New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 18 2012, 07:14 PM   #16
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Re: Forgive me if this has been discussed before...

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!! wrote: View Post
It's funny. I've long felt that with the exception of River Song, it's very much like when series 5 started, they basically started a completely different series, or maybe a spinoff. We still get references to the old series and the RTD era stuff but at the same time, it all feels different too.
I agree, it feels different. But, perhaps y'all are right and this is just normal.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:32 PM   #17
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
It's funny. I've long felt that with the exception of River Song, it's very much like when series 5 started, they basically started a completely different series, or maybe a spinoff. We still get references to the old series and the RTD era stuff but at the same time, it all feels different too.
I agree, it feels different. But, perhaps y'all are right and this is just normal.
Yea, pretty much, that's how the Classic Series ran for 26 Series, and the New Series has run for 7 Series and still going strong. The show is constantly evolving, changing Companions, Changing Doctors, Changing Show Runners and thereby keeping itself fresh and not same old same old. Even when they do a similar story that has been done before, it's different by virtue of the Show Runner, Companions and Doctor Actor who are doing that story.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:53 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

And with all the changes, you might not like a particular Doctor, but you know in a few years time they'll be another one.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 12:25 AM   #19
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, pretty much, that's how the Classic Series ran for 26 Series, and the New Series has run for 7 Series and still going strong. The show is constantly evolving, changing Companions, Changing Doctors, Changing Show Runners and thereby keeping itself fresh and not same old same old. Even when they do a similar story that has been done before, it's different by virtue of the Show Runner, Companions and Doctor Actor who are doing that story.
Except for when they do very similar feeling stories that also happen to be only a few episodes apart, like "The Idiot's Lantern" & "Fear Her" in Season 2 or "Night Terrors" & "The God Complex" in Season 6.
Old October 20 2012, 01:01 AM   #20
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Except for when they do very similar feeling stories that also happen to be only a few episodes apart, like "The Idiot's Lantern" & "Fear Her" in Season 2 or "Night Terrors" & "The God Complex" in Season 6.
Well sure, you should never recycle the same script in the same Season/Series, especially not with only a 13 Ep Commitmient (Plus Christmas Special). Though I gotta say, The God Complex was much more enjoyable to me than Night Terrors. I'd actually lump it in with Fear Her rather than The God Complex, though.

I was actually talking about T. Baker/Sarahjane could recycle a Pertwee/Jo Grant script or Davison and his full boat could recycle a Troughton/Zoe-Jamie Script, or Moffat/Smith could recycle an RTD/Eccelston or Tennant Script. File the Serial Numbers off of course (No need to remake it, if it's a Dalek script, redo it as Cybermen...) and it can still feel fresh, because it's that specific Companion/Doctor/Show Runner's first time doing XXXXXXX or YYYYYYY

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; October 20 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote