RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,568
Posts: 5,514,248
Members: 25,148
Currently online: 417
Newest member: Brian R.W.

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 18 2012, 05:25 AM   #136
SG-17
Commodore
 
SG-17's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

What if whatever the infection is, it possesses photosynthetic capabilities? So that the infection itself can get energy from the Sun and it shares some with its host so its host can still somewhat function?

Also the way Jenner explained it, the brain stem is reactivated. Which means that all lower functions like respiration, digestion, pulmonary should still work.
SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 09:37 AM   #137
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDonner&Blitzen's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

^^ I thought about the photosynthesis angle as well.

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Zombies flying would be ridiculous, but zombies spontaneously developing a perpetual, self-sustaining energy system is totally believable?
No, just easier to spin. You can say that the Zombies are eating rodents or bugs when no one is looking. Or perhaps they are absorbing or somehow feeding from the very bacteria that would cause decomposition. There's really no good way to spin a flying Zombie (so to speak).

Requires energy to move the muscles in a human body. Zombies aren't eating, or at least aren't getting anything from it, as stated above. Where's this energy source? Perfectly believable under current laws of physics that the virus could provide a boost, and this would keep the zombies going as it burned through all the reserves and the zombie ran out of gas eventually. Not something that can be maintained forever, though, unless the magic virus also has the key to unlimited energy sources that require no input or fuel to maintain.
Maybe the Zombie outbreak was the result of cold fusion experiments gone awry.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDonner&Blitzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 10:15 AM   #138
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Chicago, IL
View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

SG-17 wrote: View Post
What if whatever the infection is, it possesses photosynthetic capabilities? So that the infection itself can get energy from the Sun and it shares some with its host so its host can still somewhat function?

Also the way Jenner explained it, the brain stem is reactivated. Which means that all lower functions like respiration, digestion, pulmonary should still work.
Nope those systems don't work. A zombie is perfectly capable of functioning without a heart, lungs, stomach etc. Hell in last weeks ep, we saw a head still chomping without a body.
__________________
Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 01:31 PM   #139
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

SonOfMogh wrote: View Post

Maybe they thought they were on to something, but that facility fell as did the CDC, and there's nobody left with that kind of technology. It's also entirely possible that they would've eventually run into a brick wall with their possible solution.

Jenner didn't even know if it was a virus/ microbe/ bacteria etc with all of his resources, he had been in contact with the French and if they knew this basic bit of information one would have expected them share it with him.
Speaking of which is seems inconceivable to me that with the vast resources the US government has - especially the multiple safe houses the President and his staff in the case of nuclear war that someone out there hasn't made more progress on the infection.

In the novel series World War Z the US government has transformed a aircraft carrier to the new seat of power and Hawaii is zombie free.

Yet, in the Walking Dead the whole world has gone to shit and there doesn't seem to be any organized military effort to eradicate the problem. Why?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 02:59 PM   #140
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Because outside of the quick CDC arc, they've just ignored the outside world and focused on our small merry band of zombie slayers. While it's more intimate this way, I wouldn't mind a peek at the larger issues occasionally, even if it's just showing us that the world is borked and not coming back any time soon. At least show us some more failed attempts, or to use your example, that the US tried to hang on, but that carrier eventually failed too...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 04:27 PM   #141
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Chicago, IL
View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

DarthTom wrote: View Post
SonOfMogh wrote: View Post

Maybe they thought they were on to something, but that facility fell as did the CDC, and there's nobody left with that kind of technology. It's also entirely possible that they would've eventually run into a brick wall with their possible solution.

Jenner didn't even know if it was a virus/ microbe/ bacteria etc with all of his resources, he had been in contact with the French and if they knew this basic bit of information one would have expected them share it with him.
Speaking of which is seems inconceivable to me that with the vast resources the US government has - especially the multiple safe houses the President and his staff in the case of nuclear war that someone out there hasn't made more progress on the infection.

In the novel series World War Z the US government has transformed a aircraft carrier to the new seat of power and Hawaii is zombie free.

Yet, in the Walking Dead the whole world has gone to shit and there doesn't seem to be any organized military effort to eradicate the problem. Why?

Well WWZ takes place over a 10 year time span. The "after action" report that Max Brooks is supposedly writing for the UN is shortly after the end of major hostilites more than a decade afte the Great Panic.

I believe in the book it was not long after the start of the Great Panic and the collapse of the major cities that the US and most other functioning military authories decided to follow the Redekker Plan and simply fall back to fortified positions and regroup/rebuild. It was several years after the Panic that the UN started to coordinate the global offensive.

Season 3 of the Walking Dead takes place about 1 year after their version of the Great Panic. Remeber in Season 2 we did see some flashbacks to the early military attempts to keep the Zs at bay. Remember, Atlanta was firebombed (thoug, oddly it showed no signs of it while they were in the city).

Even assuming that TWD followed WWZ's timeliine, we would still be a couple of years away from any organized military offensive. Plus, even in the book, there were communities and people that went years without seeing ANY efforts from armed forces.
__________________
Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 04:53 PM   #142
Stiletto
Fleet Captain
 
Stiletto's Avatar
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

The thing that is different between World War Z and The Walking Dead is that no matter how you die (unless it is because of brain trauma) you will reanimate in TWD. Imagine a secured area, a military area even, some marine decides that he doesn't want to live anymore and dies in his sleep, he could reanimate and kill all the guys in his barracks.
__________________
I'm an outcast to the ignorance of other people's mental jails.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 04:56 PM   #143
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Because outside of the quick CDC arc, they've just ignored the outside world and focused on our small merry band of zombie slayers. While it's more intimate this way, I wouldn't mind a peek at the larger issues occasionally, even if it's just showing us that the world is borked and not coming back any time soon. At least show us some more failed attempts, or to use your example, that the US tried to hang on, but that carrier eventually failed too...
This is true and I as well would love to look at the larger issues. If AMC isn't already planning either after TWD's enormous success:

1. A spin off perhaps mini-series about what we are discussing

2. A full fledged movie about it.

They are idiots.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 06:54 PM   #144
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

I kinda wonder what the scope of this show is going to be anyways. Like how many seasons are they planning on? Clearly at this point, they're not in danger of cancellation, so they probably are going to have to choose when to end. Personally, if the quality remained consistent, I could probably watch this show for a very long time.

But maybe there's a point at which they will be satisfied with this story? Like maybe Rick dying or something. I don't know what their ultimate goal is, but I'm guessing the ending is not going to be the end of zombies or anything happy like that.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:22 PM   #145
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Chicago, IL
View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I kinda wonder what the scope of this show is going to be anyways. Like how many seasons are they planning on? Clearly at this point, they're not in danger of cancellation, so they probably are going to have to choose when to end. Personally, if the quality remained consistent, I could probably watch this show for a very long time.

But maybe there's a point at which they will be satisfied with this story? Like maybe Rick dying or something. I don't know what their ultimate goal is, but I'm guessing the ending is not going to be the end of zombies or anything happy like that.
I don't think that they have an endgame in mind. I know that Kirkman recently stated something to the effect that he'd love to keep this going for 25 seasons and the comics show no sign of ending.

Personally I think that the best sort of ending will be one where they focus on the relationship between Rick and Carl. Specifically, it should be about Rick's attempts to keep his son safe, help in grow up, teach him to survive and do all of that without becoming one of the living monsters that have become just as frighting as dead.

Assuming that they will never find a remedy to the Zombie Plague, the larger story should be about how humanity adapts to no longer being exclusively at the top of the food chain. What kind of world will Rick and the other surviors leave behind. Will humanity just revert to being savages or will we find a way to retain our better selves and create a future worth living for.

The question of why continue, why go on, and why bring kids into that situation keeps coming up. That's the question that should finally get answered.
__________________
Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:26 PM   #146
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I kinda wonder what the scope of this show is going to be anyways. Like how many seasons are they planning on? Clearly at this point, they're not in danger of cancellation, so they probably are going to have to choose when to end. Personally, if the quality remained consistent, I could probably watch this show for a very long time.

But maybe there's a point at which they will be satisfied with this story? Like maybe Rick dying or something. I don't know what their ultimate goal is, but I'm guessing the ending is not going to be the end of zombies or anything happy like that.
Well the Comics/Graphic Novels are apparently quite a bit ahead of the TV Show, and still going strong, and audience for the TV Show continues to grow (Despite losing 10 Million possible viewers for the Season Premiere due to Dish dropping AMC), so, I would imagine as long as ratings continue to increase, or don't drop considerably (They were pretty excited to break the 5 Million mark with Dish viewers in S1, I believe) they'll probably keep it going, unless the Actors become too expensive for the ratings. The way it's looking now, I wouldn't be surprised to see it continue for at least another 3 more seasons.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:54 PM   #147
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore
 
Mark_Nguyen's Avatar
 
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

The comics are a gold mine of originality and they've barely scratched what it offers in terms of plot and characters. Robert Kirkman has stated he wants to have a 300-issue run (they're at #103 this week in a monthly series), and apparently has an arc and a finale planned.

That said, I would like the TV show to have a conclusion that they would ultimately work towards, and to continue its independence from the comics.

Mark

#sixseasonsandamovie
__________________
Mark Nguyen - Producer
The 404s - Improv Comedy Group

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 08:35 PM   #148
Bumbles861
Admiral
 
Bumbles861's Avatar
 
Location: bbailey861 in Kingston, ON
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

The wife and I are new to this series and courtesy of our son have started season 1. At this point, we are only a few episodes into it, but what a ride. We are PVRing S3, so we should be able to catch up in a few weeks time.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 08:52 PM   #149
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
The wife and I are new to this series and courtesy of our son have started season 1. At this point, we are only a few episodes into it, but what a ride. We are PVRing S3, so we should be able to catch up in a few weeks time.
You know what's fascinating to me about The Walking Dead is the number of women who are into the show. Normally I'd expect this show to skew with males 18-35, primarily but males generally.

However, at least personally for me - I know as many women as men who enjoy the show.

I wonder if my anecdotal exprience bods out to the actual ratings?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 09:43 PM   #150
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

DarthTom wrote: View Post
bbailey861 wrote: View Post
The wife and I are new to this series and courtesy of our son have started season 1. At this point, we are only a few episodes into it, but what a ride. We are PVRing S3, so we should be able to catch up in a few weeks time.
You know what's fascinating to me about The Walking Dead is the number of women who are into the show. Normally I'd expect this show to skew with males 18-35, primarily but males generally.

However, at least personally for me - I know as many women as men who enjoy the show.

I wonder if my anecdotal exprience bods out to the actual ratings?
I'm a woman and a hairdresser, and I have to say this show (and trek of course) gives me something to talk about with my male teenage clients. In fact I think one came in this week just to talk about the show. He didn't really need a haircut.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
the walking dead, twd

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.