Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old October 17 2012, 06:50 PM   #16
lurok
Commodore

Re: Voyager rebooted as a movie

No. Thank you.
Old October 17 2012, 08:03 PM   #17
laika
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would love to see a VOY movie...the only character I could not handle seeing a dif actor play would be Janeway. However, I think I'd like to see Voyager in a different, new story, as in, not a retelling of the series.
Old October 17 2012, 08:58 PM   #18
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
Maybe I just "don't get it" but I never understood the popular desire for reboots and retellings of the same stories? I'd rather see something new and original that I don't have preconceived notions of and might not be able to guess how it ends right away.
I'm not sure I can describe it adequetely. Seeing the same stories retold, or new versions of them, really appeals to me. Rather than have something I like fade away and be forgotten, I like seeing what another production team's interpretation of the characters and world is like. It also gives the characters a bit of immortality. That they're bigger than the actors who portrayed them originally.

Lynx wrote:
No, no, no!
And no again!
I sincerely hope that I never have to see Voyager rebooted as a movie. The thought of seeing other actors than Mulgrew, Lien, Beltran and the others is totally out of the question for me.
But isn't a different actor playing the part the same as, say, the different interpretations we already get of the characters in the novels? No two writers see them the same. I've read about Spocks who hide raging emotions behind a veil of calm, and ones who barely remember what feelings are like.

Heck, no two Voyager TV writers wrote Janeway the same, and it showed!
Old October 17 2012, 10:56 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Heck, no two Voyager TV writers wrote Janeway the same, and it showed!
Well this is the best selling point for a Voyager movie. A good chance of Janeway being able to act consistently for two hours straight.
Old October 17 2012, 11:31 PM   #20
BirdInJetstream
Lieutenant Commander

I'd love to watch a Voyager movie. But I'd prefer a new story. And about the cast? Let's be realistic: characters like Kim, Kes, Neelix and Chakotay will be comparatively small roles again if the writers are the same as for the tv show. So I wouldn't mind the same actors...
Old October 18 2012, 12:54 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Have you seen these people nowadays? Some recasting is definitely in order. Unless they are all playing Admirals.. a ship full of Admirals. Except Kim of course.

Picardo, he could still be the EMH. He looks great and there's all kinds of reasons he cold be older looking. Perhaps he wants to keep up with an older lover, or more likely he gets it into his subroutines that he'll get more respect that way.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 02:14 AM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Sure.

Outside of Picardo and Russ, the acting couldn't be any worse.
Old October 18 2012, 02:41 AM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
Maybe I just "don't get it" but I never understood the popular desire for reboots and retellings of the same stories? I'd rather see something new and original that I don't have preconceived notions of and might not be able to guess how it ends right away.
I'm not sure I can describe it adequetely. Seeing the same stories retold, or new versions of them, really appeals to me. Rather than have something I like fade away and be forgotten, I like seeing what another production team's interpretation of the characters and world is like. It also gives the characters a bit of immortality. That they're bigger than the actors who portrayed them originally.
Agreed. I love to watch and compare multiple versions of the same story; in a way, it adds to the viewing experience and gives you more to mull over afterwards. It's interesting to see how the same stories and characters are interpreted by different actors, and in different eras. I mean, just compare the Disney version of DR. SYN to the Hammer Films version with Peter Cushing. You'd never know they were based on the same source material!

I guess, in a way, it depends on whether you want to focus on the plot or the aesthetics/execution.

An odd comparison: Is anyone else watching HOT SET on Syfy? One of things I find fascinating about the show is how they can give the same script and setup to two different production designers, who usually end up going in completely different directions when it comes to visualizing the scene.

It's the same sort of thing. Here's VOYAGER (or whatever). What else can you do with this raw material?

Last edited by Greg Cox; October 18 2012 at 03:43 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 04:36 AM   #24
GSnail
Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about trying to tell the whole story of voyager in one movie. I just don't think it would work. There are basically three possibilities.
AU prequel, like nutrek. They do the starting off thing, but its in a different universe so it is different.
A long episode. The movie takes place during the seven years they are lost, and its like the two part episodes, only more movie-ish.
An after movie. It takes place after they get home, and probably something happens and the universe conspires to bring the crew back together to save the day.

Personally, I like the first. It would be cool to see how it woul work with different interpretations of the same characters
Old October 18 2012, 04:47 AM   #25
teacake
Admiral

I like the first too. Redoing Caretaker as AU. OR redoing it as NuBSG where you really step outside of the Trek box. I'm kind of suspecting something like that (but not with VOY) will happen in the next ten years. The lack of dark violent sexy grit in Trek will be seen as a deficit to be fixed.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 18 2012, 05:43 PM   #26
lurok
Commodore

I still wouldn't want a Voyager-as-exists remake. But x years/decades down the line, I wouldn't be averse to a JJ-flavour reboot. That would give it enough time to look and feel completely fresh.
Old October 18 2012, 09:18 PM   #27
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Lynx wrote:
No, no, no!
And no again!
I sincerely hope that I never have to see Voyager rebooted as a movie. The thought of seeing other actors than Mulgrew, Lien, Beltran and the others is totally out of the question for me.
But isn't a different actor playing the part the same as, say, the different interpretations we already get of the characters in the novels? No two writers see them the same. I've read about Spocks who hide raging emotions behind a veil of calm, and ones who barely remember what feelings are like.

Heck, no two Voyager TV writers wrote Janeway the same, and it showed![/QUOTE]

It's not the same thing. When I read one of my beloved Voyager books, I can "see" the characters from the TV series. I also manage to sort out the contradictions which can be found in some books.

If I have to watch a re-booted Voyager movie or series, then the whole thing is ruined for me because what I see on screen will not be the Voyager characters as I imagine them.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 09:42 PM   #28
teacake
Admiral

The stuff you love now will be ruined?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 18 2012, 11:16 PM   #29
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But wouldn't you love to see Richard Gere and Julia Roberts up on the screen together again?

Rick has always seemed a to have near illuminant degree of burnt sienna complexion, so he could fake being native American easily.

Good lord! Imagine Julia's Bun!

It would be like a basketball glued to her crown.

(Sandra Bullock and Hugh grant?)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 11:41 PM   #30
teacake
Admiral

At least you didn't say Hugh Grant and Meg Ryan.

Not that the suggestions you give aren't execrable, it's just possible to actually do worse.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne