Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old October 18 2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek Film Makers Association

I added some basic principles to the first post. These are what we talked about on our initial conference call.

SOME BASIC PRINCIPLES

1. We share people and personnel by introducing our team to other productions.

2. We share marketing ideas and promotion on our websites / Facebook pages.

3. We share our sets and sound stages, expecting that guest productions pay the basic expenses for the time used.

4. We share ideas, exchange information, and help however we can.
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

First, John: Actually, he does say it although he tried to put it on Vic:
Star Trek Continues clearly has no interest in working with anyone as their executive producer continues to bad mouth Phase II and Axanar. So he is excluding himself.
Rather than let Vic decide whether or not Star Trek Continues will participate, Alec has decided it for him.

The second, is that he's accusing me of manufacturing "drama" when all I'm doing is stating that Project: Potemkin will not be a part of a group that is not open to all. That's as simple as I can make it.

Third, I have a right to examine and comment on all matters posted in this group provided I do so in a polite and reasonable manner (as determined by Greg and T'Bonz). Alec's subsequent comments have indicated that he would rather I not participate in the discussion in a critical manner. Sorry, that's not going to happen; I want to see this group, but I want to see it open to everyone, including Star Trek Continues. That suggests that we need a neutral party in charge. I also would prefer someone who does not try to stifle honest criticism.

Lastly, I would also suggest that the title of the association be changed to "Star Trek Fan Film Makers Association" to avoid the problem of CBS Studios/Legal from pointing out that it looks "official" which would be a violation of their terms and conditions.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:26 PM   #18
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
First, John: Actually, he does say it although he tried to put it on Vic:
Star Trek Continues clearly has no interest in working with anyone as their executive producer continues to bad mouth Phase II and Axanar. So he is excluding himself.
Rather than let Vic decide whether or not Star Trek Continues will participate, Alec has decided it for him.

The second, is that he's accusing me of manufacturing "drama" when all I'm doing is stating that Project: Potemkin will not be a part of a group that is not open to all. That's as simple as I can make it.

Third, I have a right to examine and comment on all matters posted in this group provided I do so in a polite and reasonable manner (as determined by Greg and T'Bonz). Alec's subsequent comments have indicated that he would rather I not participate in the discussion in a critical manner. Sorry, that's not going to happen; I want to see this group, but I want to see it open to everyone, including Star Trek Continues. That suggests that we need a neutral party in charge. I also would prefer someone who does not try to stifle honest criticism.

Lastly, I would also suggest that the title of the association be changed to "Star Trek Fan Film Makers Association" to avoid the problem of CBS Studios/Legal from pointing out that it looks "official" which would be a violation of their terms and conditions.
Randy:

First, Vic's actions have proven he is incapable of being a constructive member of the community. He has illegally withheld property that is not his and he constantly bad mouths Phase II and Axanar. And so it is highly doubtful that Vic would be interested. You want him included why? Because you approve of his actions?

Second, that is your first post where you decided not to be part of the group, which, based on your posts here and previously does not surprise me. You don't seem interested in sharing or being helpful, just creating drama Which you are very good at.

Finally, my record in a short period of time of helping other productions is pretty clear. That is what the group is about, being helpful. You clearly can't get on board with that concept.

I don't stifle criticism, I just call it as I see it.

Alec
Old October 18 2012, 07:30 PM   #19
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

All:

So we can conduct our business in a professional manner free of the typical forum nonsense and drama, I have started a Facebook group. Please send me a message on Facebook, where I am Alec Peters and I will add you to the group. I think I am friends with most of you already. You are all welcome, if you agree to the above listed principles.

This is about sharing and helping each other.

Alec
Old October 18 2012, 07:37 PM   #20
Captain Atkin
Commander

Hey Randy,

I hear where you are coming from, but I also think that if Vic & company ever want to become part of this association, they will let it be known. None of us can really speak on their behalf.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; October 18 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:44 PM   #21
USS Intrepid
Commodore

May I suggest that if you have a personal issue, you please take it to PM. This is supposed to be a friendly discussion, and I'd rather like to see it continue in that fashion.
Old October 18 2012, 08:11 PM   #22
Tom
Rear Admiral

I do hope that all parties can come to a mutual understanding. Your projects exist to entertain other Star Trek fans, not compete. I to know people from both groups and it is sad to see this type of stuff go on.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 08:32 PM   #23
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Tom wrote: View Post
I do hope that all parties can come to a mutual understanding. Your projects exist to entertain other Star Trek fans, not compete. I to know people from both groups and it is sad to see this type of stuff go on.
Sadly, there is no mutual understanding to be had. Vic Mignogna talks shit constantly about James Cawley, Phase II, and myself. He takes it as his personal mission to bad mouth us to anyone who will listen. I have heard this from many people. Most of those people refuse to do business with Vic because of this. I don't expect him to change or "see the light".

And as I said, I am very good friends with Todd Haberkorn (Spock in STC) and Grant Imahara (Sulu) is a customer of mine. I wish them the best. I really do. But we don't need Vic's poisonous attitude towards others in a group dedicated to helping each other. And I dare say most of the Founders feel the same way because they have dealt with Vic.

I would prefer to talk about the positives and all the good people in Star Trek filming making than the one or two people we aren't doing business with.

Alec
Old October 18 2012, 08:37 PM   #24
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Linnear wrote: View Post
First, Vic's actions have proven he is incapable of being a constructive member of the community. He has illegally withheld property that is not his and he constantly bad mouths Phase II and Axanar. And so it is highly doubtful that Vic would be interested. You want him included why? Because you approve of his actions?
Nope. I refuse to take sides in matters like that.

Second, that is your first post where you decided not to be part of the group, which, based on your posts here and previously does not surprise me. You don't seem interested in sharing or being helpful, just creating drama Which you are very good at.
Frankly, I don't think you know what you're talking about. Unless you've decided you and you alone are going to decide who's in the group rather than be an open group, then yes, you can count me out. However, if you extend an open invitation to all Star Trek Fan Film Makers, then you can count me in.

Finally, my record in a short period of time of helping other productions is pretty clear. That is what the group is about, being helpful. You clearly can't get on board with that concept.
I don't see anything you've said in this post as helpful. You've decided you're going to deny Star Trek Continues membership in your group. You've falsely claimed I trying to create drama when all I'm interested in is fairness.

I don't stifle criticism, I just call it as I see it.
You plainly told me not to post here, and now you've plainly stated you're going to start a Facebook group where you won't allow civil discourse.
Old October 18 2012, 08:43 PM   #25
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
I hear where you are coming from, but I also think that if Vic & company ever want to become part of this association, they will let it be known. None of us can really speak on their behalf.
But Alec is, and he's being absolutely ugly to Vic.

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
May I suggest that if you have a personal issue, you please take it to PM. This is supposed to be a friendly discussion, and I'd rather like to see it continue in that fashion.
I don't have a personal issue with anyone. I'm speaking for the folks who will not be allowed in the group due to Alec's personal biases.

Tom wrote: View Post
It is, Tom, and I've seen it going on since we decided to produce our own Star Trek fan film production. The animosity Alec has toward Vic is palpable, as exemplified by this statement:

Sadly, there is no mutual understanding to be had. Vic Mignogna talks shit constantly about James Cawley, Phase II, and myself. He takes it as his personal mission to bad mouth us to anyone who will listen. I have heard this from many people. Most of those people refuse to do business with Vic because of this. I don't expect him to change or "see the light".
And as I said, I am very good friends with Todd Haberkorn (Spock in STC) and Grant Imahara (Sulu) is a customer of mine. I wish them the best. I really do. But we don't need Vic's poisonous attitude towards others in a group dedicated to helping each other. And I dare say most of the Founders feel the same way because they have dealt with Vic.
Then let them come here and bad mouth Vic as you've done on their behalf.

I would prefer to talk about the positives and all the good people in Star Trek filming making than the one or two people we aren't doing business with.
Sorry, but your statements are incongruous.
Old October 18 2012, 08:47 PM   #26
Tom
Rear Admiral

I don't know Vic at all, I do know Chris Doohan and Mike and John from Farragut, all nice people.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 08:59 PM   #27
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Frankly, there's already an unpleasant tone emerging here and too much posturing, so I'm going to steer clear of this and instead focus on direct relationships. Good luck.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 09:02 PM   #28
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I agree, Maurice. I've said all that needs to be said.

Besides, we're shooting Saturday, and I've got to start packing up the camera equipment.
Old October 18 2012, 09:05 PM   #29
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

I'm reading this to say this group will be by invitation only. If so, I invite you to look over the many Star Trek Fan Film group at STR, but I will not be giving it a Headline.

I am not objecting to "by invitation only." Entirely aside from the personal issues being discussed on this thread, there are other reasons to make it by invitation only:

1) The majority of groups that undertake making Star Trek fan films never do. They could easily take and harm other people's property, and never pay for it, never return it, and never produce anything. You might want to give one another discounts because you all offer props, sets, and know-how, but not give discounts to people who are not from within this group.

2) There is a vast variety of quality in Star Trek Fan Films. You might be surprised at just how much work went into some of the films you might think were done quickly and cheaply. I don't want to identify who I am speaking about (I've never seen the person on this BB) but I am thinking of a film I watched and I thought was thrown together over at most a few weeks and I later found out represented over three years of work. When I spoke with this person, it was clear that he was very serious, but not very knowledgeable or talented about filmmaking. (NO, I'm not talking about myself, but I COULD be, given my own level of knowledge and talent in this area).

3. It's easier to settle on rules for a limited group.

Concerning badmouthing, let's just say I've gotten plenty of PMs badmouthing people who probably don't know they are being badmouthed judging from the kindhearted comments I've gotten from those people about the badmouthers. I'm sure there are many nasty comments about Star Trek Reviewed I never hear because I always invite people to use my research and make up their own website... what they intended was for me to put in a year of full-time work to upgrade STR to the quality they want. (For those of you who are thinking ... "geeze, how'd she know I thought that?" I'm not an idiot, I know a lot of people who offer more limited listings have nicer websites. Mine is quantity, not quality, and I don't deny it. And I have no problem being the source for somebody who wants to make a better website. The more publicity for these films, the better.)
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 09:17 PM   #30
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Randy, I don't know why you have such a belligerent attitude. This is meant to be fun, and you are very good at creating drama and squeezing the fun out of fan film making.

We are on Facebook for anyone who wants to share information and be helpful to each other. That is fun. I have already become good friends with people from 4 productions because of that attitude. Internet whining and bitching just makes you look like an ass and gains you no friends.

Alec