all just take a step back from our keyboards and take a breath.

No one is saying Continues are barred. As far as I'm aware, this is open to interested parties. As I've already said, I have no axe to grind, and friends on all sides.

Honestly, this drama needs to stop. And folks need to quit stoking the fires.
Old October 18 2012, 10:45 PM   #33
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Agreed Nick. The only person who said Continues was barred was Randy. I have said several times that I don't think Vic is interested in working with other people since he has done a great job of pissing every production I have worked with. (except Nick who is sparred the aggravation by the Atlantic Ocean!).

And Randy, I am being fair, You don't know shit about Vic or what he has done and so you are in no position to judge what is fair and what is not. You just don't like my opinion. The simple fact that Vic illegally withheld Phase II property is prima facie evidence that I am being fair.

Alec

Last edited by Linnear; October 18 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 12:13 AM   #34
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Would audio dramas be welcome in this collective? I've done some work for Darker Projects' Star Trek shows, and have had a story in mind for a few years that would create an opportunity for some of our fellow fan film characters to cameo throughout the history of Trek.

I'd basically resigned myself to the notion of reaching out to each of the actors we want directly, but if the infrastructure is in place to facilitate it, would we be welcome or is this strictly for video projects?
Old October 19 2012, 12:16 AM   #35
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Can we all just take a step back from our keyboards and take a breath.

No one is saying Continues are barred. As far as I'm aware, this is open to interested parties. As I've already said, I have no axe to grind, and friends on all sides.

Honestly, this drama needs to stop. And folks need to quit stoking the fires.
Quoted for truth and I completely agree.
Old October 19 2012, 12:50 AM   #36
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!! wrote: View Post
Would audio dramas be welcome in this collective? I've done some work for Darker Projects' Star Trek shows, and have had a story in mind for a few years that would create an opportunity for some of our fellow fan film characters to cameo throughout the history of Trek.

I'd basically resigned myself to the notion of reaching out to each of the actors we want directly, but if the infrastructure is in place to facilitate it, would we be welcome or is this strictly for video projects?

You know I haven't thought about this. I think we each have fundamentally different needs. The question might be WHAT do we have that you need and vice-versa. I am not sure there is any overlap.

Alec
Old October 19 2012, 01:00 AM   #37
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Linnear wrote: View Post

You know I haven't thought about this. I think we each have fundamentally different needs. The question might be WHAT do we have that you need and vice-versa. I am not sure there is any overlap.

Alec
Well, again - it's about the infrastructure of communication. I know for a fact there has been crossover before - half the cast of "The Section 31 Files" appeared at the end of Intrepid's pilot; Eric Busby and Karl Puder, staples of the Darker Projects audio productions have done numerous appearances on Hidden Frontier in both voice-over and on-screen roles.

And besides, I don't see why there needs to be such an exclusivity to this. Surely if your goal is to make production as easy as possible, you would want to be welcoming folks from any and all groups putting out new content. Darker Projects has been doing audio dramas for at least the last six years, boasting a wide range of professional and up-and-coming voice talent and actors. Surely that would have some value?

And, somewhat relatedly - who's running this "Fan Film Association" - is it by committee? Who decides, ultimately, what constitutes membership eligibility or not? I realize an audio drama isn't a film, but both endgames are basically aiming for the same result.

I guess what I'm wondering is, from the wording of your last reply here, are you saying that audio dramas would not be welcome to the association because of the limited ability of what we would have to offer the fan films, even though there are things the fan films would be able to do for us?

I'm not asking for freebies, but then again I don't understand why there's a hesitation to share. In your very first post in this thread you wrote:

The whole idea has been to share resources, including talent, sound stages, assets, marketing and more. We truly believe a rising tide raises all ships and we believe in helping each other. We all want to do anything we can to see each other successful. If you can buy into that, we would love to have you.
and....

SOME BASIC PRINCIPLES

1. We share people and personnel by introducing our team to other productions.

2. We share marketing ideas and promotion on our websites / Facebook pages.

3. We share our sets and sound stages, expecting that guest productions pay the basic expenses for the time used.

4. We share ideas, exchange information, and help however we can.
The very first item on your list is exactly what I was inquiring about. There's all this lofty language about wanting to help each other and benefit from each other's experience and resources, to introduce each other to each other, and what not ... so I'm a little unclear about if/why this would suddenly not be the case, just because we're in a different format.

Last edited by doubleohfive; October 19 2012 at 01:16 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 01:07 AM   #38
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

As somebody who is increasingly becoming a fan of audio Trek, let me suggest that MANY of the fan films could benefit from better audio. The audio people get the sounds and mood from music and mixing down right more often than the film folk, who also have to handle the video, do. I actually think the films might benefit more from the audio people than vica versa.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 01:09 AM   #39
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

I'm monitoring this thread very carefully. Ready to take Moderater-ly action if this looks like it's going to spin out of control.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 01:17 AM   #40
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Well, again - it's about the infrastructure of communication. I know for a fact there has been crossover before - half the cast of "The Section 31 Files" appeared at the end of Intrepid's pilot; Eric Busby and Karl Puder, staples of the Darker Projects audio productions have done numerous appearances on Hidden Frontier in both voice-over and on-screen roles.

And besides, I don't see why there needs to be such an exclusivity to this. Surely if your goal is to make production as easy as possible, you would want to be welcoming folks from any and all groups putting out new content. Darker Projects has been doing audio dramas for at least the last six years, boasting a wide range of professional and up-and-coming voice talent and actors. Surely that would have some value?

And, somewhat relatedly - who's running this "Fan Film Association" - is it by committee? Who decides, ultimately, what constitutes membership eligibility or not? I realize an audio drama isn't a film, but both endgames are basically aiming for the same result.

I guess what I'm wondering is, from the wording of your last reply here, are you saying that audio dramas would not be welcome to the association because of the limited ability of what we would have to offer the fan films, even though there are things the fan films would be able to do for us?

I'm not asking for freebies, but then again I don't understand why there's a hesitation to share. In your very first post in this thread you wrote:

There's all this lofty language about wanting to help each other and benefit from each other's experience and resources, to introduce each other to each other, and what not ... so I'm a little unclear about if/why this would suddenly not be the case, just because we're in a different format.

Dude, CHILL THE FRAK OUT. I was asking a question, not saying no. What is with all the belligerence on this forum? Is it possible on this forum to have a discussion without one party getting all aggressive and obnoxious. And yes, I found your post obnoxious and insulting.

So CHILL OUT. I am getting a little sick of being attacked for my good work in setting up this association. And yes, I set it up and got the other players involved. And we will all make decisions together.

I asked a question, because I am unclear of how a video production can help an audio production. I asked you to enlighten me not question my motives. The whole idea is to share assets and information, so I am trying to understand what a video production can provide to an audio drama and vice a versa.

If you can answer that question without going ballistic on me and questioning my motives, I will be happy to engage you. If you continue to act otherwise I will tell you to go form the Star Trek Audio Makers Association.

Alec
Old October 19 2012, 01:21 AM   #41
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

There's all this lofty language about wanting to help each other and benefit from each other's experience and resources, to introduce each other to each other, and what not ... so I'm a little unclear about if/why this would suddenly not be the case, just because we're in a different format.

Dude, CHILL THE FRAK OUT. I was asking a question, not saying no. What is with all the belligerence on this forum? Is it possible on this forum to have a discussion without one party getting all aggressive and obnoxious. And yes, I found your post obnoxious and insulting.

So CHILL OUT. I am getting a little sick of being attacked for my good work in setting up this association. And yes, I set it up and got the other players involved. And we will all make decisions together.

I asked a question, because I am unclear of how a video production can help an audio production. I asked you to enlighten me not question my motives. The whole idea is to share assets and information, so I am trying to understand what a video production can provide to an audio drama and vice a versa.

If you can answer that question without going ballistic on me and questioning my motives, I will be happy to engage you. If you continue to act like an hurt child I will tell you to go form the Star Trek Audio Makers Association.

Alec
Alec, I do not think I am the one who needs to "CHILL THE FRAK OUT" here.

Where did I "act like a hurt child" ?

I asked questions of you because the wording if your previous post indicated you needed me to expound on my original query.

So I did.

I gave reasons why we would be interested in networking with the network.

I cited previous examples of audio personnel working with fan film personnel.

There's no need to fall on your sword here as if my actual, relevant questions regarding my inquiry were in any way attacking you personally.

I'd love to engage you on this, so lets discuss. There's no need to be petulant.

Last edited by doubleohfive; October 19 2012 at 01:33 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 04:14 AM   #42
Captain Atkin
Commander

I've worked on both audio dramas and fan films. One of the "fan" audio dramas I did is being turned into a short animated film right now (Masters of the Universe: The Dark Tower). Personally, i feel that if it isn't being shown in a visual format, it can't really be called a "film", so that would technically exclude audio dramas from being part of a fan film co-operative. However, I do think that it is a good idea to try to use actors, musicians, writers, etc, from fan film groups when possible.

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!!: Perhaps you should create a Star Trek (Fan) Audio Drama Association?
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 04:40 AM   #43
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Darker Projects is, for all intents and purposes an audio drama network for both fan productions and original content, so that ground's been covered.

Also, I don't see why it has to be relegated to "films" only - this forum is for fan productions, so I'm not seeing any reason beyond "because we say so" to justify why this association would be excluding us. Nobody seems to be able to provide a concrete reason for doing so, and honestly, I thought this community had moved past that.

My main concern and query here was whether or not this new "association" would include audio dramas under its umbrella and listed my reason why. Clearly it won't be doing that, and it's a shame to see such a nice idea already in its infancy being so closed-minded.

On a different note, Linnear, you might want to work on developing a thicker skin. Or at the very least, learn how to manage the queries directed to you in a less hostile manner. Part of being a leader is knowing that you have to deal with everyone, not just the people you want to deal with. Your conduct here has been disheartening, and frankly the whole "screw you guys, this is my sandbox" attitude is not unusual for the fan film community, but is especially disappointing coming from the guy who would, ostensibly be the voice of all the fan films. Dennis, Greg, Randy, Nick -- I can ask these guys anything and I wouldn't ever get the kind of passive-aggressive hostility you've demonstrated in this thread when people have dared to ask you simple questions.

Lastly, it's disappointing to me because of the blatant disregard it shows toward the many talented voice actors, audio mixers, producers and writers in audio drama production - not just at Darker Projects but at all the organizations in the field. Perhaps if more fan films actually knew what they were doing when it came to audio it would be less of an irony, but as has been pointed out, audio is frequently embarrassingly bad when it comes to most fan films, so you'd think an avenue toward knowing and interacting with people who actually understand the craft would present some kind of value. I guess not.
Old October 19 2012, 04:41 AM   #44
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post

I've worked on both audio dramas and fan films. One of the "fan" audio dramas I did is being turned into a short animated film right now (Masters of the Universe: The Dark Tower). Personally, i feel that if it isn't being shown in a visual format, it can't really be called a "film", so that would technically exclude audio dramas from being part of a fan film co-operative. However, I do think that it is a good idea to try to use actors, musicians, writers, etc, from fan film groups when possible.

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!!: Perhaps you should create a Star Trek (Fan) Audio Drama Association?
It could be a Star Trek Fan Drama Association (that would also include live theater)
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 04:52 AM   #45
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Doubleoh, I guess you have decided to start your own Association, because you clearly don't know how to build a relationship. Attacking me over and over isn't the way to win me over. I asked you a question and was open to working with audio dramas, but YOU ruined it by attacking me. And then you attacked me two more times. Why all the belligerence?

My record is pretty clear with the founding productions, all of whom I have helped and asked nothing in return. You have only proven to be just one more guy who attacks people on the Internet. Good luck. We will stick to film productions.

Alec